Question Help choose 55" TV

jingo09

Novice Member
Reaction score
hello i need some help choosing tv but im not realy sure what should i choose and i didn't set budget for now.
the good models i see in my country is samsung series 7/8 TU (not sure which one is better. Q60 does not seem worth it, same with LG Nano), hisense U8QF/U7QF (from this forum i understand its like the H9G/H8G in US but not sure how its compared to the US version), sony XH9096 (X900H in US). i have now LG UM7340PVA and not realy satisfied from colors, blur and viewing angel (i know VA panels viewing angel is worse than IPS but the viewing angel of IPS is kinda useless for me so i dont mind about this, also i read IPS panels good in day light but not this tv i guess) but the most important thing for me is the quality and reliability of the product. thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Before picking out specific models consider taking the time to understand fundamentals that can make one TV a lot better than the next for your own conditions and usage.

The first thing to consider is HDR. All TVs can accept a HDR signal, but if you want to use it with the TV, you must make sure you buy a model with the correct specifications. 1000 nits peak brightness and local dimming are crucial to a good HDR LCD TV, and the only one you mention that meets that criteria is the Hisense U8Q. (The U8Q is not the equivalent of the H9G, they are different TVs sold in different regions).

If you decide you don't need a good HDR TV then you should decide on the panel type of a budget TV.

Once you spend some time studying these two things, narrowing down your choices should be easier.

Before picking out specific models consider taking the time to understand fundamentals that can make one TV a lot better than the next for your own conditions and usage.

The first thing to consider is HDR. All TVs can accept a HDR signal, but if you want to use it with the TV, you must make sure you buy a model with the correct specifications. 1000 nits peak brightness and local dimming are crucial to a good HDR LCD TV, and the only one you mention that meets that criteria is the Hisense U8Q. (The U8Q is not the equivalent of the H9G, they are different TVs sold in different regions).

If you decide you don't need a good HDR TV then you should decide on the panel type of a budget TV.

Once you spend some time studying these two things, narrowing down your choices should be easier.

from what i read here 2020 Hisense TVs i thought its the model in EU but not the same performance.. so how this compared to H8G and compared to the other models i mentioned or how Hisense in general with TVs?
HDR not realy relevant or important for me
i want try VA panel this time

I don't think its quite as good as the American H9G but its still the cheapest path to get HDR ready specs for as little as possible.

Other LCD TVs like the Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q90T have less drawbacks to the Hisense, but cost a lot more and also offer good HDR performance.

LCDs like the Sony XH9005 (X900H American model) don't really meet those baseline HDR specs, but can get you there in some titles better than others. This would be a good compromise between the two. But beware because its brightness is pretty low, some HDR content will be better than others.

I don't think its quite as good as the American H9G but its still the cheapest path to get HDR ready specs for as little as possible.

Other LCD TVs like the Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q90T have less drawbacks to the Hisense, but cost a lot more and also offer good HDR performance.

LCDs like the Sony XH9005 (X900H American model) don't really meet those baseline HDR specs, but can get you there in some titles better than others. This would be a good compromise between the two. But beware because its brightness is pretty low, some HDR content will be better than others.

thank you i was looking for some answers. like i said HDR not important for me. you didnt even talk about the Samsung series 7/8 so i guess they not worth it? i tend to go with the hisense U7QF OR U8QF because they much cheaper than the Sony but how Hisense TVs when its come to quality and reliability?

thank you i was looking for some answers. like i said HDR not important for me. you didnt even talk about the Samsung series 7/8 so i guess they not worth it? i tend to go with the hisense U7QF OR U8QF because they much cheaper than the Sony but how Hisense TVs when its come to quality and reliability?
Usually the Samsung models are more expensive. Sony XH9505 is about equal to the Q90T. The Q85T isn't far behind.
If you happen to get the American Samsung TVs rather than European, the Q80T may also be considered.

Usually the Samsung models are more expensive. Sony XH9505 is about equal to the Q90T. The Q85T isn't far behind.
If you happen to get the American Samsung TVs rather than European, the Q80T may also be considered.

hmm im talking about the TU 7000/7100/8000/8500

hmm im talking about the TU 7000/7100/8000/8500
I don't recommend their TVs at 55" because its impossible to know which panel they come with in Europe. If you get different models (like the USA ones) then they are always VA.

If you buy 50" or 58" they are always VA.

Otherwise you play the panel lottery game between VA and IPS.

They also do not offer the same price vs performance ratio of the Hisense U8Q or Sony XH9005.

The Q80T Samsung may be similar in price to the XH9005 and is about its equal if you can find it.

I don't recommend their TVs at 55" because its impossible to know which panel they come with in Europe. If you get different models (like the USA ones) then they are always VA.

They also do not offer the same price vs performance ratio of the Hisense U8Q or Sony XH9005.

The Q80T Samsung may be similar in price to the XH9005 and is about its equal if you can find it.

i see.. but i can ask in store. so i tend more to the U7QF because of the price (not decided yet) but i wonder if the 50hz is a big disadvantage? im not gonna use this for gaming.
also do you know any good site i can see all details of all TVs models so i can see the difference?
the Q80T cost much more than the sony for me and sony is the maximum price i can spend.

There's not really a good site like rtings.com for EU models. You can sometimes compare similar TVs on rtings though.

60hz TVs come with more motion blur than 120hz models, that's the main downside to them. They also don't give you the same flexibility to remove stutter or judder as 120hz ones do. Most people are fine with a 60hz TV.

The store won't know which type of panel comes on the TV. They can guess based on the showroom model if it is the same revision/manufacturer date as the one you'll receive. You can check with them if its okay to return the TV if you aren't happy with it though.

There's not really a good site like rtings.com for EU models. You can sometimes compare similar TVs on rtings though.

60hz TVs come with more motion blur than 120hz models, that's the main downside to them. They also don't give you the same flexibility to remove stutter or judder as 120hz ones do. Most people are fine with a 60hz TV.

The store won't know which type of panel comes on the TV. They can guess based on the showroom model if it is the same revision/manufacturer date as the one you'll receive. You can check with them if its okay to return the TV if you aren't happy with it though.

oh i see now that in UK this model is 60hz but in my country they 50hz and the U8Q 100hz so i guess i need to reconsider again what to buy based on the few details the stores have in my country. i realy cant understand why they dont make the same tv and same names to all countries, anyway thank you for your help.

Hello, looking as well for a 55'' tv just for streaming services no digital tv only netflix/prime ecc ecc. Price range around £500/600. No gaming only watching series and films. U7QFT was my original choice but many sites point to the TU8500 or TCL roku as the best budget tv. I like the remote of the Hisense to be fair

oh i see now that in UK this model is 60hz but in my country they 50hz and the U8Q 100hz so i guess i need to reconsider again what to buy based on the few details the stores have in my country. i realy cant understand why they dont make the same tv and same names to all countries, anyway thank you for your help.
There's no such thing as a 50 or 100hz TVs. They just advertise them as being that refresh rate to match PAL TV frame rate. Every 50hz TV is 60hz, and every 100hz is 120hz.
Hello, looking as well for a 55'' tv just for streaming services no digital tv only netflix/prime ecc ecc. Price range around £500/600. No gaming only watching series and films. U7QFT was my original choice but many sites point to the TU8500 or TCL roku as the best budget tv. I like the remote of the Hisense to be fair
It's currently in progress but best buys are all here: **New** My best value TVs, 2020-2021 Edition

They are ranked in order of best to worse, at 55" I'd recommend not buying Samsung due to panel lottery problems, you can read in the guide more about that. 58" Samsungs are safer bets.

There are no TCL Roku TVs in Europe, only in the Americas. There's a 2019 Hisense Roku TV that may be in stock at your local Argos though. Search for the Hisense 55B7120 model.

Thanks, very nice. I see that the Hisense I though the U7QFT is in the list so that's good at least. I think I'm going for that one. It is priced as £545 now which should be a nice price for that tv I hope. What about the panasonic 55HX580BZ?

Thanks, very nice. I see that the Hisense I though the U7QFT is in the list so that's good at least. I think I'm going for that one. It is priced as £545 now which should be a nice price for that tv I hope. What about the panasonic 55HX580BZ?
Its best to avoid the cheaper Panasonic's, I've added them to the section of the guide marked "Alternative TVs I can't recommend". Basically they are not true Panasonics. But assembled by Vestel, the same company that makes all the cheap supermarket TV specials like Hitachi, Blaupunkt etc.

Is there a qualified source for this statement? about the panel lottery between VA and IPS?

Its best to avoid the cheaper Panasonic's, I've added them to the section of the guide marked "Alternative TVs I can't recommend". Basically they are not true Panasonics. But assembled by Vestel, the same company that makes all the cheap supermarket TV specials like Hitachi, Blaupunkt etc.

Between the Philips 58PUS8505 and Hisense 55U7QFTUK what would be your take? You mention both in your guide specifying that there are no major differences

both close and VA but I think Hisense 55U7QFTUK

Is there a qualified source for this statement? about the panel lottery between VA and IPS?
I'm not sure what you are asking for. There's not really any source from Samsung on panel info, they don't give the information away. All we as consumers can do is study reviews of TVs and see the type of panels that come on the TVs in those reviews. Unfortunately they have a tendancy to put different types of panels sometimes on the same TV range, so its impossible to predict which type you get on certain models and most sizes. Once you get to the Q70T in their lineup its safe you receive a VA type panel. Otherwise I'd suggest making sure you can return the TV in case you are unhappy with the type of panel it comes with.
Or go for 50/58" sizes which are always VA.

I've given up recommending their lower tier models because of this.

I did find a chart here: Samsung телевизори (инфо на първа страница) - Страница 20 but I'm not sure how accurate it is, or if your region will have the same results.
Between the Philips 58PUS8505 and Hisense 55U7QFTUK what would be your take? You mention both in your guide specifying that there are no major differences
You may have viewed the guide before I made some changes but really the U7Q is ahead of the other budget TVs because of its local dimming and peak brightness. You can go for the Philips model instead if you want Android TV built in, or you want better motion processing.

I'm not sure what you are asking for. There's not really any source from Samsung on panel info, they don't give the information away. All we as consumers can do is study reviews of TVs and see the type of panels that come on the TVs in those reviews. Unfortunately they have a tendancy to put different types of panels sometimes on the same TV range, so its impossible to predict which type you get on certain models and most sizes. Once you get to the Q70T in their lineup its safe you receive a VA type panel. Otherwise I'd suggest making sure you can return the TV in case you are unhappy with the type of panel it comes with.

I did find a chart here: Samsung телевизори (инфо на първа страница) - Страница 20 but I'm not sure how accurate it is, or if your region will have the same results.

You may have viewed the guide before I made some changes but really the U7Q is ahead of the other budget TVs because of its local dimming and peak brightness. You can go for the Philips model instead if you want Android TV built in, or you want better motion processing.

That's great thanks. Actually I'm now considering a sale for the nano86, it should be better that the U7Q and I'm at the max limit to the budget I can spend

no only get the nano 86 if your in a very bright room. much worst tv that is

i ask for a source to know this true for sure and not just because someone said in 2015 that Samsung TVs can be IPS or VA without a proof. because when i asked people they said all is the same VA panel, i dont know who is right. so what i ask for is some proof because i couldnt find any on internet, like from where you know that 50/58" always VA panel and 55" is a lottery..?

I know 50" and 58" is always VA because there are no IPS panels sold at these sizes.

For proof of which panel comes on the 55" TVs, there isn't any. If there was I would be able to recommend those models. If you have proof 55" Samsungs are VA, please link the proof.

I know 50" and 58" is always VA because there are no IPS panels sold at these sizes.

For proof of which panel comes on the 55" TVs, there isn't any. If there was I would be able to recommend those models. If you have proof 55" Samsungs are VA, please link the proof.
i dont ask for proof for what panel a certian tv have i ask for proof for your statement that samsung series 7 or 8 55" can be VA or IPS that all. its not an argument i just wanna know who is right and according to this decide what TV should i buy. for the proof you want for some reason the only thing i can say is that every site i search i see that this TVs are VA and when i search for some peace of information about ( in internet or you ) Samsung and 55" IPS/VA lottery i get nothing. if you say this there must be something you read or you saw that make you say this and that what i want.

No arguing here buddy. There are several reviews stating the 55" TU8000 has a VA panel, so if that's what you want, maybe you are safe buying it. The link I sent from setcomb.bg is pretty reliable, but even so there may be mistakes, or different panels in different regions.

Even different panels started at one time of year, but later to another.
There's no proof, just lots of experience, reading and users complaining they bought a Samsung expecting it to be a VA panel when its not. All you can do is read local reviews and hope you end up with the same panel as reviewed.

I'd love to recommend Samsung TVs, and I recommend them at 50" and 58" when I know the user will receive a VA panel. I don't personally have confidence they use VA at other sizes, or will change which panels they use half way through the production.

Hopefully it all changes next year, since they will no longer be producing their own panels.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom