Quantcast

Help... Can this be fixed???

banie01

Novice Member
Hi All,
Due to an inspired brainwave on my brothers part, and my own stupidity in leaving him alone in my house!My Sony Str dg910 is now dead.

I imported this amp from the US and was using a stepdown converter to power it, for some reason while I was on holidays the hum from this converter started to bother my brother(who was housesitting) so he just cut off the us plug and wired it to a 3pin!!!!!

Now my Amp will not power on. I get a click sound when I press the power switch but no other sign of life!!!
Can this be fixed?
Is it something as simple as a fuse issue or similar?
Please help keep me out of prison..... Because if it can't be fixed I'm gonna kill him.

2003bluecat

:rolleyes:
Hi All,
Due to an inspired brainwave on my brothers part, and my own stupidity in leaving him alone in my house!My Sony Str dg910 is now dead.

I imported this amp from the US and was using a stepdown converter to power it, for some reason while I was on holidays the hum from this converter started to bother my brother(who was housesitting) so he just cut off the us plug and wired it to a 3pin!!!!!

Now my Amp will not power on. I get a click sound when I press the power switch but no other sign of life!!!
Can this be fixed?
Is it something as simple as a fuse issue or similar?
Please help keep me out of prison..... Because if it can't be fixed I'm gonna kill him.
Have you put the US plug back on? It might still work if you do that, hopefully :rolleyes:

banie01

Novice Member
:rolleyes:

Have you put the US plug back on? It might still work if you do that, hopefully :rolleyes:
Yeah, Thats the way I have it connected to the mains now via the stepdown. All I'm getting is a click when I push the power button absolutley no other sign of life:(:(:(

IAN P

Novice Member
You're brother did what:eek:,i would've been royally agrieved,how stupid can people be.:thumbsdowI hope he got a smack round the head.

And your machine is bricked,and will need repairing at a cost to your bro,i hope.

morksbeanbag

Novice Member
You say he wired it to a 3 pin, so I take it he decided not to include the step down TX in any way after changing plugs and put 240v into it?

You need to ask your brother if he smelt a burning smell when he powered it on. if he did, there's likely a component gone or worse a winding on the transformer (inside the unit) could have been burned.

If he didn't, there should be a small thermal fuse on the power supply board right where the mains enters the unit. Test it with a multimeter, if it's dead replace with the same rating.

Is it still under warranty?

banie01

Novice Member
Lads, Thanks to everyone who contributed to me getting my Amp sorted.
I cracked the case and was lucky enough to fix the issue with a new fuse, Straight swap and the issue was sorted.
Thank Christ, Buddha, Ganesh, Gaia and any other deity and forum member you care to mention, the brother still got a severe guilt trip though;)
But on a side note, why do americans insist on having the fuse inside the unit?
God bless the person who invented the fused plug.