Help choosing a receiver + speakers for £700

Daastle

Novice Member
Hi!

I bought an optoma projector back in March and absolutely love it.
Only issue is, the sound is really letting it down. I've only got a fairly standard soundbar, and I decided I wanted to upgrade. My budget is anywhere between £350 and £700.

My first thoughts was upgrading to a Pioneer HTP74. It has a receiver + speakers for £399 , and I thought it was great. After further research though, I have found out the sub isn't powered and it has no dolby atmos. Also, being an all in one package,will the speakers be good quality? Most online posts say avoid packages due to low quality speakers. Link to Pioneer here

After quite a lot of research, I've realised I watch streaming sites which use Atmos about 95% of the time I'm watching TV. So people have suggested going down the route of receiver + speakers bought separately. My question is...will there be a noticeable difference between this setup and a £350 Pioneer package? I don't want to just spend £650 when I will get the same results out of the £350 pioneer. And whilst I may not enjoy atmos in a 5.1 setup straight away I'd like to have something upgradeable.

I've found this Sony STRDH790 which has Atmos,4k and is very cheap in comparison to others. I am very new to this stuff so I am unsure up to what kind of speakers I can pair it to.ble.

My requirements are 4k passthrough, if possible Atmos (for netflix etc),and a phono in for my vinyl. Looking at around £300/£400 for the receiver and £300 for speakers.

Thanks for the help/sorry for the long post.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If you're looking at the Sony, you could pair it with the Wharfedales Moviestar 5.1 speaker package (its a graded 2 warehouse deal - so do read about it) which will get you the system within your budget. For an extra £35 quid for brand new unopened one 5.1 speaker pack. As for Atmos, will you be looking at in-ceiling or upward firing or even using them as front highs with them directing the sound to the seating area?

Daastle

Novice Member
If you're looking at the Sony, you could pair it with the Wharfedales Moviestar 5.1 speaker package (its a graded 2 warehouse deal - so do read about it) which will get you the system within your budget. For an extra £35 quid for brand new unopened one 5.1 speaker pack. As for Atmos, will you be looking at in-ceiling or upward firing or even using them as front highs with them directing the sound to the seating area?

Thanks for the reply. I live in a rented house so can't mount any ceiling speakers, and the two front upfiring ones will be out of my budget and will be bought down the line in about a month or two months.

Do you reckon the wharfedales I linked are compatible/good enough?

I've seen your warehouse one. They look great! How would they compare? Also the Sony looks like a good start doesn't it?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
At the price point, the Sony will be fine and compared to your soundbar, together it and the wharfedales will give a great starting point

Now the hardest one for anyone to answer is, is the system "good enough"? As sound is so suggestive, its impossible to say what your expectations really are. But the system will bring excitement to your room. So, only you'll be able to say if they're "good enough", but I will say for the budget, it will be hard to better other than looking at the second hand market :)

Daastle

Novice Member
At the price point, the Sony will be fine and compared to your soundbar, together it and the wharfedales will give a great starting point

Now the hardest one for anyone to answer is, is the system "good enough"? As sound is so suggestive, its impossible to say what your expectations really are. But the system will bring excitement to your room. So, only you'll be able to say if they're "good enough", but I will say for the budget, it will be hard to better other than looking at the second hand market :)

Thanks a lot mate. As I said I'm only dipping my toes and I'm sure people will look down on what quality etc, but I've only ever had average soundbars so I am sure anything 5.1 will blow my mind. I think I'll bite the bullet.

On another note, I can't seem to find an idiot friendly way of knowing if speakers are compatible with my system. Is there an easy way?

gibbsy

On another note, I can't seem to find an idiot friendly way of knowing if speakers are compatible with my system. Is there an easy way?
Most speakers will be able to be connected to home cinema amps. If you have a look at the Richer Sounds and Peter Tyson web pages there are bundles put together which will give you an idea what speakers and amps go together plus it will give you an idea of what is available for your budget.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom