• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HELP - Can't output 576i from Humax Foxsat box!!

Batdog

Hi there

I have my Foxsat connected via HDMI to my amp and then to my HD projector and am very happy with the PQ (particularly BBC-HD).

The issue I am having is that I also have it connected to my 36" CRT via component and am unable to get a picture. I have the switch on the back set to component not RGB so that should be OK.

I think the problem is that my CRT will only accept a 576i signal - not 576p. I'm using the V-FORMAT button on the remote to try to switch to 576i, but it simply toggles between 1080i, 720p & 576p - it doesn't give me the option of selecting 576i!!!

I've kind of seen reference to this by one or two other users in other threads both on this forum and on Digitalspy, but no answers have been given. There seem to be a couple of Humax guys on Digitalspy but my registration hasn't been processed yet so I can't ask them.

Anyone else having this problem?

Batdog

Hi there

I have my Foxsat connected via HDMI to my amp and then to my HD projector and am very happy with the PQ (particularly BBC-HD).

The issue I am having is that I also have it connected to my 36" CRT via component and am unable to get a picture. I have the switch on the back set to component not RGB so that should be OK.

I think the problem is that my CRT will only accept a 576i signal - not 576p. I'm using the V-FORMAT button on the remote to try to switch to 576i, but it simply toggles between 1080i, 720p & 576p - it doesn't give me the option of selecting 576i!!!

I've kind of seen reference to this by one or two other users in other threads both on this forum and on Digitalspy, but no answers have been given. There seem to be a couple of Humax guys on Digitalspy but my registration hasn't been processed yet so I can't ask them.

Anyone else having this problem?

I've now managed to solve my problem. I still can't output 576i but having a scroll through my TV's menus I've set it to progressive mode (didn't realise it could accept a progressive signal) and have 576p showing simultaneously on the PJ and the CRT!!

I remember when I bought the TV reading that it could accept a progressive signal from a progressive scan DVD player, but that it had 'issues' when doing this and was best left receiving an interlaced signal.

Thanks

Whitey1977

I think your problem lies with the fact that standard 576i cannot be used with HDMI. Other equipment can get around this with extra processing but it seems that your box isn't capable of this.

Hope this helps

Whitey

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
I think your problem lies with the fact that standard 576i cannot be used with HDMI.

I think it is more accurate to say that early versions of HDMI can't carry 576i as the 576i pixel/sample rate is too low. More recent versions of HDMI allow it to be carried by pixel/sample doubling (i.e. sending every pixel/sample twice to get the clock rate high enough)

Sky boxes can output 576i via HDMI if "conned" by sources.

Other equipment can get around this with extra processing but it seems that your box isn't capable of this.

Hope this helps

Whitey

Yep - suspect that most boxes only have one video output stage - so have to output the same resolution via HDMI and Component. As a result, if you can't output 576i via HDMI, then you won't be able to output 576i over component if there is a display connected to the HDMI.

Or it may be like the Sky box - you need your HDMI display to convince the set top box that it can accept 576i via HDMI...

Whitey1977

I think it is more accurate to say that early versions of HDMI can't carry 576i as the 576i pixel/sample rate is too low. More recent versions of HDMI allow it to be carried by pixel/sample doubling (i.e. sending every pixel/sample twice to get the clock rate high enough)

That's what I meant by extra processing. I'm sure some manufacturers do not bother to keep costs down

Whitey

Batdog

Seem to have sorted this now by doing a reset to factory default, the resolution was set to 576p, changed this to 576i and can now select 576i under all circumstances.

RandomHajile

maybe its the TV

as in maybe the tv's hdmi input dont take SD interlaced video???

maybe it can only take progressive

i remeber reading way back in 2006 when i got a samsung slimfit hd tv that it only took P for SD over hdmi

technowizard

Seem to have sorted this now by doing a reset to factory default, the resolution was set to 576p, changed this to 576i and can now select 576i under all circumstances.

That's strange because i had the same problem, used that method and it still wasn't fixed.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom