Help - Car speakers

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Shakey21, May 21, 2004.

1. Shakey21

Shakey21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    My in door speakers have just died on me and as I know nothing about this kind of stuff I thought I would ask you guys for some advice.

I have Renult Laguna (1997) with 16.5cm in door speakers. I need some speakers to replace these but I don't know the first thing about them.

I went into Halfords for a look at what they had and I liked the sound of these infinity speakers:

http://www.cel-direct.com/detail.asp?ProductID=36002i265

Anyway, different web sites say they are different sizes some say they are 16.5cm and some say 17cm (least of my worries for now). Also they are coaxial (not sure what that has to do with it)

So what I am basically looking for is a recommendation of a good sounding spair or 16 or 16.5 cm speakers that are up to about £50 in price.

I have a pioneer CD head unit (bought this last year about April) that plays MP3s if that helps.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers.

2. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Hello mate, you have a couple of choices for door speakers. Pioneer and Kenwood for example do custom fit speakers tailored to fit specific makes and model of cars, these should fit straight in. The other option is to buy a normal off the shelf speaker, but expect to have to do some drilling and possibly reshaping of the doorcard. Companys like www.mcs-direct.co.uk or www.icedirect.com will have a bigger range and probably lower prices than Halfords. Nearly forgot Infinity speakers are superb IMHO and would be a wise choice. Co-axil means the speakers may stick out further than conventional single cone speakers.

Cheers, Mylo :)

3. Shakey21

Shakey21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the help mylo, an idea what this coaxial thing is all about and if this limits my choice of speaker?

Cheers.

4. ~Kev H~

~Kev H~
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Co-axial just means that rather than having a seperate unit for the tweeter the speaker will have a tweeter (sometimes a midrange and a tweeter) mounted on top of a column that rises out of the centre of the main cone of the speaker.

Infinity get the thumbs up from me too, kitted my car out with Infinity 6x9's at the back with the Kappa components up front, they sound smooth and detailed. :smashin:

typical coaxial speaker...

Attached Files:

5. Shakey21

Shakey21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Well you learn something every day, thanks Kev.

6. sunil4

sunil4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have a look at

www.caraudiodirect.com

www.caraudiosecurity.com

For reasonable money (<£200), the best components would be Helix or Genesis

Infinitys have quite a harsh sound, depends what you like really, The Gennys are softer and more mellow

7. samhain

samhain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Agreed. Go to car audio direct excellent service. Consider DLS or crystal too. Nice sound for less than £200