• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help! Celine Dion refuses to perform on BD35!

antsims

Distinguished Member
Some of you might think that's a blessing but I happen to like her!

I have a pana bd35 and all i get is u73. Now I get this with most if not all discs, but after a while the player kicks into life and plays the disc (using the new pana ptae3000 pj to display images). But with celine live in vegas the menu appears, I choose the audio and hit enter. I then get u73 again but now I get sound from my onkyo but no picture on the screen. When I play this disc through the tv, it works (I use a manual switcher between tv/pj).

It's very strange as this is the only disc that won't play!

Any ideas/suggestions? Please!

kingfats

Distinguished Member
But with celine live in vegas the menu appears, I choose the audio and hit enter. I then get u73 again but now I get sound from my onkyo but no picture on the screen. When I play this disc through the tv, it works (I use a manual switcher between tv/pj).

It's very strange as this is the only disc that won't play!

Any ideas/suggestions? Please!

Hi antsims. :)
Have you tried the disc @ 1080i? sorry if you have.
All the best.

antsims

Distinguished Member
Hi both

Just checked on tv, it's showing @ 1920 x 1080 60. This is not 1080p is it?

If thats the case my pj should still recognize it and play it should it not? It plays sky hd (also not full hd) no problem without me having to change any settings.

So should I change the bd35 settings to reflect 1080i and then it should play on pj? Seems a potch, I just want pj to recognize anything I throw at it without making any changes!

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
It sounds like your cable to the PJ is not up to scratch.

If most Blu-ray's have problems to start with but eventually get going, it does suggest you are right on the edge of the cables operating limits.

With HDMI, the cabling is all about the bandwidth the cable can deliver over the required distance.

Most Blu-ray films are 1080p at 24 frames per second. What your TV is telling you is that your BD35 is sending the lovely Celine at 1080p at 60 frames a second. That over twice the amount of data per second than 1080p/24...

Do you also have deep colour enabled? If so, this can further increase data rate by anoth 50-100%.

So, make sure deep colour is turned off, then try 1080i or 720p with Celine. If your PJ can handle 1080i and (if the source is 24fps) turn that back into 1080p/24, then for most BD's you won't lose anything...

However, ironically, for UK DVD's, which are 50HZ, if you upscale, you will get 1080p/50 which is still double 24, so may also have issues.

If 720p/1080i works, then I would look at getting a new cable between the switch box and PJ. I would also buy from somewhere that will let you try or return a cable if it doesn't work. No need to spend crazy money, but longer lengths do require better build to get the higher bandwidth signals through correctly.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the celine BD is shot on video so isn't 1080p/24, hence you get 1080p/60 output.

Last edited:

antsims

Distinguished Member
I am using a long cable (15 ft) but had no problems with last pj using this lead (optoma hd700x) but that was only 1080i so perhaps that's why!?

However just put hdmi straight from player to pj (omitting switcher) and it worked ok. Must be my cheap switcher. Just ordered another automatic one which also states it has an in built amplifier for longer cables. Hopefully this will cure problem. Will let you know.

Thanks for all your help!

It sounds like your cable to the PJ is not up to scratch.

If most Blu-ray's have problems to start with but eventually get going, it does suggest you are right on the edge of the cables operating limits.

With HDMI, the cabling is all about the bandwidth the cable can deliver over the required distance.

Most Blu-ray films are 1080p at 24 frames per second. What your TV is telling you is that your BD35 is sending the lovely Celine at 1080p at 60 frames a second. That over twice the amount of data per second than 1080p/24...

Do you also have deep colour enabled? If so, this can further increase data rate by anoth 50-100%.

So, make sure deep colour is turned off, then try 1080i or 720p with Celine. If your PJ can handle 1080i and (if the source is 24fps) turn that back into 1080p/24, then for most BD's you won't lose anything...

However, ironically, for UK DVD's, which are 50HZ, if you upscale, you will get 1080p/50 which is still double 24, so may also have issues.

If 720p/1080i works, then I would look at getting a new cable between the switch box and PJ. I would also buy from somewhere that will let you try or return a cable if it doesn't work. No need to spend crazy money, but longer lengths do require better build to get the higher bandwidth signals through correctly.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the celine BD is shot on video so isn't 1080p/24, hence you get 1080p/60 output.

Robst

Hi antsims,

Just being nosey, but which switchbox were you using (so that I can avoid it) and which one are you going for now?

I have a 12m Mark Grant HDMI cable running from my Sony BDP-550 to my Pana PTAX-200E PJ and have no problems at 1080/24p, but would also like to split the HDMI out to run to my TV (as only getting 480/576P via Component at the moment).

I was looking at the Neet ones Neet - 1x2 Port HDMI SMART MINI SPLITTER BOX 1080p: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

All the Best
Rob

vader100

You lucky bugger!!:D

Sorry,couldn't resist it. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom