Help - Can LCD projectors handle HDTV ?

C

Craig_Nike

Please excuse my ignorance on projectors, this will be my first.

Can somebody please tell me if an oldish Sony VPL1000X LCD projector display HDTV ?

I am not knowledgable on DTV yet (we are in the first year here).
If I buy this projector and put a STB through it, will it be HDTV or does it not have the resoltuion ?

Thanks

Info from the Projector Central website says the Sony isn't HDTV compatible. Their info is usually 80-90% accurate, but you should check Sony's website or the projector manual for more info.

Although the Sony has the resolution to display HDTV, it may not be able to accept and process the signal correctly despite having the right number of pixels.

Do you know the specs of your HDTV system. What output resolutions (the Americans seem to use 480p, 540p, 720p and 1080i) and what signal standard (RGB or Component). Also, what is your refresh rate (50 or 60Hz?) and are the broadcasts in 4:3, 16:9 or a mixture of both?

Regards

I have found the following stats on Oz DTV

SD
576i

HD
576i, 576p, 720p
also 1080 @ 50i (so I assume that means 50Hz?)

I'm not sure about RGB or Component - there are barekly any RGB DVD players here, we all use Component - does that give us the answer ?

This projector only has SVideo Video In, not RGB OR Component.
Does that mean I'm stuffed ?
Im planning to decide whether or not to buy it today or tomorrow.

Could you just tell me what would happen if I buy a SD/HD STB and plug it in, what would the projector do ?
Crash
Display at analogue resolution
Display at SD DTV resolution

Thanks for your time and help.

Craig

If the Sony can't handle HD broadcasts, I don't think it would down covert to a SD format, I believe it would simply not display anything, but I'm only guessing?

I think you will find that the projector does have a HD-SUB (15 pin) VGA input, which will accept RGB+HV and possibly Component also? It is unlikely to accept standard RGB, but it is possible. In your case though it is Component input you want and if you can find the manual or further info, it will tell you if the 15 pin HD-SUB can accept a Component signal. My sony is switchable between RGB and Component for this input in the menu.

Cheers Kane

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom