• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help choosing a small tv please.

dan6789

Established Member
I'm looking for a decent bedroom TV without wanting to spend a fortune and quite like the look of the Samsungs. However I cannot decide whether to go for the SM2333HD (£214.99 at Dixons) which is a 1080P monitor with digital tv tuner and seems to get very good reviews or Samsung LE22S86BD (about £220 or £177 if graded) or Samsung LE22B450 (£212 at Dixons), both of which are TVs rather than monitors. There's also the Samsung T220HD at Richer Sounds.

I'm usually pretty good at working out which is best but I can't get anywhere with this. I think the LE22B450 is an older model than the L22S86BD but the differences in features and resolution etc are confusing.

I am also open to other suggestions but would prefer to stick with a decent brand (Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony etc)

I am only likely to use it as a TV if that helps.

Thanks

YellowSphere

Prominent Member
Basically, look for either 1366x768 or 1920x1080 resolution, as these are the standard 16:9 resolutions for television use. Anything else will be distorting the picture in some way.

Which resolution to go for? It doesn't matter that much, really. To be honest, the easiest way to separate TVs like this is the design. Bear in mind that ones which are televisions rather than monitors will usually have more flexible connectivity for standard television sources if that'd ever be a worry. You may also get better sound quality (though still won't be great) with a dedicated TV model, as well as an on screen menu based more around TV use.

dan6789

Established Member
I'm still struggling with this but have also had a further thought. I'm wondering whether I am best waiting until next spring so that I can get one with HD Freeview built in. Any thoughts?

YellowSphere

Prominent Member
Not only will you be waiting longer than spring to have them built into sets, I would've thought, but HD makes little or not odds on a television of this size.

mrash

Established Member
For a TV of this size its pointless spending extra on a 1080p set. SD will look better on the 720 resolution TVs.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom