1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help -can't seem to connect my home cinema speakers to my AV receiver?!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by dumbass, Dec 14, 2004.

1. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer VSX-C501 AV receiver and am trying to connect some QED Genesis Silver Spiral speaker cable. Quite simply, the end of the speaker cable is far too big for the socket... Is there something I need to remove from the connection on the back of the AV receiver? I presumed all speaker cables worked with all AV receivers?!?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

2. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or is it because there are plugs on the ends of the speaker cables? Do I need to strip them back to the wire?

3. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    If your speaker cables have plugs that won't fit into the spring-clip terminals (I'm assuming that's what you have) then you will need to strip them and just plug the bare wire, yes. Won't make it sound worse, plugs are purely for convenience. Say if you have to disconnect and reconnect a lot - I only went to plugs after having to disconnect and reconnect amps 4 times in a week. Never again!

4. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one.

Cheers mate. :smashin:

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    When you strip the wire, make sure you twist the strands of copper - this should prevent short circuiting - plus it'll be easier to thread through the holes!