1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help choosing a 26" lcd

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Guthwulf, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Guthwulf

Guthwulf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well for any one whos just wandered into this thread thanks for looking :).

Having searched through the forums over the last week or so I'm no closer to making a decision on what lcd to buy. This is mainly because every time read about a good one, its panned or has its specs disputed the next day :) kindof hard to make an informed decision really :D

Basically I'm looking for the cheapest true 26" (no 24.5" for me thankyou) LCD that will comply with the following.

Reasonable image quality (thats a given really everyone wants it)
    Support for HDCP is an absolute must.
    NTSC & PAL progressive

Component would be nice but the TV won't be used for movies as I have a nice we projecter setup for that. All I want is to replace my pretty defunct CRT with a skyHD compatable unit.

It seems like a tall order expecially as I keep reading about manufactures falsely advertising specs (video 7) or decent LCD's dissapearing from the market Sharp GA4 anyone.

Any help will be greatfully received.

Cheers

Guthy

And despite the fact that aldi is a mere mile from me that medion LCD is so rare it might aswell be made from pure unobtainium. :D

2. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I believe there is still quite a few 26" Sharps left if you look for them. I just think that you can't go wrong with them. Full set of connections and excellent PQ. You could do a lot worse

Cheers

Paul

3. mcf

mcf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    John Lewis have definitely got a few Sharp 26" LCD TVs 3e and 4e, I have seen them in both the Solihull and Cheadle stores, think they were £1250 or £1295, do not know whether this is a good price or not.

4. Guthwulf

Guthwulf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have a john lewis within 10 mins walk from me and your correct about the prices. They are stupendously high though. After what blossom said I did a bit more digging. You can pick the ga4 up for about £850-£900 online, but many people have said on the forum about availablility being a little suspect. On this basis Im a little reluctant I have been stung online before and lost a substantial amount of cash So I only like to bet on a sure thing :) so to speak. I am considering it though. Either that or a 22" samsung small I know but its in a small room and would fit nicely behind the projector screen when its down.

Guthy

5. naisy

naisy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought one from Robertsons online for £870 they have stock

6. blossom

blossom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Naisy,
    £870.00 is an excellent price.

Guthy you could try to get JL to price match and then get the 5 yr warranty thrown in as well. Trouble is as availability becomes less, then JL are less likely to pricematch. Well worth a try though. If you don't ask you don't get. They did it with me. I paid £975.00inc 5 yr warranty. I was well happy.

Good luck

Cheers

Paul

7. Guthwulf

Guthwulf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Bah they won't play ball there is one sat in the store at £1250 but they refuse to price match anyone other than high street stores. Its a shame I got my last 2 tv's from there, not to mention free 5yr cover being good. I'm going to have a browse around maybe i'll even tempt myself by going into aldi :D

Cheers

Guthy