Help changing hard drive on my Dell laptop

Reaction score
So the 500gb hard drive on my Dell M5110 has gone and needs replacing. After a little research I found out that the hard drive was buried inside the system rather than the pull out style.

I have never changed a hard drive on any laptop ever so trust me to have the laptop with the fiddly job. I found this video on youtube... and I reckon I should be able to follow it step by step quite easily (I think).

So just a couple of questions really....

1. Should I do this myself or get/pay someone with a bit more know how to help me out?
2. Which hard drive do I buy? Are they all the same? Where should I get one from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have very little knowledge in buying/replacing hard drives.

Neil.

Pull out style drives are generally found on business laptops, where functionality is more important than sveltness.

1. What's your general level of knowledge and concerns?

2. The major choice will be between a hard drive and a solid state drive and that'll depend on the capacity you require and your budget (SSD is better if you can afford it). If you go for a hard drive then the important points are RPM (7200rpm is faster but slightly more power hungry than 5400rpm) and thickness (12.5mm, 9.5mm, 7mm etc.) All three hard drive brands are solid.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom