Help - cant copy from HDD to DVD

Joddle

Standard Member
Reaction score
I know there is an old thread with this problem but I need some help on this so I can recover my recordings.

I have a Samsung DVD-SH893M PVR which normally seems fine. However, I have never really used the DVD recording mode on it and only occasionally the DVD player so all my recordings are on the hard disk. Now I want to save some recordings onto DVD to clear some HD space but I am having real problems.

The main issue is that I cant seem to get a disk to format fully - Everyting starts OK but then the after about 70% it takes for ever to complete and then the disk seems to finish but in fact it fails. I have tried many brands and types of DVD disk including - and + versions.

Last night I got some new Sony DVD - disks and this time managed to get a recording onto a disk - I even watched it back - but then when I finalised the disk so I could use it on my other DVD player the recording seemed to fail and the disk is now unreadable on either the PVR or on a DVD player or on my PC.

From the other thread mentioend above it seems this model is a real dodo and the problem is not with just my machine - however its now way too later to return it to the shop and I don't have the paper work to do so anyway!

As I have loads of pretty important stuff on the HD what are my options for getting it off and onto other media or another machine - or is there something I am not understanding. Help please.....

I know there is an old thread with this problem but I need some help on this so I can recover my recordings.

I have a Samsung DVD-SH893M PVR which normally seems fine. However, I have never really used the DVD recording mode on it and only occasionally the DVD player so all my recordings are on the hard disk. Now I want to save some recordings onto DVD to clear some HD space but I am having real problems.

The main issue is that I cant seem to get a disk to format fully - Everyting starts OK but then the after about 70% it takes for ever to complete and then the disk seems to finish but in fact it fails. I have tried many brands and types of DVD disk including - and + versions.

Last night I got some new Sony DVD - disks and this time managed to get a recording onto a disk - I even watched it back - but then when I finalised the disk so I could use it on my other DVD player the recording seemed to fail and the disk is now unreadable on either the PVR or on a DVD player or on my PC.

From the other thread mentioend above it seems this model is a real dodo and the problem is not with just my machine - however its now way too later to return it to the shop and I don't have the paper work to do so anyway!

As I have loads of pretty important stuff on the HD what are my options for getting it off and onto other media or another machine - or is there something I am not understanding. Help please.....

There is a great deal of trash media around in the marketplace, and the symptoms you describe are typical of poor media quality.

I suppose it is possible that the laser is weak or dirty but this problem is much rarer than is commonly believed.

Try to obtain media made by Taiyo Yuden factory in Japan using the TYG03 dye. These are regarded as the most reliable discs you can get.
Currently they are sold under the JVC brand although you may be able to obtain them under Taiyo's own name.

If that should fail, the only realistic option for transfer is to Scart to another machine and copy across the material in real time.

I had suspected the media but the disks I use all seem fine on my PC and I have had virtually zero failures there - its only on the PVR that I have issues - is there as reliable way of cleaning the laser? and if its weak then I suppose I am stumped. I will try some of those disks recomended. Also can I record from the hdmi for better quality?

I had suspected the media but the disks I use all seem fine on my PC and I have had virtually zero failures there - its only on the PVR that I have issues - is there as reliable way of cleaning the laser? and if its weak then I suppose I am stumped. I will try some of those disks recomended. Also can I record from the hdmi for better quality?

You cannot record from HDMI. HDMI was largely invented to prevent this. Kit connected by HDMI (digital audio/video) for commercial content uses HDCP ( High Definition Content Protection). Basically a HD source delivering protected content checks that it is delivering content to a display (TV/Monitor). If the destination identifies itself as anything but a display you get a green/blue display. To record HD in HD, you must use an analogue connection, to record it in HD you need a recorder capable of using component video (YCbBr) and a source that can deliver it.

I not too worrie about HD - most of what I have on the HD is what I copied form my old camcorders - both super8 and digital so quyality os not the real issue - its just that I wanted then to copy everything onto CD but now seem not to be able to do it. I did notice though the player has a firewire connection so dont know if I can export via that! - but to what!!!!

I not too worrie about HD - most of what I have on the HD is what I copied form my old camcorders - both super8 and digital so quyality os not the real issue - its just that I wanted then to copy everything onto CD but now seem not to be able to do it. I did notice though the player has a firewire connection so dont know if I can export via that! - but to what!!!!

The Firewire is an input only.

Your only option for good quality recordable output is analogue RGB Scart.

Now I am depressed - can I transplant the HD into another more reliable Sansung machine (if such a thing exists!)?? I think eventually I will need another recorder of some sort as I have loads more video on tapes to transfer but what is the best and most reliable to buy? - I'm certainly not going to get another Samsung although for HD recording it has been great - Its the DVD interface which is bad - it doesn't record and won't even play some reguar DVDs without serious problems although the same discs play fine on the PS3 and my other DVD player.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom