Help : Can't play burned DVD's !!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by LondonCloggy, Sep 5, 2004.

1. LondonCloggy

LondonCloggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I am new to this forum, but have seen some really good answers on other questions. I have got the following question:

I have created a DVD with InterVideo WIN DVD Creator 2 adding some AVI files from my camcorder - all is well, get the message that the burning has completed.

Then, it does not play in my regular Sony DVD player and it also does not play in my DVD burner either, the one I just used to create it in the first place ?

:lease:

I have got a Samsung SH-W08A DVD R/RW writer, a JVC camcorder (bought in US) and a Sony NS705V DVD player

Thanks in advance !!!

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    You need to finalise the media. What application are you using to actually burn the recording (WinDVD Creator itself?)? There should be some sort of option to select marked finalise or alternatively a checkbox you need to untick marked something like 'Add files later'.

3. LondonCloggy

LondonCloggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am indeed using WinDvd Creator itself - can't find any buttons that say finalise or anything else - I have also tried Nero, same result

4. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not familiar with the software but I assume you are not just copying/writing the AVI files to the DVD in some form of "data backup" format. The AVI files will need to be formatted into MPEG2 and the proper files and directory structure created. I would expect WIN DVD Creator 2 to do this automatically but it may be that it also allows data backups. If you "explore" the resultant DVD, can you see files ending in .VOB and .VFO ?

5. LondonCloggy

LondonCloggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - would love to do that, but my DVD burner can'r read the disk - so don't know what is on it.....

6. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the DVD look as though it has been written - you may be able to see a slight change in the colour of the blue/purple surface of the disc. If the disc won't play in either the PC or the Sony DVD player, it may be that the WIN DVD Creator has not actually written the DVD at all. Have you tried to get WINDVD to write to the same DVD again? Does WINDVD have a "test mode" that does not actually write to the DVD but just does a simulation?

7. LondonCloggy

LondonCloggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Part is indeed a different colour - but I can't format the disk anymore, nor write to it - so it looks like it is closed - is there better software I can try ?

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Nero certainly has the options (depending on what version you have I believe you have to click the 'MORE' button on the last screen immediately prior to hitting 'BURN'). Is the finalise checkbox ticked?

The reason I am banging on about this is because a disk not reading in the burner it was created in is a classic symptom of an unfinalised disk.

9. LondonCloggy

LondonCloggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - can't get it to work - used Ulead software and that seems to be okay !