1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help choose an ADSL modem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by LiquidTV, May 18, 2005.

1. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys,

I will soon finally be getting broadband where I live. I will be using mostly for gaming. The modem will be connected to a PC, Xbox & PS2 however, only need one of them working at a time. I'm not too bothered if it means I have to get off the chair & flick a switch!!

At the moment BT states that I can only receive 1mb service.

Firstly, I believe I need a modem/router to connect the three devices??

Secondly, what is regarded as the best modem which accomodates the above (ie The one that provides the best connection rate).

Thanks for your help

2. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would go for an ADSL modem with router, which means you can have all your devices connected at the same time (basically, you'll have a home network). The question is whether you want or need wireless connections or if a wired router is sufficient (bear in mind you might get a laptop one day and want to connect wirelessly). Normal non-wireless cable routers with built-in modems are cheap and usually also have a built-in firewall. There are plenty out there, but the major ones are probably Netgear, SMC, Linksys, DLink and a few others (in no particular order). In any case, don't go for the free BT USB modem as it's bad, doesn't have a firewall (software firewalls are not as good) and you cannot connect several devices. Best is probably to get an ADSL2/2+ compatible ADSL Router as it will be future proof and is backwards compatible with normal ADSL (such as this one here)

3. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Judging by the specs of your PC your not adverse to spending on the latest technology. I would go for one of the 108+Mbps wireless routers as they have some of the best range and speeds. It gives you flexibility in the future to add more devices without running cables and is fast enough to stream media stabley. It means when xbox 360 comes out you will be able to make the most of its features.

I would look for products from Linksys and Netgear personally.

4. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks guys, any particular model re above??

5. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    hmm...looks like you'll have to make a decision. I don't think you'll currently find an ADSL2/2+ modem built into a 108Mpbs wireless router. The thing is, if you don't really need wireless at the moment then you could siimply get an ethernet modem and then simply buy a wireless router (without built-in modem) when you need it. by then I'm sure there will be 256Mbps routers...

6. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MPK sorry mate, but at the risk of looking stupid, I'm new to this broadband mularkey. It is not essential for me to have wireless, just a device that I can connect my PC, Xbox & PS2 which provides the best possible performance. I understand from reading other reviews that Linksys, D-Link or Netgear are all pretty good. I obviously need a modem but am confused about ethernet, router & port switches. What exactly do I need?? Can you/anyone recommend any model of these particular makes which will fulfill my requirements.

7. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    No worries. I'm surprised you're new to this with the kind of specs your PC has :). If you don't care about wireless then simply go for a wired broadband router with integrated ADSL modem here

All the brands mentioned above are good. I personally like SMC, but Netgear and Lynksys are fine as well. A couple of things to watch out for: You want and SPI firewall (this means you don't have to use processor power of your pc for a much inferior software firewall). You want about 4 Ethernet Ports to create a home network with your PS2, Xbox and possibly other PCs. You want the latest DSL technology to be able to cope with the upcoming ADSL2/2+. On Broadbanstuff.co.uk, which are not bad, there is only the SMC7904BRA who has all that. Linksys has a model called AG241 which is a 4 port router with ADSL2 (not 2+). DLink has one called 504T but that's only normal ADSL. So your choice really. ADSL2/2+ might not be available just yet but give it a few more months and you'll be surfing with 12Mbps, but that's only if you have the right modem.

8. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MPK, thanks buddy. Yes your quite right having built the damn thing, I should know!! However, I think I must be one of the last areas to get broadband so have never bothered looking into it until now because there was no point. In fact I was surprised we were getting it at all. At one point BT were carrying out those "who interested in broadband surveys". I reckon if they hadn't changed the rules, I would be waiting until the year 2020!! As it happens I only have to wait for a few weeks now, can't wait.

Just changing the subject slightly, my neighbour lives about 50 metres away from me. Are we able to remotely connect our computers so we can both play at the same time against the computer (not against other players) & are there such games in existence??

9. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    there are lots of xbox games where you can play head to head over ethernet and so the answer is yes.

You just need to make a network (ethernet) connection to your neighbour.

I would wire this if poss (security/reliability ) - this can go up to 100m.

But far easier i suspect would be to use wifi - providing you can get a connection above 1Mb there shouldnt be any gaming problems.

10. LiquidTV

LiquidTV
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks psflynn, the wire unfortuneately is not an option as it would have to cross a road. I live in a small rural cul-de-sac so am not too bothered about wireless & the security implications. Just to clarify the last point in that I was asking whether my PC could be remotely connected with my neighbour in order to play against the PC (ie Neighbour & I against say CPU in Far Cry). Hope this makes sense.

11. harmlos

harmlos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would recommend the netgear DG834, it is a adsl modem/router, it has a superb firewall built into it as most netgear products do, it has 4 network ports on it as so you can attach what ever you like, ihave been using mine for about 12months and not once has it failed me. Excellent bit of kit and reasonable priced if i remember. Approx £60ish.

harmlos

12. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok, so a possible configuration would be one of you running a wireless access point/router and the other person would just need a wireless network card.

The person with the wireless network card then needs to match his network settings to the other (or use DHCP on the router) to connect to the others network.

Files will have to be shared for it to all work i suspect, but im not much of a pc gamer so dont know how the multi user games thing will work.

hope this helps slightly.

13. MPK

MPK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    well, if you're talking about PC Games you will be able to play with/against each other anyway over the normal multiplayer access. You simply need to coordinate when you're on and know each others nicknames. However, if you're talking about PS2 and Xbox games I'm not too sure, but if they're XBox live games it should work the same way. Obviously, a direct LAN connection is faster and more reliable, but it also means you can only ever play the two of you. Wireless LAN is the only other solution, so either you or your neighbour will need to get a wireless router.