Question Help choose 65 TV

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi im looking for a TV for living room, Im not sure what to get budget is £1000

Im wanting a 65" 4K HDR but im not sure if I should get flat or curved, I was originally looking at the UE65KS9000 but the price was a bit out of my budget and I was not sure about curved.

Its a large room will curved ok for all viewing angles ?

Get a Sony , you won't be disappointed! And flat not curved. You lose the picture on curved when you view from the sides.

If you're near a pc world they have loads on display, then buy from John Lewis as their warranties are better and they price match.

Any models i should look at around my price range ?

Also most Samsungs seam to be curved

What kind of angle off centre do you need? Curved tv's aren't worse for angles it's the panel type that counts most. KS9000 is a terrific price right now.

I cant find anyone selling the UE65KS9000.

The viewing angle im not sure of the room is quite large, please find attached a basic layout of the room.

room.jpg

Where are you placing the tv though?

The problem is for 1k you are not going to be able to afford a tv that has good viewing angles and decent HDR performance. For that you need to save more for an OLED.

Most decent performing LCD TVs with HDR are also going to cost more, you used to be able to get a Samsung 65 KS7000 for under 2k but that's as low as I would spend if you want decent HDR and it may be difficult to find that tv now.

Then there's viewing angles, the best performing HDR LCD tv's use VA panels which have viewing angles that start to degrade pq once you sit more than 20 degrees off centre, sometimes even 16 degrees.

So given everything without increasing your budget and depending on where you place the tv and how important you find viewing angles at your non straight on viewing positions it may be better to go for an LCD with an IPS panel. You won't get good contrast and blacks like on a VA panel but the picture won't look as bad from the side as they can stretch to 36-40 degrees without reducing pq. Even at tighter angles they still look good vs a VA panel tv.

I was thinking of Wall mounting it next to the fire.

Last edited:
If you want the picture to be good from the left sofa then you will only be able to go for an OLED. Even IPS will be poor at that angle but VA will be unwatchable.

If you don't mind about how well that sofa can see the tv then a VA panel is probably fine for the direct seating position, the corner sofa may have some pq degradation though.

Would it not make a difference if I wall mount it or get a motion mount ?
Would changing the position or or anything else help ?
The fire is electric so it can be moved slightly.

new image below
room.jpg

You're lucky you aren't stuck with a mantelpiece fire. I would move the tv directly in front of the main seating position.

Yes the sofa to the side isn't ideal but you could always compensate for it with a swivel mount. If you take a protractor to the image and with the tv angled you'll see 20° still isn't great but you might find it acceptable. It will certainly be fine when directly in front.

You could perhaps view some models in a store. If you can compare a tv with a known IPS panel like a LGs SUHD to a known VA panel tv like the Samsung SUHD or Hisense SUHD tv and then also compare OLEDs you should see what I mean and if you find the angles on VA panels ok compared you will know you're fine getting one of those.

At 1k and 65"the best tv for pq will be the Hisense M7000. It uses a VA panel. If you feel you're happy having better viewing angles over better contrast and blacks you may want to spend more on a Sony/LG model as they will mostly use IPS panels at your budget.

If going OLED the only one you can get in budget is the FHD 910v. It's also only 55" but will be the best pq out of all especially with better viewing angles.

would I get anything better if I can increase the budget to £1200

If you could afford the 65KS7000 maybe, not anything really between that and the Hisense...apart from Panasonic models with very narrow viewing angles.

Thanks, one of the models ive been looking at is Panasonic TX-65DX750B is that the model you was thinking of ?

also a lot of the good models seam to be getting discontinued inc the 2 models above and in some cases getting replaced with lower end higher priced models,

I have a few question.
1. Now do I just get something as fast as possible so i dont loose the chance or just keep a look out and hope for the best.
2. do I get the biggest size possible or get a higher end smaller size ?

All the 2016 Panasonic models have the narrowest viewing angles from a VA panel losing colour as early as 16° off center.

I have only seen one review of one of their 2017 models and it looked like they improved, that was of the EX-700. E=2017, D=2016. Sadly though the 2017 models aren't great value at the moment, plus i'm not sure exactly how the higher end ones fair. Certainly overall I don't think the EX-700 is worth the extra over its now discounted priced DX-700.

1. The best time to buy a tv is a year behind the release of them. Right now we're getting towards the end of 2016 stock being available which is a risky time, nice bargains are to be found, but stock is running low and will soon sell out. It could be too late depending on which model you are looking at buying. The most sensible thing to do would be to aim at a 2017 model you like the sound of and purchase it either a bit earlier next year or at least wait for deals to start at black friday onward.

2. You should always get the largest screen, this is especially the case with UHD as you need to view approximately twice as close vs FHD to benefit from the extra resolution. For many people this makes UHD pointless though as the majority of people don't view close enough. The optimal viewing distance for a 65" UHD is 1.2m whilst for a 65" FHD TV its twice that. The only time I would go against this rule would be if there is too much of a price difference going larger like there is with the OLEDs or if you could only pick up a very bottom of the range tv in your budget at 65".

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom