Help choosing an amplifier and speakers

I have an Edwards Audio TT1 and the Green Talk Zephyr cartridge which is the equivalent of the AT95E ones I have had before. I had considered upgrading to the Red Ortofon once I have sorted the speakers and amp.
Isn’t the TT1 a rebadged Rega RP2 with RB251 tonearm ??

@LJD123, have you decided which eq your going to buy?

Ah. I think I have been persuaded that the QAcoustics 3050i Speakers are the ones for me. Still undecided between the Rega Brio and the Rotel A11 tribute. I have been trying to find somewhere not too far away to listen to the Rega. I did see one second hand for £280 which is a possibility.

Ah. I think I have been persuaded that the QAcoustics 3050i Speakers are the ones for me. Still undecided between the Rega Brio and the Rotel A11 tribute. I have been trying to find somewhere not too far away to listen to the Rega. I did see one second hand for £280 which is a possibility.
How about the Marantz PM8006, Arcam S10, Rotel 14?

The Rotel as mentioned we’ll be great with QAcoustic speakers.

QAcoustic has laidback midrange. Think like your are at a concert. Instead of sitting in front of concert row, you’re sitting a tad farther away.

Listen to this video. Listen to the voices on the qAcoustic.

Possibly, though they are all about a hundred more than the amps I was considering. If I can hear a noticeable difference if and when I can arrange a demonstration, then maybe. Possibly leaning toward the Rega as it is described as being very good in terms of the phono stage, and that is my main source.

The Rotel as mentioned we’ll be great with QAcoustic speakers.

QAcoustic has laidback midrange. Think like your are at a concert. Instead of sitting in front of concert row, you’re sitting a tad farther away.

Listen to this video. Listen to the voices on the qAcoustic.

Thanks very useful to hear

I did see one second hand for £280 which is a possibility.
Be careful as to what model of Brio you are looking at. The older Brio were labelled Brio-R and are full sized. The new mode, just labelled Brio is the smaller unit but is better than the older model.

I demoed the Rega, Rotel, Arcam SA10 and Audiolab 6000A which I rejected due to potential software issues I’d read about.

Tbh, all 3 sounded decent, I went with the Rega on the basis of it being a “vinyl amp” and it’s looks (which some people mightn’t take to.

More that happy with it, after 18 months or so - I’m not getting upgrade fever.

Hi,

I have the Rotel A11 Tribute you are considering, but haven't heard the other two amps, although the Rego Brio is super popular amongst AVForums members. I really enjoy the Rotel, having tried a few others, I have settled with this one for now. It provides a nice blend of smoothness and clarity, but is a little light on the bass. The bass sounds well formed and natural, but it seems to play it down just a little in terms of bass weight and slam. Rotel is probably aware of this, and have included several built-in EQ options to boost the bass. I never use them personally. What you get is a beautiful soundstage, nice imaging, and plenty of detail and a smooth, natural, effortless delivery (at least to me and for the price). They didn't change the built-in phono preamp, so it is the same as the old Rotel A11. Sounds fine to me though. I imagine the Rega Brio may be better though. Oh, one more thing...the A11 Tribute is rated at 50w by Rotel, but an independent test put it at 78w per channel into 8 Ohms continuous, with peaks up to nearly 120w per channel. In other words, its a lot more powerful than the specs show. It has a funny volume meter, and is very quiet below 40%, but after that it begins to come into full force. I generally keep it around 50-60. I spoke to Rotel about my concerns about turning an amp up to 60% to get a good listening volume and they said not to worry. The number on the dial isn't percentage of the amp's power being used. Even at 75 and up, there is still plenty left in reserve. Although they don't recommend long periods of play at levels much higher than this. I can honestly say that with the Bronze 5s, at 75 on the dial, it would be freaking loud.

To me, the Rotel may not pair well with Klipsch speakers. I haven't tried the combo, but, at least to me, the Rotel pairs better with smoother speakers, like the Q Acoustics 3050i. Klipsch are known for being pretty "rock and roll", very exciting and lively, even bright or harsh. It is a matter of personal taste though. If you like that kind of sound, then it may work for you. Probably sounds great with heavy metal and punk, etc, but I don't listen to these genres, so have no idea. I like to relax when I listen. Exciting speakers paired with the Rotel can be a bit too much for me. I am a fan of Monitor Audio speakers myself. They have a reputation for being a bit bright, although I have not experienced this myself. I confess to only having tried the Bronze ranges. Maybe the silver or gold ranges are more lively.

Hope that helps :) Good luck with choosing a new system.
Just wanted to say thanks so much for this advice. All the replies to this post were very helpful. After a bit of a delay I bought the Rotel A11 Tribute amplifier and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 200. I am really enjoying rediscovering my record collection as well as finding an unexpected pleasure in playing CDs which sound amazing through this set up. The idiosyncratic volume control calibration on the Rotel did throw me a bit at first but I am getting my head round it now.
Initially I found the volume input via the phono stage a bit low. Fitted new stylus and increased the stylus weight slightly, then cut the length of the speaker cable I had. This had quite a dramatic effect in increasing volume and especially bass.
All in all very happy so thanks again for all the advice folks.

Glad to hear you got sorted. A general point you’ll probably aware of but you’ll often find vinyl quieter than it’s equivalent CD, took me a while to get that ! But seems you’ve had a positive work around.

Pleased to see more positive comments on the A11 I started a thread on the A11 vs Denon recently as I’m considering a set up for ano room possibly.
Had a look at the A11 yesterday a very smart looking piece of kit.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom