Help choosing a tumble dryer

sonysean

Established Member
Reaction score
This'll be the first tumble dryer we've owned, but have decided that we don't really want to go another Autumn/Winter with having to hang washing indoors often etc which takes ages to dry and can cause damp smells in the house.

Don't particularly want to spend a ton on a dryer, and due to the time and budgeting am looking at getting one interest free 'buy now pay later', which narrows my options down a bit as am looking at purchasing from Very who offer this service.

The options in our price range seem to be mostly Candy/Hoover with the odd Hotpoint, but having no experience in dryers am not sure which of these brands would be best to go for?

Also am not entirely sure whether to pay a bit extra and go for a heat pump one as I'm aware these use a lot less energy compared to a condensor, though take longer to dry clothes.
There's also less choices for me with heat pumps as they're more expensive.

Any advice on which of these would be the better choice?

Candy 8kg heat pump:

Hoover 9kg heat pump:

Hoover 8kg condenser:

Candy 10kg condenser:

Hotpoint 8kg condenser:

Not particularly worried about the colour as it will be going in our shed so doesn't need to match anything.

After owning quite a few condenser dryers and now owning a heat pump dryer, I wouldn't go back.

We've be had our Hotpoint for about 4 months and its great. More expensive to buy, but cheaper in the long run as they are nearly twice as cheap to run.

Also they are kinder to your clothes as they don't get as hot as a condenser. You can even put Wool items in on ours.

I don't regret getting one at all.

Just to add, ive just noticed you've said its going in your shed. Iassume the shed will get cold in winter?

If so a heat pump dryer is not recommended as most wont work properly below 10 degrees c.

Cheap heat pump dryers tend not to work very well. You will need it running in a hot room and not a colder outhouse etc. I would not bother simply buy the best tumble dryer you can afford.

Candy market appliances with the Hoover brand name, so basically they are the same thing.

Thank you both.

Yes unfortunately it'll be in the shed as we've no room inside for one, so that irons out getting a heat pump then it seems.

I've now also widened my search to AO.com which have a lot more to choose from compared to Very and they offer a similar scheme like what I'm looking for.

I should probably say I don't really want to spend more than £300, and would like one with a 'gentle' program for wool items etc.

I'm looking at the top end of my budget and compared 2 Hoover's and a Candy. The Candy model seems to have the best reviews along with the gentle wool program, 10kg load, water container in door for £269.

Then I did further comparing and compared that Candy model with this Sharp and this cheaper Candy.
Out of these three the Sharp sounds like the best all-rounder with more programs including wool, better energy consumption and a 2 year warranty.

I think I've spent more time now deciding on a dryer than I did a TV earlier this year.. o_O

After spending another 20 minutes browsing, I think I'm feeling confident about this Hotpoint.

It seems to get favourable ratings/reviews, has 9kg capacity, Wool certification, easy access water container, time left display etc.

£290 on AO and £299 on Very however Very have a 10% off voucher so it'll be cheaper there.

I'm close to commiting to the Hotpoint unless anyone can put me off?

Can I ask why you've discounted the vented style? We've got a vented one and very happy with it. It takes about 40 mins to dry a 5kg load.

This one: Buy Hotpoint TVFS73BGG.9 7KG Vented Tumble Dryer - Graphite | Tumble dryers | Argos

Don't want to have to worry about cutting a hole in the shed to allow for a vent for it (and there are no windows to open to just place a pipe out of for it).

Also, future wise when we move and the dryer comes with us, the same will apply not having to think about where to place it so much as you don't need a vent/window for it.

I see you have a Hotpoint though, any issues with it as that's what I'm now leaning towards brand-wise?

I was quite happy with an Indesit condenser dryer that I had in my garage for 3 years, worked fine and no holes required. I managed to sell it when I move because I had a built-in one. Maybe worth a look

Don't want to have to worry about cutting a hole in the shed to allow for a vent for it (and there are no windows to open to just place a pipe out of for it).

Also, future wise when we move and the dryer comes with us, the same will apply not having to think about where to place it so much as you don't need a vent/window for it.

I see you have a Hotpoint though, any issues with it as that's what I'm now leaning towards brand-wise?
Fair enough. Our utility room had a hole in the wall from the previous owners so thankfully it wasn't an issue.

We're very happy with the Hotpoint we bought; good build quality, sensor dry works very well, and nice modern aesthetic.

OP, I recommend getting a German branded tumble dryer as the chances of it lasting longer - and performing better - are much much higher than the cheaper brands. Obviously something like a Miele is out of your budget but if you can stretch your budget to £400, then this Bosch condenser seems like a good option:

I perhaps should have posted that in the end I ordered the Hotpoint.

I realise Bosch is a very good brand but it's a bit more than the budget really allows for at the moment and I'm hoping that the majority of positive reviews for Hotpoint dryers are infact truthful and we have the same experience.

Will be delivered tomorrow :)

Not sure if putting in the shed would be the best option as this may cause condensation on the interior of the shed and also may attract mice into your shed seeking for warmth. The heat that these tumble driers emit is very warm and i've heard that heat pump ones dont tend to work as well as condensing ones in the cold (Not sure how true that is though)

Not sure if putting in the shed would be the best option as this may cause condensation on the interior of the shed and also may attract mice into your shed seeking for warmth. The heat that these tumble driers emit is very warm and i've heard that heat pump ones dont tend to work as well as condensing ones in the cold (Not sure how true that is though)
Have had the dryer for a few weeks now and so far so good.
No condensation anywhere. I have a temperature gauge in the shed which I’ve noticed goes from about 14 to 19/c after the dryer has been on for a while.
Wouldn’t have thought attracting mice would be an issue given the warmth only really lasts a few hours at a time, and so far I’d say on average I’ve used it twice a week.

Excellent dryer though, so far very happy with having it :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom