Help-Capture card again, Sorry

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by minimivic, Jun 12, 2002.

1. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've looked through lots of posts about TV capture cards and there are no definitive answers ( that I can find ).

I want a card that is capable of recording SKY and preferably use it like a PVR. I am happy to get another dish installed and use a Wintv Nova card, but do they support Dscaler yet?
    The Sat download seems like a good option on the WinTV Nova any experiences?.
    Am I better to get a SKY box with an S-video out and use a different card?
    Falcon is a option but what about the sound issues, is it a problem or can the sound go into the sound card easily?
    How much is the Falcon?
    That will do for now, hope someone can help.:)

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Getting Sky+ would solve most of your problems. PC based PVR solutions simply don't cut it. With Sky + you can use DScaler for the recordings as well as live stuff and keep the sound external. Much more elegant as a solution.

3. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I email the Falcon distributors and got this reply :

1. Falcon PCI Frame Grabber, including demo s/w, Windows Drivers, SDK, Manual unit price: £145.00
    2. Cost of carriage: £10.00
    Total cost: £155.00

prices exclude VAT @ 17.5%. The delivery is ex-stock - next day.

Call it £183 inc.

It put me off a bit at the price, so I'm sticking with my Pinnacle Rave card (£35). I've sheilded it using a tinfoil sandwich (foil and card in an a5 envelope wrapped round the card), I also moved it to the furthest slot from the Radeon to avoid fan interference, I also got an RF filter/surge protector. I cleaned up a lot of the noise and now can use the card without much Noise Reduction, if any.

I only use it with Svideo from my LD and sometimes a stand alone player for dodgy discs and the results are impressive.

Not tried satelite other than through an RF video link, this is not ideal so I reserve judgement!

Nick

4. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I seems to me like its not worth doing TV capture:(

I thought it would be nice to decode Satellite, with the PC and send it to my HT300.
    It seems such a waste using a HTPC just for Movies when TV could be so much better.
    The PVR side would be a bonus but if its not easy its not worth it.

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    #Why not try a Pinnacle or other chreap card that is supported by Dscaler, and give it a go? For the sake of £35 you'll know for sure.

Make sure you do a search on the AVSFORUM in the U.S for the Adaptive noise filter, as these make a great deal of difference.

I get pretty good results, but because I used a video sender and not a direct connection, it could be better. Still, ideal for a room full of people watching the footie!

With Laserdisc and DVD you get a lot better results, I'd say that it's pretty stunning using my old Sony DVD player through the Svideo input. Laserdisc has a fault, and creats a lot of noise, but the filters in Dscaler do a respectable job on it.

Give it a try, for £35 it's a great way to get TV etc onto your projector. VHS, however, looks pretty dire!

Nick

6. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is the Falcon still the Capture card of choice or has something else come along and got it beat.

I want the best possible quality so I can feed sky/dvd/vcr and use dscaler for the resulting image to CRT

Steve

7. oreoboy13

oreoboy13

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant remember where but i read an old thread on here last night that came up with a very good reason to get the cheaper £35 card as a stop gap until the new falcon card comes out.