1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help -can't seem to connect my home cinema speakers to my AV receiver?!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by dumbass, Dec 14, 2004.

1. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Pioneer VSX-C501 AV receiver and am trying to connect some QED Genesis Silver Spiral speaker cable. Quite simply, the end of the speaker cable is far too big for the socket... Is there something I need to remove from the connection on the back of the AV receiver? I presumed all speaker cables worked with all AV receivers?!?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

2. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or is it because there are plugs on the ends of the speaker cables? Do I need to strip them back to the wire?

Help!

thanks again.

3. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    THere are about 3 basic connections:

Simplist is the push & grip where you put the bare wire in the middle and press a button to oen and close the grip. I think you may have these but I could not find a back panel of your av to confirm.

Next are the insert and screw which can us bare wire but also accept a bent pin type connector.

Last but not least are the banana plugs. These can accept wire ends or a push in plug - some say these are best but I won't argue that here. Some amps in this country have them covered with small plastic inserts as there is some rule about open sockets getting mistaen for power ones, you normally remove the cover with a small screwdriver.

Sounds like you have quality cabling so it's likely to have banana plugs.

Do a search for banana plugs and you'll surely find a picture of most types.

My own opinion would be to have a terminated speaker cable and not bare wire.

Hope this helps.

4. dumbass

dumbass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one.

Cheers mate :smashin: