Help choosing a pair of subs - Monolith's or XTZ's

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Is there any CEA2010 test data available for the 12.17 Edge that shows its measured SPL output at different frequencies?

I ask this because you cannot conclude that just because it’s a 700W 12” sub that it would have more output than say a 500W Mono 12” THX sub because I expect that in practice it may well have less. Specs across different sub brands don’t usually seem to correlate well with performance. For example, REW compression testing has shown me that the 500W 12” sealed SVS SB-2000 in my living room has 3-5dB more in-room SPL output between 30Hz and 80Hz than my old Velodyne 750W 15” ported sub. When looking at the subs with their grills removed it’s clear that the SB-2000’s driver has far more excursion.

There is but they aren´t usefull cause they have used the different port tuning to get higher figures but you would be using one mode. The deep bass oriented mode right bung in, left open with REF is the most used. It won`t give 118db at 2m (outside) at mid-bass range (63hz) like it does in that "party mode" which is only usefull for some music parties, it rolls off fast no deep bass for movies in that mode. So one could get wrong idea looking those graphs.

Naturally Mono 12 offers better performance to both XTZ models which isn`t suprise with the larger cab!

Superslim007

Novice Member
Is there any CEA2010 test data available for the 12.17 Edge that shows its measured SPL output at different frequencies?

I ask this because you cannot conclude that just because it’s a 700W 12” sub that it would have more output than say a 500W Mono 12” THX sub because I expect that in practice it may well have less. Specs across different sub brands don’t usually seem to correlate well with performance. For example, REW compression testing has shown me that the 500W 12” sealed SVS SB-2000 in my living room has 3-5dB more in-room SPL output between 30Hz and 80Hz than my old Velodyne 750W 15” ported sub. When looking at the subs with their grills removed it’s clear that the SB-2000’s driver has far more excursion.
I was comparing 2 of the XTZ's the 12.17 vs the 1x12 cinema on paper they are almost identical spec, I can't see the difference that warrants the extra money on the Cinema 1 x 12.
The price on a pair of 12.17 Edges onto the UK is under £1,100 with discount that's £550.00 each
I am not even going to try and say whether they are better or not than the 12" mono but at Nearly £300.00 each less that the mono they are great value.
I am likely going to get 1 x 15" mono and go solo until I have enough to pair them up

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I was comparing 2 of the XTZ's the 12.17 vs the 1x12 cinema on paper they are almost identical spec, I can't see the difference that warrants the extra money on the Cinema 1 x 12.
The price on a pair of 12.17 Edges onto the UK is under £1,100 with discount that's £550.00 each
I am not even going to try and say whether they are better or not than the 12" mono but at Nearly £300.00 each less that the mono they are great value.
I am likely going to get 1 x 15" mono and go solo until I have enough to pair them up

The Cinema 1x12 has better built cabinet structure than 12.17 Edge and Cinema cab is little bit larger in volume, also it uses sloth port. The amp is made by Claridy Audio which has also designed the Monoprice subs. I think Claridy is behind the Arendal products too at least partly. You won´t notice much difference on paper specs alone with the XTZs. You need to see measured performance output, extension, distortion, compression etc. then you will see that Monoprice offers better performance and for lower price. If you go to AVSF people say they sound so clean and dry, they can´t make the ports chuff either. Look the size difference, it will also explain where that extra performance is coming (partly):

42,5cm (W) x 58cm (H) x 60cm (D) - Monoprice 12 THX

39,5cm (W) x 51cm (H) x 40cm (D) - XTZ 12.17 Edge

Superslim007

Novice Member
The Cinema 1x12 has better built cabinet structure than 12.17 Edge and Cinema cab is little bit larger in volume, also it uses sloth port. The amp is made by Claridy Audio which has also designed the Monoprice subs. I think Claridy is behind the Arendal products too at least partly. You won´t notice much difference on paper specs alone with the XTZs. You need to see measured performance output, extension, distortion, compression etc. then you will see that Monoprice offers better performance and for lower price. If you go to AVSF people say they sound so clean and dry, they can´t make the ports chuff either. Look the size difference, it will also explain where that extra performance is coming (partly):

42,5cm (W) x 58cm (H) x 60cm (D) - Monoprice 12 THX

39,5cm (W) x 51cm (H) x 40cm (D) - XTZ 12.17 Edge
The amps on the XTZ's are Ice power originally designed for B&O,
"you will see that Monoprice offers better performance and for lower price" How ? I'm not saying they do not offer better performance but at a "Higher" price not lower, well higher than the 12.7 and same price as the Cinema

Last edited:

Superslim007

Novice Member
I have just ordered 2 x 15" mono's and The only issue with the monolith's is just that - they are almost 2' tall - to get them below my screen I may have to put them on their sides - does anyone know if doing so would effect the performance in any way - it shouldn't - right ?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I have just ordered 2 x 15" mono's and The only issue with the monolith's is just that - they are almost 2' tall - to get them below my screen I may have to put them on their sides - does anyone know if doing so would effect the performance in any way - it shouldn't - right ?

Shouldn`t be any issues! You can see some XTZ 3x12s under screen and also Rythmik dual driver FV25HP laying at the back of room. Well this guy has three.

maxresdefault.jpg

MI55ION

Distinguished Member

It could be better or worse, differences should be very minimal, so nothing to worry about.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom