1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help choose DVDR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by TVHEAD, Nov 30, 2004.

1. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have been reading through the threads in this forum for almost a week now, and am finding it :confused: hard to make a decision on what dvdr to go for, :lease: Please give me your advice without going into to much jargon as it’s all a bit over my :suicide: head, I like the spec of the following machines

1, Panasonic DMR-E85HEBS
    2, Toshiba RD-XS32

I will be linked up to a Samsung cable NTL box, so will be recording from this source, I would like a hard disk, and will be watching some copies on other dvd players, I am not very technical :rolleyes: and would really appreciate you knowledge in helping me to make the right decision I have had a lot of bad luck in the past with purchasing electrical goods and do not what to repeat my misfortunes when choosing a new dvdr
    Regards
    TVHEAD

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    I considered both... both seem good machines.

I went for the Toshiba as it did one thing which was important to me that the Panasonic did not - you can create a rewritable (DVD-RW) disc that can be played on another machine. This was important as often the wife wants me to record something for her to watch upstairs where there is another DVD player.

All machines can write to a compatible write-once disc, but for regular record, watch on another player, and wipe, having a compatible recordable format was important to me. The Panasonic of course can also make rewritable discs, but these can't be played on most DVD players.

Mark

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    As redsox_mark states the biggest difference is that the Toshiba records to DVD-RW as well as DVD-RAM and DVD-R. The Panasonic only records to DVD-RAM and DVD-R - although note that for archiving ideally you'd want to use DVD-R anyway. The only real use for DVD-RW is if you want to regularly play DVDRs on (e.g.) an upstairs DVD players. Also in the Toshiba's favour is an iLink connection (for Digital Camcorders) and a wide range of DVD authoring options.

In the Panasonic's favour is the fact it offers the best all round recording quality. It also offers DVD-Audio (2 channel) support.

Bottomline is both are great DVD recorders and you won't go wrong with either.

4. TVHEAD

TVHEAD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for the input I did'nt realise the tosh had rewritable (DVD-RW) and this is impotant to me, sounds like the best price with these features, now to find a good price with 9 mhs % free :)
    FRs
    Colin.

5. Aerotop Dave

Aerotop Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was going to post this in a new thread but it seems like a similar request, so apologies for the thread hijack but it's along similar lines.

Have been reading this forum for a few weeks now but still haven't really found the advice I'm looking for. I want a DVD recorder and this is my situation:

1) Mainly wanted for recording stuff off the telly - programs to watch and then record over again, occasionally to keep, and films - again some to watch and record over, others to keep.
    2) Don't have a camcorder.
    3) Don't have VHS tapes to back up.
    4) Need the disks to play in my Pioneer 444 player and a cheapo one from Tescos.
    5) Will be mainly played back through Philips 32PW9616 tube telly.
    6) Have DVD writers on our PCs so compatibility here would be useful.
    7) Don't want to spend over £200!
    8) Main source will be NTL cable, but probably Sky in the future.

Was looking at Philips DVDR70 but have read lots of problems on here with Philips.
    Then was looking at Panasonic E85 but then read about it's RAM recording thing which means it's not compatible with other players...? (did I understand that right?)

So what should I be buying to fit my criteria above if Philips and Panasonic RAM models are off the list... and are under £200?

Thanks peeps!

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Toshiba DR3 (just over £200)
    Pioneer 220
    Sony GX300 (just over £200)
    Samsung R100
    ...are all good choices.

7. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've had a Philips DVDR70 and 75 for over two years and I haven't had a problem with them. The picture quality is miles better than the new Pioneer DVR-420H I bought last friday. The Pioneer is an awesome machine though.

8. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Aerotop - I can heartily recommend the JVC DR-M10 which is available in black (if that matters) from Highway Hi-FI for £190 - 5 pence. Used it today for the first time to record in SP mode, and couldn't see any difference between the recording and the signal fed into the Nokia TV I have.
    I've recorded The West Wing in XP mode, so it'll be interesting to see if there's any difference in the 2 recording modes given it's an NTL anlog box I'm using.

I'm well pleased with it, and for the money, think it's a bit of a steal.

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    I think there is something wrong with your setup. Even as the weakest of the three popular brands at present the Pioneer 420 should look noticeably better than the DVDR75 - especially at the higher recording modes. Remember the 420 has extensive Picture settings that require tweaking to get your perfect picture: it's not just plug it in and go like the Philips - if you wanted that you should have got a Panny!

10. Aerotop Dave

Aerotop Dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do quite like the Pioneer 220 - but is the lack of component output and progressive scan something I need to think about with my big fat telly?

11. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget the Panny also uses the -R write once format disks which will play on anything, if you must have re-write compatibility the the tosh or the pioneer will be better options. The JVC are good but as you will have no doubt already have read these machines do not support RGB in so any digital signal will be converted to component which will result in a drop in quality.

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    If you have a TV with component inputs - or plan to get one - then yes this should be a concern. Futureproof yourself and go for a model that has them such as the Toshiba DR3, Sony GX300 or Panasonic E55.

13. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    So have you got a Philips DVDR75? I've tweaked and tweaked and the Pioneers picture is not as good as the Philips - especially on the lower settings which I record on 99% of the time. The 6hr record on a Philips is perfectly watchable where the 4 hr record on the Pioneer is equal to it. The Pioneers 6 hr record is crap. On the high settings the Pioneers picture is very good.

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    I had a DVDR75 for 6 months. I currently have a DVDR80 and DVDR615 in my test setup - neither can match the properly setup Pioneer's I have tested. The Pioneer can take a degree of tweaking to get the most out of it though. I would help you troubleshoot but as I am on the brink of going to Japan for a month I don't have the time at present - when I get back in January I will be happy to help.

15. Niburu

Niburu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

Just interested in what you mean by `tweaking` a DVD recorder to achieve a better picture?
    A mate of mine has a Pioneer recorder and we really struggle to see any difference between my Philips 880 and his machine on SP mode. If his machine can be `tweaked` I know he would love to know about it!