1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Choosing 42" plasma Screen !!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sezzi, Dec 12, 2002.

1. sezzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hi there all Merry Xmas...
    I've decided to treat myself to a nice new shiny 42"plasma Screen
    But have now gone into a complete state of confusion, Having trailed around comet, dixons ect... I now find myself Here searching for advice on which model to purchase,
    Have put to the back of my mind the samsung & LG from the high street after seening a panasonic (37" ?) as demo next to the afore mentioned just as i was ready to part with my hard eardned £££ then proceeded to the sony center to find an even "prettier package" (according to my intended).
    The bit that is really confusing me is the need for the Tuner Box !!!
    If i buy a 42" Toshiba WP27 or Panasonic PDW5BX as the picture quality implies, will i need a tuner box or could i use a dvd recorder like the philips 980 without any loss of picture quality,remote control & other functions, and to throw a spanner in the works then theres the Philips 9964 with the speakers built in + an extra tuner that looks nice but i dont see a great deal of info about.......
    "Please Advise me so i dont have to look at my old Philips 28" matchline" set for two weeks all over Xmas
  2. kev_melon

Standard Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I'd rather not say...
    I have a Panasonic THPW4B 42" Plasma screen on a pedestal stand w/ tuner box and there is a slight AND I mean slight, loss in picture quality. It's not really that noticeable on day to day viewing. But if like me, you're picky about picture quality, then it might just annoy a wee bit.

But it might just be my particular screen. My friend has a 42" Fujitsu screen and it doesn't seem to affect the quality of his picture.

It all depends on your particular preferences. I bought the Panny because of its brightness and contrast ratio. I have a Denon 2800 Mk II DVD player feeding it pics and I'm pleased with the pics in that respect.

I don't know about the Sony as I haven't seen one in action.

My own personal recommendations are Fujitsu or Panasonic