HELP! Can I / Should I change my PSU?

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Dazza1980, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Dazza1980

Dazza1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi All

I decided to change to a smaller HTPC Case, so I replaced my Antec nsk2480 with a Hiper HMC-1K53A. While i have been waiting for my replacement spinpoint F1, I found some sites that had people complaining about heat issues. Since the case is very low and only 200 watts, would it be better (if I can) to replace it with an external / brick one. If anyone else has the same case with similar specs to me (see my sig) I would appreciate any feedback.
    To anyone with psu experience / knowledge, do you think 200 watts is adequite enough for my system?
    I really should have done more research :rolleyes:

Thank you to all in advance. :)

Nintendovip.

P.S. I won't be needing a graphics card as I have thrown all types of HD at it with no problems at all.

2. Dazza1980

Dazza1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Anyone !!!!!!!!

My hard drive was delivered today and I was hoping for some sugestions before I put together the final pieces - dvd drive & hard drive.

Please !

3. Bob

Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Without knowing the full spec it's difficult to say, but I would say give it a try.

If you find the system crashing regular or are getting lockups where you have to reboot, then it would suggest you need a more powerfull PSU.

4. Dazza1980

Dazza1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    OK, once i get home from work, I'll finish the build and put it through some stress tests. Will there be any damage to my hardware if it keeps crashing?
    Don't mind if the psu goes pop just as long as my cpu and motherboard are ok :)

Thanks for your reply.

Nintendovip.

5. nburg01

nburg01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your machine will just keep resetting if power from the PSU is insufficient, this in itself won't do any damage.

The biggest drain on a PSU is the graphics card so the fact that you'll be using integrated graphics will decrease the hit on the PSU. Looking at your spec you're also using an Intel Core 2 Duo, which is quite a low power CPU.

The best thing to do is to try it, I think you'll find the PSU will cope fine.

6. Dazza1980

Dazza1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Right, everything is all together and setup, so i had a tinker in the bios as the cpu fan didn't seem to spin that fast. I have tried changing the settings on the fan control but nothing has changed!
    The temp is slowly creeping up to around 40c. The fan has the 4 pin connector which is connected to 'cpu fan'. There are 2 other 3 pin fan connectors but nothing happens when I try either of them. I'm really getting ****** off at the moment.
    Anyone with this mobo please help !!!!!!!!

EDIT - Just noticed that cpu fan speed is highlighted in red in the bios, which i'm assuming means it's not spinning fast enough. The trouble is I can't adjust it all !!!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  7. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,406
    Which fan is it and how fast is it spinning? If 40°C is what it peaks at though I wouldn't worry about it unless it's pestering you with warnings.

8. Dazza1980

Dazza1980

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    It's Hipers own low profile fan and it's spinning round 400 rpm :eek:
    I just can't understand why the speed never changes when I adjust it in the bios. I checked the fan packaging and it has the pwm function. The only other thing I can think of is that the bios needs updating.
    I haven't had any warnings yet, but i'd feel much better if the temp was around 30c.

EDIT - I updated to the latest bios and got the fan spinning at 1500rpm, still can't changed the speed, but it's better.
    The only thing is the bios is now reporting temps of 50c :eek:
    I no this can't be a true reading so i'll just put up with it until Asus sort out the problem with another bios update (fingers crossed).

Thanks for all the replys guys.

Nintendovip.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008