Help Choosing a replacement for my Onkyo 875

lilmil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I recently sold my Onkyo 875 for only 265 as I needed the cash and like to change my equipment around every so often!

My problem now is that I am looking for a replacement and no other receiver seems to be as good value or much better for not too much more!

Assuming a budget of maybe 300-500 what would people recommend. Is it possible to get a pre/power amp setup for the upper end of that which would beat the onkyo?

My front speakers are Dynaudio Contour 1 mkII, centre is a Dynaudio Audience c120+ and rears are wharfedale diamond 9.1s. The Contours are 4ohm and the rest 6ohm.

I would be grateful for any thoughts people have!

There is no way you will get a pre/power amp for £500 even second hand so I would discount that option. Your speakers are reasonably low impedance so need a fairly beefy reciever to be able to handle them without risking either the speakers or reciever.
I would be looking at the Yamaha 106x or 206x or Denon 23xx or 33xx as equivalents to your old reciever. If you do not mind forgoing audio over HDMI then the Arcam 350 would be worth a look as well.

What would pre/power amp cost? Using a 275 Onkyo like my old one as the pre, how much would I need to spend on a power amp that was better quality than the onkyo. How do the yamaha and denons stack up compared to the onkyo? Any advantages or should I just be sticking to the onkyo and find another one!

Yamaha/Denon have a different sound to Onkyo (warm compared to bright). This is siad to be better for music but can lack detail with films. If you liked your Onkyo sound then it may be better to stick to brighter sounding amps like Onkyo/Sony/Pioneer.
A multichannel power amp will cost at least £500 I would guess if not more (look at ones made by Arcam or audiolab on ebay as an example of secondhand value).

Thanks. I see this in the classifieds:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/ampl...egra-dta-9-4-7-channel-class-d-power-amp.html

Would this with an 875 give me a much better sound?

Isn't there any way to get it a bit better without spending over twice as much? I was expecting maybe a recommendation for a good stereo amp for the front two speakers?

Or how about using an Onkyo 875 and Arcam AVR300. That wouldnt be much more than 500. Would it be much better?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom