1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Can you identify this show please?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Jul 5, 2003.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

Having been enjoying the recent showings of old Laurel And Hardy shorts, (on BBC2 each weekday morning around 10am), I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this similar type of character who had their own show.

Back in the early-to-mid 1980's, BBC1 used to transmit similar black-and-white comedy shorts, at 6:35am, each weekday morning, jsut before their Breakfast Show.

The shorts were probably made in the 1930's or 40's, and starred a man with a moustache, who kept getting into all sorts of silly predicaments, which usually ended-up with him getting egg on his face (proverbially speaking, of course), and into trouble with his wife/girlfriend.

The short films were talkies, and lasted about 20 minutes each, ala the Laurel And Hardy shorts. I think the main character was called Edgar something-or-other.

Can anyone help me out please, as I'd quite like to reaquaint myslef with this type of film?

Thanks, in advance.

Pooch

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    Edgar Kennedy perhaps?
    Don't remember him having a tash though, a big bald bloke but he had his own series where he always came off the loser, sorry can't recall what it was called.
    Played in a number of films with the great L&H as well. ;)

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Was it Harold Llyod?
    I seem to remember it being shown on bbc2 around the early eighties at that time - I used to watch it when I got home from school just before we sat down to tea.(You remember- when families used to sit down together to have a meal).

4. david plunkett

david plunkett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,043
    Harold Lloyd was the guy who was always getting in to highwire scrapes the most famous one was hanging of a clock face on the side off a 20 story building. His other trade marks where a straw boater and glasses.

I think Edgar was more slapstick.

Picture of Edgar left and Harold right.

Attached Files:

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for the speedy response. Definitely not Harold Lloyd, or Edgar Kennedy, I'm afraid. One other clue: I'm not sure if the character was simply called Edgar something-or-other, or whether or not that was also the actor's real name as well. It may not have been.

Also, not so sure about the moustache. Sorry this is so vague folks. Any one else think of any other possibilities?

Pooch