HELP: CAT5e to HDMI - Double CAT5 cable run, one damaged after redecoration.

Ctof86

Novice Member
Hi all,

As title says, for a client I have run 2x CAT5e cables (approx 60m) for use of HDMI. I tested the cables with the converters after installation and all was good.

However, the decorators came in after me to re-plaster and have damaged one of the CAT5e cables (only 7 out of 8 test). They have also removed the conduit in various places so re-running another cable or replacing the single cable with CAT 6 is not an option sadly.

Can anyone suggest a single CAT5e to HDMI converter that will work on >60m distance?

Just found this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDBaseT-Ext...d=1446038511&sr=8-2&keywords=HDBaseT+extender

Is there anything else I could do to resolve it?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Rip it out, replace it and call the plasterers back it at their expense...

We recently had an issue where carpet fitters damaged an induction loop, which was laid under protective boarding, under the carpet. The whole lot had to come up and the carpet re-laid.

Talk to the project manager and find out why they had to remove the conduit. I would expect to be called back in after 1st fix if the plasterers could not plaster without removing installed cabling.

Ctof86

Novice Member
Rip it out, replace it and call the plasterers back it at their expense...

We recently had an issue where carpet fitters damaged an induction loop, which was laid under protective boarding, under the carpet. The whole lot had to come up and the carpet re-laid.

Talk to the project manager and find out why they had to remove the conduit. I would expect to be called back in after 1st fix if the plasterers could not plaster without removing installed cabling.

Thanks for your response however this is not an option that the client is wanting to explore... It was a mate who did it all as a favour.

I would be happy to hack off the plaster and relay the cable but he is adamant that is not happening. Hence I am seeking alternative solutions.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

I assume you can't see the cable? Is it possible they damaged the plugs or the cable right at the end? Personally I'd replace the plugs on both ends on the off chance. It's worth ten minutes to rule it out isn't it?

Ctof86

Novice Member
I assume you can't see the cable? Is it possible they damaged the plugs or the cable right at the end? Personally I'd replace the plugs on both ends on the off chance. It's worth ten minutes to rule it out isn't it?

Thanks for your reply.

Nah, all cable has been buried by plaster.

I have clipped both ends and re-terminated twice to no avail. Same issue of cable 1 of 8 providing no reading.

:(

neilball

Well if you want a hassle-free extender over a single Cat5e cable then HDBaseT is the only practical solution. Go for "full" HDBT rather than the "Lite" version and you should be fine even if the distance is over 60m.

neilball

That's a "Lite" model as it only reaches a maximum of 70m. The full version will be advertised with a 100m range.

Very strange description as 70m only using Cat6A.

As been mentioned by me and others elsewhere this is very very low cost for a HDBaseT extender, we have got one to test but havent had the time yet.

However best bet is to get one and if it doesnt work you can return it within 14 days anyway

I would always recommend HDBaseT rather than any propietary standard for single HDMI Over Catx, what may work now may not work with another set of equipment.

illusion

My advice would be get a HDBT based solution they're by far the most stable I went through trying a whole bunch of stuff a while back and of all the stuff I had they worked exactly as described. I even tried it with joins and pieces of old cable all cat-5e and it still worked up to over 90m (Not HDBT-Lite obviously).
If you get HDBT Lite it's not going to carry Ethernet but your broken cable could be okay for 100Base-T which only uses 4 wires (1,2,3,6) Obviously you'd need to do some creative rewiring I'd just try wiring it backwards (8,7,6,3) it's not going to be optimal but if you need a network connection there it's worth trying.

Also if you know anyone with a decent cable tester it should be able to tell the you length of the cable if you think it could be closer to 70m than 60m

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom