Help cant decide what to buy

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by cmanutd99, Aug 4, 2006.

1. cmanutd99

cmanutd99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was after any advice that is on offer that can help me decide which HD ready tv to buy!

I have a budget of around £1500ish and was looking at either a 40 or 42inch set. Now i'm not too knowledgeable on the finer aspects of these sets so my first question is LCD or Plasma? What i have read on here and elswhere is swinging me towards a plasma. I currently have sky+ and am considering getting sky hd but havn't decided yet so i would prefer a decent picture on both.
    I really like the look of the panasonic vieras but they seem to cost more than some others(samsung) so if anyone can advise me of any they have or know have good reputations around my price range it would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks

Chris.

2. bsuttie

bsuttie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Choice between LCD or plasma is largely a personal one but dependant on what you are going to be watching and under what conditions.

For a given price you are likely to get a higher resolution LCD panel than plasma. So if you do go for SkyHD and you want the highest resolution images LCD may be the better choice.

Remember "HD Ready" is a marketing tool and there are a lot of panels with that badge that are not much higher than SD resolution.

If you're going to continue watching standard def then it's not an issue and you are probably better with a lower res panel.

LCDs are traditionally poor in terms of black level. Not really an issue during the day or under normal evening viewing conditions, but if you like to turn the lights down low (or off!) to watch a movie of an evening then you will likely find the blacks of an LCD quite "milky".

Other considerations are power consumption, screen reflectivity, burn in worries etc etc

Hope that helps

Brian

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    essentially you get what you pay for. cheaper means you get less, more expensive you get more , you need to decide if the extra features are worth the extra also do youwant a "telly" or an integrated entertainment system?

4. cmanutd99

cmanutd99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies!

i watch the odd film but mainly sport! if i understand you correctly, if i get sky hd then the higher the resolution the better and if not go for a lower one!

Are the panasonic vierias better quality than most as they always seem to be dearer than others that are alike(aside from the sony bravias!)

Cheers

Chris.