1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP - CD Burning using Roxio or Nero

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by lcarter, Jan 23, 2004.

1. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having trouble since I have a new PC using Windows XP in buring to CD's. When I was using Windows 98 burning with Nero was a doddle, no problems whatsoever, but since I have been using XP I have been pulling my hair out as half way thru the PC freezes up (not always). So I had been looking at alternative software and choose Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator 6, but again (not always) but about 4 cd's out of 10 the system freezes. I have a Lite-on LTR52246S (3.1.0), it seems the problem is when it is caching (not sure what caching is) but example: when it starts caching the read speed estimates starts off 13.0x or 12.3x etc but when it comes to the last few tracks it slows i.e., 28 tracks it starts 12.0x until about track 21 then its lucky if it is 2.1x or 0.4x etc then system freezes.
    When it gets past the caching part, writing to CD is brilliant, so you can imagine when it is caching I am sitting watching the screen sweating hoping it gets past the caching stage.
    Please please pretty please HELP
    :rolleyes:

2. InsertNameHere

InsertNameHere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi there

Uninstall the current version of Nero on your computer, head over to the Ahead's website (http://www.ahead.de) and download the latest version.

For Nero 5.5, you want to go here: http://www.ahead.de/en/631933457317970.html
    For Nero 6, you want to go here: http://www.ahead.de/en/nero-up.php

After you've installed that, enter your serial and give it a whirl. If you were using this program with Windows 98, chances are you have an older version. I have 5.5.10.54 on my computer (operating with Windows XP) and it works fine. If it doesn't do the trick, then chances are its your CD writer. Since it’s a new(ish) drive, try updating your firmware or giving Nero 6 a go (if you haven't already) – you get a free 30 day trial anyway.

Also when burning a CD, disable any programs you have running (especially Anti virus software) and burn at reasonable speeds ;). It might be worth burning at 8x or something, just to see how its goes…

Anyway, don't know whether that’s of any help. (Probably just telling you things you already know ;).) Either way hope you get it sorted out.

Alex

3. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    I suugested in your first thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=112104 to get the latest version of Nero. Did you try that one or did you use the version from your previous computer ?

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,757
    I've also found it helps to turn off the facility that allows XP to write to CDs directly.

5. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I am running an old Nero Ver 5 which was intended for Windows 98, interesting you have Nero 5.5.10.54 running on XP, I have a copy of Nero 5.5.9, so will try that.
    Also am running AVG Antivirus - will turn that off as well.
    JohnG - How do I turn off facility allowing XP to write to cd's directly?

Thanks to all

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,757
    Go into "My Computer"
    Right click on the CDRW drive and click "properties"
    click the "recording" tab
    make sure there is no tick in the "enable cd recording on this drive" box.

7. lcarter

lcarter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks John
    Maybe that was the problem