Help choosing a 65'' TV, ~ £1000 budget

Oliver888

Novice Member
Budget: Up to £1,000 but can flex up slightly for something worthwhile. Having said that if you think that based on my use and circumstances something cheaper would be equally good, do let me know.
Size: 65'' but may consider 55'' (see note at the end)
Viewing Distance: Approximately 2.4m
Viewing Angle: no wide viewing angles
Viewing conditions: The TV is in our living room where one of the sides of the room is a window door which leads to the balcony. During weekdays we only watch in the evening with curtains drawn. During the weekend we use the TV throughout the day but mostly during the night with curtains drawn if we are watching a movie.
On a side note - would the TV get damaged over time by being exposed to the sun? Given we live in an apartment there is no direct sunlight exposure but the room is bright if the curtains are not drawn.
Main uses in order from most to least use: Netflix/Amazon Prime, Youtube and watching content by connecting our laptop via HDMI. Our broadband is a 150mb fiber connection from Hyperoptic but the tv is connected via wifi rather than cable so not sure if it is able to stream UHD. Don't watch sports or play video games.
Audio: I have a Yamaha 107 soundbar
Current TV: I currently have a SONY KD55X8995CBU which has unfortunately stopped working (I get a black screen with a white LED light) and as it is outside it is warranty period, it does not seem that it's worth the trouble and money to get it repaired. Have tried the basic recommended troubleshooting tests with no success.
Upgrade expectations: I think the size increase from 55'' to 65'' would really enhance our movie and tv show watching experience. With more 4k content being available on streaming platforms I would ideally like for my tv to be able to show this properly so we can get the most from our viewing experience but at the same time do not want to exceed the budget by much or overpay for it.

Happy to fiddle with calibration to get the TV looking as it should.

Given my experience with my current TV and lack of coverage, I would like to buy from Richersounds as they provide a 6-year cover. The options I see on their website for that size and price range are the following:
  • Hisense 65A6200 £600
  • Philips 65PUS6703 £699
  • Samsung UE65NU7400 or 71000 £699
  • LG 65UK6750PLD £750
  • Hisense U7A £900
  • Panasonic TX65FX700B £999
  • LG 65S8500PLA £1050
  • LG 65SK9500PLA £1200
TV All | Richer Sounds

I am also aware that the following two 55'' models are exceptional when it comes to display quality but I do not really have an informed opinion on whether I should go for quality over size. I am just inclined to go with a bigger screen because as it will feel more of an upgrade. And I don't see myself buying a UHD Blu-Ray player. My content use would continue to be streaming from Netflix/Amazon etc, Youtube and the occasional downloaded movie.
  • Samsung QE55Q6FN £800
  • LG OLED55B8S £1150
Thanks all in advance

Dodgexander

On a side note - would the TV get damaged over time by being exposed to the sun? Given we live in an apartment there is no direct sunlight exposure but the room is bright if the curtains are not drawn.
Only direct sunlight is dangerous.

The problem you are going to have is matching your old TV for specs whilst keeping to a £1000 budget. Having said that if there is a time to do that, it would be now as 2018 models can be found on clearance as new 2019 lines come in.

You want to go with the Hisense U7A at an absolute minimum, it matches the specs of your previous TV but its larger. It isn't going to be good when you use HDR with it though, although I'm not sure from the info you have given already that HDR is really a priority for you at all since your only use of it will be on Amazon if you happen to watch a show that includes HDR or, same with Netflix if you subscribe to the UHD plan. Beware that there are a lot of shows that are in UHD, but not HDR, so by having UHD content does not mean you will automatically get HDR too. Its fully source dependant.

If you are looking for a step up from the Hisense then there are two prime contenders right now around the £1000 mark and that would be the Samsung NU8000 or Q6FN. Prices on TVs fluctuate a lot which means the prices you have looked up for TVs could be different tomorrow, in particular I know people have been able to get the 65" Q6FN for under £1000 whilst you have seen £800 for the 55" version which frankly is poor value. Same with the LG B8 you spotted, some people have found it less than a £1000.

So buying isn't only about which model you go for, but also picking up the right model at the right time, for the right price.

If you are considering also 55" models you'll have to decide whether you want to go larger and get less overall quality or smaller to get better quality. An OLED for example is going to perform a lot better in all areas for your usage than an LCD will, but its up to you whether the extra picture quality compared to an LCD is more important than a size increase. At your viewing distance a 65" TV is certainly a good idea, especially if you want to enjoy more detail from higher quality sources.

EDIT* Two TVs (LG SK8500/SK9500) you are looking at I forgot to mention are overall around as good as the Samsung NU8000/Q6FN but they are using IPS panels. That means the TVs won't perform as good as the Samsung's or Hisense U7A in the dark. If you always have some form of lighting and aren't to critical of parts of the screen not being uniform, they are very good options. Your current TV is using VA type, so you will have a worse contrast ratio and blacks on the LGs.

Last edited:

Oliver888

Novice Member
Thanks for your detailed response, it's much appreciated!

I think I will stick to 65'' given the viewing distance which will also help narrow down my options.

A couple of follow up questions:
I noticed in your best TV's guide you recommend both the Hisense 65A6200 and Hisense U7A.
Is the U7A worth the £300 additional cost?

How does LG SK9500 compare to SK8500 and is it worth the additional £150?
And how do these compare to Hisense U7A?

What do you think of the Philips 65PUS6703? It seems to be highly rated but not sure how it compares to my current tv as well as the recommendation you have given.

Thank you for pointing out that it is possible to get the Samsung NU8000 or Q6FN at a good price. Do you know if any other retailer in the UK offers a 6 year guarantee so I can check their current offering?

As I mentioned before, I am not very familiar with HDR, differences to UHD and 4k etc. I just know that it is considered the best standard of viewing experience at the moment. Any links to guidance would be very helpful. My netflix subscription is the UHD one.

If I do not care about HDR does your recommendation change?
If I do care, it seems that the Hisense U7A would not be very good at it?
Would a TV that is not good at HDR say the Hisense U7A do a good job at displaying UHD/4K content?

Thanks again!

Oliver888

Novice Member
I have been looking at the pricing for the NU8000 and Q6FN and you are absolutely right that there are offers going for just under £1,000 so will consider this if I can find one with extended guarantee included.

Which one of the two would you go for assuming they are about the same price?

Dodgexander

I noticed in your best TV's guide you recommend both the Hisense 65A6200 and Hisense U7A.
Is the U7A worth the £300 additional cost?
The A series lacks the wide colour gamut for better colours with HDR and also a 120hz panel which like your current TV makes the more expensive model better with motion, especially if you want to use motion settings on the TV.
ow does LG SK9500 compare to SK8500 and is it worth the additional £150?
It has better local dimming but its probably not worth another £150.
And how do these compare to Hisense U7A?
They are probably a marginally better package overall than the Hisense but they are not good options for viewing in the dark or dimly lit environments because they use IPS panels. I would compare them more to the Samsung NU8000 or Q6FN but unless you always have a light on or you are willing to invest in bias lighting behind the TV I wouldn't consider them at all because of their worse black levels and contrast ratio.
What do you think of the Philips 65PUS6703? It seems to be highly rated but not sure how it compares to my current tv as well as the recommendation you have given.
Its the same spec as the Hisense A series, not totally sure if it will come with a VA type panel though and it tends to be more expensive than the Hisense. Some Philips seem to come with VA, some with IPS. I haven't heard any feedback either way for this model.
Thank you for pointing out that it is possible to get the Samsung NU8000 or Q6FN at a good price. Do you know if any other retailer in the UK offers a 6 year guarantee so I can check their current offering?
I usually use pricespy.co.uk to compare prices but people on here are very adept at watching out for special deals and coupons too. I know John Lewis is a popular place for people to buy TVs as they have good customer service together with a 5 year warranty. TPS - The Perfect Signal Ltd also offer a 7 year warranty.
When you search on pricespy there will be certain stores that you may not be sure about, some may not offer extended warranty but the reputable ones pop up too when the TVs are available. Its really silly season right now with TVs with the 2018 models in clearance selling out fast so you'll want to be quick if you find the right deal before we are left only with poor value 2019 models.
If I do not care about HDR does your recommendation change?
If you do not care about HDR and you do not use motion settings on the TV the Hisense A series is a good choice, probably though on the prices you are mentioning the U7A is worth the extra. There is no need to get more than those TVs really if you don't care much for HDR but I will warn you that HDR isn't something you can turn off if you are using built in apps. On Amazon to not use it you have to watch the HD only version of the program and on Netflix you have to downgrade to a HD only plan. Otherwise shows that are available in HDR will be shown in HDR no matter how poorly the TV displays them.
If I do care, it seems that the Hisense U7A would not be very good at it?
Yes, it doesn't get very bright and lacks local dimming. The only part its decent at with HDR is better colours.
Would a TV that is not good at HDR say the Hisense U7A do a good job at displaying UHD/4K content?
If it doesn't include HDR, yes. For example shows on Netflix like the stranger things and breaking bad which are 4k titles without HDR it will be very good. If you are forced to watch a show with HDR too though you may not be happy with the TV.
I have been looking at the pricing for the NU8000 and Q6FN and you are absolutely right that there are offers going for just under £1,000 so will consider this if I can find one with extended guarantee included.

Which one of the two would you go for assuming they are about the same price?
They are practically the same TV but the Q6FN has more vivid colours when using HDR.

Oliver888

Novice Member
Thanks again!

I am about to pull the trigger for Q6FN @ £969.

Anything else I should know before making the purchase?

Oliver888

Novice Member
Bought it at £929 from Crampton And Moore which includes a 5 year warranty.

You can get it for as low as £896 from their ebay story but that does not have an extended warranty

Samsung QE65Q6FN 65 inch QLED UHD 4K Smart TV 8801643204648 | eBay

Dodgexander -

Any links to guidance to help me become more educated on how to calibrate the tv, have an optimal set-up and take care of it to ensure its longevity would be much appreciated.

Edit:
I found the calibration link you suggested to someone else - Samsung Q6FN Calibration Settings

Would my current soundbar (yamaha 107) work normally?
Do I need to buy an Amazon 4k firestick or anything like that?

Sorry for the beginner's questions but I don't really know much about TVs

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Would my current soundbar (yamaha 107) work normally?
Yes, just use it the same as you did before. Setup HDMI CEC on the TV, specifically ARC. It should walk you through it when you turn it on and extra help will be in the manual.
Do I need to buy an Amazon 4k firestick or anything like that?
What for? The Amazon prime video app is included in the Samsung store, only reason I can see you want a firestick is if you had a particular use for it with Kodi or similar because it runs android.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom