Help, cant get Guideplus to work on my new Pioneer 530H-s

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Marin, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Marin

Marin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,
    im wondering if someone could shed some light on a problem with guideplus and the Pio 530.

Im really happy with my purchase of the 530 but the only part im having trouble is with the initial download of Guideplus.

This is my setup:

TV SCART > Pio 530 AV SCART > NTL Pace box >SCART VHS
    Ariel > Pio 530 > NTL box > VHS >TV

All is setup and working ok and i can watch NTL on av2 and i can watch NTL through the Pio 530 and record ok.

My pace box is a compatible one (4010) with the G-Link and i have successfully set it up so it changes the channel on the Digi box (This is called external receiver 1)

When i turn of the Pio 530 DVDR (and leave the ntl box tuned to ITV or Eurosport) the display shows EPG for a couple of mins then goes away.
    This is unsuccessfull as no EPG has been downloaded.

I then done away with the NTL box as external receiver 1 and just used the ariel connection, with this method the EPG on the box stayed on so i immediatly though it was getting a signal and starting to download.

Unfortunatly 23 hours later this is still showing ( i set it up at 7.30pm last night and at 6.30pm this evening it is still showing) I cancelled it by turning the unit on and low and behold no guideplus had been downloaded.

I dunno what to do next it seems like i have tried the way it recommends but i cannot get it to work.

Any ideas please

Thanx

2. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've setup Guideplus with no external box plugged in.
    Did you put your 530 into STANDBY mode?

3. wallzy

wallzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Im looking at getting one of those red-eye things to make the pace box able to use guide+ has any one installed and using one of these

thanks

wallzy

4. BigBilly

BigBilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Marin

Don't worry I'm having exactly the same problem, just can't seem to get an EPG after 2 days of connected to Aerial only.

Big B

5. Marin

Marin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Found this on the guideplus website

"Yes the GUIDE Plus+ system is available to anyone who can receive ITV through an aerial, or Eurosport via satellite reception. If you have cable reception only, you cannot receive our data."

How do i connect my aeriel up properly then so i can get the siganl down it and to the DVR.

at the moment it is
    Aeriel > DVR aerial socket in then out to > NTL then out to >VHS then into tv

do i need to miss out some of these connections and just plug the ariel into the DVR then out into the tv. What do i then need to tune on the 530

6. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've asked the question once - have you left the 530 in STANDBY mode?
    I tried for 3 days until I realised this.

7. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The manual shows the satbox as the first thing in the aerial chain, before the 530, not after it.

8. Marin

Marin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes i have, thats not the problem

9. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Weird - I can pull the EPG in for any box just through the aeriel lead.
    I just assign a box to an external channel, pretend that the code changed the channel on my imaginary box, put it in to standby and several hours later the EPG comes on.

10. jason1971

jason1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I`m also having probs with guideplus on my new pio 630,only downloaded 6 channels, of which five are the analogue ones plus channel 4..which is odd because i only get ch 4 through the freeview box here in south wales.I also got probs with the G-link,does not change the freeview stb channel in initial set-up.I have got a digifusion fvrt100 pvr set top box.Ive tried phoning pioneer customer support and its a nightmare trying to get through,cant get further than the machine.

11. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    According to this page http://www.europe.guideplus.com/En/help/supextrec_uk.html
    your Digifusion is on the list.

12. Marin

Marin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How have you got your aeriel lead plugged in?, straight into the dvr or another combination?

13. dmpoole

dmpoole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The aeriel goes through a video first but I can't see why that would make a difference.

14. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Nope it should not make any difference, as my aerial goes though the Freeview box, then the sky box and then to the DVd recorder.

Have you filled in your postcode in the box?

15. Marin

Marin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, i filled it in.
    I have tried with no external decoder (just the aeriel) and with the external decoder set (glink changes the channel when doing the test) but still no luck downloading the data for guideplus.

Sometimes the EPG displays for 3 mins then gives up, i have tried again this morning with no exteranl decoder set, and it has been diplaying EPG for about 40 mins now so fingers crossed it might be doing something.

16. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Hi

Have you let the Pioneer tune itself into analogue channels via the aerial? In otherwords, you should be able to watch ITV on the Pioneer once it is set to channel 3 using the Pioneers tuner. Just plugging in an aerial cable in isn't enough.

Regards

Philip

17. Marin

Marin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yup ive auto tuned in the 4 terrestrial channels through the 530 and have them on 1-4 on the unit, still no luck tho, it stayed on EPG for another 24hrs + but still no initial channel data downloaded.

Any other suggestions ?

Is there anywhere which tell you if there is a postcode or area not supported, im beginning to think that im never gonna get this to work.

18. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have a look around http://www.europe.guideplus.com/
    I don't use it so don't know. It may have something.

19. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1. i have r/f aerial direct into HD (not via digibox) - digibox pass thru may strip out the t/text signal

1b - Check you're receiving a good teletext signal (just press t/text on TV whilst you're viewing the HD tuner)

2. ITV is far better host than Eurosport - It doesn't tie up digibox & streams data 24/7 - updates whilever you're tuned to ITV, even when you're recording from it

3. Guideplus can't always find the host channel automatically (as it is suppose to) - You may have to tune it to the host manually to update the guide - Guide updates whether it's ON or in stand by, solong as it's tuned to the host

4. regional settings (& new digiboxes) are only available after the first download (should populate the grid within 24 hrs - another 24 hrs if you need to take advantage of the new features)

5. Only 'some' pace boxes need red-eye adaptor

20. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    6. NTL have some new regional settings (only available after the first download)

21. Stewart57x

Stewart57x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same roblem using my Skybox.

I tune to Eurosport and leave the unit in standby overnight but get nothing - I can't see how this would be postcode dependent if its reveived via Satellite

Also I tried using Videoplus+ and althopugh the unit changes to the right channel during setup, when the program started it didn't move (only one number comes up on the screen)

Anyone with any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Stewart.

22. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does it receive analogue t/text? Many 'digi' boxes don't

While you're tuned to E/Sport press t/text button on TV remote - If there's no text then it won't support the guide+ info either

23. Daftboy

Daftboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Analogue text doesn't matter when connecting to Sky as the data is held on the VBI line output.
    What I mean is the Sky box will probably display text, but it will not output it.
    If you have the original Sky+ box or one of the older Pace boxes, it does not work as their is no data outputted. Check the Guideplus website for confirmation on your box compatibility.
    I'm afraid you cannot rely on the teletext data for compatibility, you need to hook a scope up to the composite output and read the VBI data. Anything less than 6 lines of data = no Guide+ support.

24. mikerblade

mikerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I've had my 530 for a little over a week now and to start with i had many of the same problems that have been posted here, my set up is a old philips freeview box linked into the 530 then 530 to the TV as per the manual and although the guideplus would change the channels NP on the philips you got no downloads if you set it up as per the manual.
    After much head scratching I now have it working fine but there is a catch, if you press guideplus on the remote and scroll along to the editor function make sure that ITV source is set to Tuner, if its set to Ext rec 1 (or whatever input you have your box set to) it wont work even if you have an ariel plugged directly into the 530 and the terestial channels tuned in. Also if you scroll farther to the right and select guideplus system info it will show you the download details (times ect).
    I know that this is pretty much what others have posted but the switching of Itv to tuner at source was the one part that I've never seen mentioned so it may be worth a try to see if that helps, also I switch my 530 off in channel 3
    just in case and if you are getting the download it will have EPG up for approx 2hrs so dont try it if you want to record eastender's for the wife :nono: as the download times for my area seem to be 2pm 7pm and 3am

hope this helps someone and appoligies i do tend to waffel when i post

Mike

25. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have wondered about whether it was necessary to have ITV set to tuner. I am at present testing this. My machine downloads ok with tuner set, yesterday I changed it to Ext 1 to test. I also get downloads at 1400 and 1900 for 2 hours. I dont know about 0300.

26. Phantom Phixer

Phantom Phixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just checked and although I have had ITV set to Ext 1 since yesterday I have new data for next Tuesday in the guide.

27. Marin

Marin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just got back off 2 week hols and thought i would have another go at trying to get it working.

When i scroll across to the editor function i cannot do anything at all, there is nothing to change ??