1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[HELP] Canon 300D or Nikon D70..in USA

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Lord Axl, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Lord Axl

Lord Axl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    In a week from today I'll be in New York,and I was going to buy one dig.camera between Canon Eos 300D or Nikon D70.I would like to know,how is the story with taxes in USA?I mean,when you're at the shop and pay for the camera,are there extra taxes to pay for,or this is only for people living in USA or so?It's (will be) my first time in USA,I don't know about this.Anyone knows for sure?Thanks a lot in advance.Lord Axl

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    All prices shown in America (even in McDonalds :rolleyes: ) are excluding State Tax. The amount of this tax varies between different states, but will be added on to everything that you buy at the till.
    I'm not sure about this, but I think that you can claim back the state tax at the airport when leaving the states. Be aware though that this could increase the chances of getting stopped by customs when reentering the UK and being charged VAT & import duty on the camera.

Mark.

3. buddiepaul

buddiepaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Maybe a little late, but I got a Digital Rebel last week in the US. I had to pay state 5% tax which took it to just over $1000. It still is a good buy at that price, though you have to risk being hammered for VAT if you declare it coming back

4. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    I'd go for the D70 every time. It's a beautiful camera and doesn't feel as plasticy as the 300D. And IMHO produces a much better photo.

5. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Utter Rubbish... the 300d has 6.3mp the d70 has 6.1mp not that it would be possible to detect the difference of 200mp

but to say the d70 produces 'a much better photo' is just utter rubbish

6. inkinoo

inkinoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +240
    Megapixels have absolutely nothing to do with photo quality. A Nikon D1h has less than 2.8 megapixels but will produce a better image than most consumer 5 to 6 megapixel cameras.

As I said, in my opinon the D70 produces a much better photo than the 300D. I think the image looks crisper, has more vibrant colours and much better tones. You may disagree with my opinion but to call it 'utter rubbish' is rather immature.

G

7. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I must say that I totally agree with your comment here! It was, when stated earlier, just your opinion and like everybody else on this forum you are fully entitled to your own opinion - wheather its right or wrong!!!

Saying that though, many others have comented that the D70 has better features (its a newer model to the market), but the 300D has better pictures because Canon make better lenses. Yet again though that is just peoples opinions and not necessarily 'fact'.

Mark.

8. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The July issue of What Digital Camera did a direct comparison between the two cameras and I'm afraid the D70 came out on top on most things.

9. busterboy

busterboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still one mans opinion.. :hiya:

Buy another mag and the 300D comes out on top. :rolleyes:

I bought my 300D because I liked it...Simple. ;)

10. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Always makes me laugh when people think a large mp means better picture quality. You can get a 4mp concorde cam that's £90 and its utter rubbish.

11. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want to start any flame war as I know most people here are Canon 300D fans but I'd be interested to read a review where the 300D comes out on top. The Canon 1D MKII now....that's another story!

12. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The D70 is nearly £300 more expensive.. is there £300 improvement in picture quality
    (dont think so) it does have some better features but these comments about how much better the picture quality is.. gets right up my nose -- have a look at the hundreds of 300d gallerys and then keep a straight face telling me in your words
    And IMHO produces a much better photo.

like others say its about opinions... talking about the Canon 1d mk2 well who would'nt give there right arm for one of those beautys

13. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if there is a difference in quality of the pics produced it isn't exactly huge and given the difference in price and which lens family you get to buy into... canon was my choice!

even if the 300d body isn't as well spec'ed as the d70, I'm more than happy to trust that canon will produce models in the future that'll do the job - in the meantime I've got onto the slr ladder and am busy learning how to use one! If in a few years time I can afford the 1D then I'll have built up a nice collection of lens and filters...

14. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I totally agree with you mate. It's those people that keep saying their camera takes better photos that peeves me as well. It has an influence on people like me that are trying to decide which route to take. I went the route of the Nikon because I read all the reviews that I could find but primarily because I've had two other Nikons in the past. I can honestly say that most of the 300D photos that I've seen slaughter many of the shots I've taken with my D70.... but this is probably due to the photographer and not the camera. I'm still a relative beginner and will hopefully catch up with a top class piece of kit..... as is the 300D. :)

15. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Well spoken! Anyone can buy a £1000 camera and take absolute rubbish pictures.
    I went for the 300D because I've used a Canon SLR for years, and because there are more lenses available. However, if you are a Nikon lover and have some Nikon lenses, you would go for the Nikon!

I only consider myself to be an amateur photographer, but with some effort and reading etc, I've managed to get some shots as good as a pro with a cheap Canon 75-300USM lens.

Check my aircraft pics here...

http://www.airliners.net/search/pho...rnet.com&sort_order=views&distinct_entry=true

regards

16. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi Guys,
    As interesting as it is reading, "my camera's better tahn yours!!", :D what I would like to know from the guys that have brought the 300D in the USA is, other than the import duties that are to be avoided if poss!! What are the problems (ie. charger, internal software etc) have you experienced?
    Cheers.

17. Party Animal

Party Animal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Fantastic Air shots you have there John exposed to perfection... do you use a grey card for metering your air shots????? and what mode do you use

presumably manual

18. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Well, I WAS going to get mine in Los Angeles this year, but did some research on the subject......

Charger is 110 to 240v, would just need UK plug.
    Software is the same.

BUT, apparrently if you turn up at a UK service centre with an import they will not honour the warrenty.
    You may get through customs first time, but if you plan to go overseas often, they can get you on ANY occaision you go through customs. Bearing in mind it will have 'Rebel' on the front not 300D, it won't take a very experianced customs chappie to deduce it came from the US.
    They can also tell from the serial number if it was legally imported and has had duty/VAT paid!
    As I go to the US every year, not worth the hassle.. :thumbsup:

19. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Thanks for the complements.....

Errr, what's grey card metering? Not got that far yet.. :laugh:

As for the mode, quite a few of those shots were on Auto....oh yes!
    However, starting to get brave now and use shutter priority. That means I can adjust exposure by a notch or two to overexpose against cloudy skys.

Think I'm starting to get the hang of it? Keep an eye on my link, I've a load more in the upload queue

20. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks john,
    The info is for a colleague of mine. I will pass it on.
    Cheers

21. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I know that the UK chargers are multi voltage, but normally those from the USA are 110V only. I know this to be the case for all the Sony camcorders, so it may well be the same for a digicam.

Mark.

22. scarfie

scarfie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that's just Sony being Sony. I've bought a couple of laptops with universal chargers from the States and my US bought D70 came with a universal charger. I'm sure Canon will supply similarly.

23. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Those aircraft piccies are excellent! All done with a 300SD? I just bought one of these (taking a bit of a chance as I didn't do loads of research) but it looks like there's going to be more potential in the camera than there is in my photographic skills :)