Help choosing a sub.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by adamhamilton, Mar 2, 2001.

1. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If anyone has any experience of the subs below, please can you give me your opinion.

B&W ASW500
    Monitor Audio ASW110
    REL Q100E

My current speakers are KEF Q's (35.2, 95c.2, 15.2)

Room size is 3.4M x 4.8M

Thanks,

2. Koen

Koen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear Adam,
    I've heard the B&W 500, and the Rel q100e.
    The 500 is of course no match for the Rel, but it did do quite for the price. The B&W was thight and firm, and went pretty deep for such a small enclosure. Not very powerfull though. The Rel was even more musical, went far deeper into the bass, but unfortunately also far deeper into your wallet. In a room of the size your listening I'd opt for a smaller model from Rel, or something like Tannoy Mxsub. I found the B&W 500 to be a little expensive for what you get. Hope this helps !
    Koen

"I'll be right here"

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have the MA ASW110, a cute little sub with good bang, and it's pretty fast, too (switchable between audio and video).
    I also listended to the REL Q100E though I could not do a direct comparision.
    I then decided for the MA as I bought it together with my new speaker setup and because (I dare to admit) looks matters.

Performance is IMHO top notch and it matches perfectly my other speakers (MA PMC series), the only complain I have is that there is no power on delay for the internal amp, ie it gives a "thump" when switching it on.
    Not a big problem though ....

4. adamhamilton

adamhamilton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I went and had a demo of all three today, side by side (actually they didn't have the Rel Q100E so I listened to the Q200E instead).

I came home with the MA ASW110.

The Rel sounded complete sh*t - I think the young lad demoing didn't know how to set it up correctly, nor did I for that matter but I tried to and I just couldn't get it to sound as good as the MA no matter what I tried.

The B&W was a VERY close second, for such a cheap sub I was really impressed. I chose the MA because I could adjust the crossover freq. and it sounded a little better with music.

Thanks everyone.