Help change from 5.1 to 6.1 with bose

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jules12, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Jules12

Jules12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi
    I wonder if anyone out there can help me with my predicament.
    I have a 5.1 set up at the moment using the Bose Accoustimass 15 speaker package. I am looking to upgrade to 6.1 discrete with a new amp.
    My problem is that the bose the 5.1 set up goes like this. 5 speaker leads from amp to sub then the five speakers leads run off the sub the the speakers.
    Does anyone know how I can manage to get a 6.1 set up from this. Do I have to buy a set of rear speakers and run them on the centre rear posts from the amp, if so how will this sound?? or is there a way of buying another set of bose speakers and running the seven speakers from the one sub woofer?

2. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im thinking bose speaker sets are much like packard bell computers.
    They are what you buy but cant be anything else.

Baiscly the sub has a crossover built into it sending a high passed signal to the cubes.
    So if you cant put 7 channels in you cant get them out.
    I doubt bose will sell you single cubes and with running them through the sub crossover network i doubt they would sound anygood.

If anyone knows anything i dont please help this guy out.
    If im correct please confirm so he doesnt dissmiss this as the ramlings of a fool :rolleyes:

3. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    Hi

I have thought about this - I think you would have to buy 2 dual cubes with a small acoustimaster module probably an Acoustimaster 3 model

Then plug the speaker connections into your amplifier

The backs do not have to be so detailed as the fronts so single cubes would probably be ok as oppose to double cubes

Then you could place the small acoustimaster module at the back of your room - near the cube speakers - ensuring the integration between the cubes and the bass is ok

I would ask to get a demonstration first at a dealer. I think the only thing you would have to test is the bass distribution

Hope it helps

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I would suggest getting another system similar to the one you have just with only 2 cubes rather than 5. Run these as your front left and right and redirect your current left and right pair to the rear channel, you can run 2 speakers instead of one, it sounds much better.

5. Jules12

Jules12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the info guys, but if you don't mind I have one more question. If I a buy another 2 cubes with an accoustimass module, will I need to have an AV amp with two sub woofer pre-outs or is there some kind of splitter device so I can plug both modules into the same preout socket on the amp?

I would apprecite any ideas of how to get pass this problem also. Sorry to be a pain a bit new to all this, but it keeps you all on your toes doesn't it!:D

6. riddler

riddler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you buy a 2 channel bose pair you wouldnt wire to the sub out , but to the left and right pair.
    The amp would see it as a stero pair.
    The module is there to support the two cubes rather than being a sub in the hc terms.

So it would be left/right into the module then out from the module into the two cubes.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If the sub is at speaker level in-line with the small cubes then run all the speakers as large, with sub set to no, unless you have a dedicated power subwoofer for the LFE channel.

8. Jules12

Jules12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ah I think I understand now. I was getting confused because the accoustimass module I have is an active sub, but the new one wouldn't be so I could just connect the new one straight to the speaker terminals and leave the active sub the only one connected to the sub pre out yes?
    Do you all think that this will sound ok?

9. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    If you run the current active subwoofer off the sub pre-out and all the current speakers as small this will work fine.

Add the 2 new speakers with passive sub as you front stereo pair and configure them as large.

Set the bass to sub only, rather than sub and fronts.

Have fun!