Help Cant connect My Pronto To PC

stealther

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me I ve recently traded my PC for a new Laptop but to my horror discovered that it has no serial port to connect my Pronto SBC Ru890.

Does anybody Know away to connect the pronto using a parrallel port or USB?

You cant do it if you dont have serial port ! I know I tried, I have a belkin usb to serial port and it just dosn't want to know.

The pronto edit software cant find the port.

I still use the laptop to change my pronto configs then send them to one of my pc's over the network and then dload to the pronto.

I would have thought you could get a converter/lead to change the serial connection to a paralell connection,the external modem I had used to have had both a serial and paralell connector on the end of the lead and I used to just connect to which ever port was free.

There is a heck of a lot about this subject on Remotecentral.

I'd recommend a visit to their Pronto forum!

EffTee

Originally posted by smallman28
I would have thought you could get a converter/lead to change the serial connection to a paralell connection,the external modem I had used to have had both a serial and paralell connector on the end of the lead and I used to just connect to which ever port was free.

modems cannot work on a parallel port, dut to the nature of data transfer required.

Your thinking of 9-pin and 25-pin serial connections.

Prontoedit software needs a "hardware COM port", which is not available when using a USB convertor.

Serial port cards are easily avaliable and only cost a few quid, no use for a laptop though, i know.

Originally posted by mjn
Prontoedit software needs a "hardware COM port", which is not available when using a USB convertor.

not true.

my usb to serial cable works fine on XP & 2000 with my pronto.

get a cable from a supplier that will let you return it and try another, and make sure you get the latest drivers.

I got mine from komplett... £18 (not 13 as I originally put).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom