Help!!! Can i change VCD format?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by pinkslipper32, Aug 1, 2002.

1. pinkslipper32

pinkslipper32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a VCD film that wont play in my DVD player which says it plays them - is there anyway i can change the format on the pc so that i can play it in my DVD player???????? :confused:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,095
    Is it a commercial CD or a copy?

If it is a copy, is it on a CD-R disc? Is your DVD player capable of playing CD-Rs? (Many aren't).

What symptoms?

If it is incompatibility of your DVD player with CDRs then it can't be hacked or fixed - a new player is needed.

What you could try, it to use your PC to make a copy of the CD onto a CD-RW blank. Most DVD players WILL play these.

3. pinkslipper32

pinkslipper32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes my dvd player will play CDR'S and CDRW's - the vcd is a copy in vcd format but when i put it into player it just wont work - nothing happens :(

Do AVI formats work on a dvd player? or MPEG files? if not is there a programe that will convert it to a format that will play?

By the way, brand new dvd player - only a week old so i dont really want to go out and buy another one! lol

Thanks for your help - much much appreciated :)

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,095
    DVD players will only play DVDs and VCDs. In order to make a VCD you have to use files in a very specific MPEG1 format.
    The best mpeg file maker I have ever used comes free from www.tmpgenc.net . You have to unzip it and create your own shortcut - it doesn't come with an installer. It will make excellent mpeg1 files of the correct format from pretty well any type of video/audio file, including AVIs and the existing *.dat files you will find if you browse your VCD.

Do you know what software was used to make the copy. I'm going to hazard a guess at Roxio's EasyCD. If I guessed right, this factor alone may explain the non-playability of your copy.

I recommend Nero for making VCDs and/or copying VCDs. It is much more reliable than EasyCD.

5. pinkslipper32

pinkslipper32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My God! wot would i do without you - you are a star!!!!!!!

I used a programe called click 'n burn to burn onto disk as my normal burner NTI wouldnt work properly for some reason :(

I tried a convertor programme last nite (forget the name) but it was going to take 233 hours to convert!!!!!!!!!

Ive been using my NTI burner for a while now with no problems so i think i will uninstall it and then reinstall it to see if thats any better.

I tried to use Nero previously and it crashed my machine but then again it could have just been me not doing it right lolol - i was recommended to use EasyCD burner but i cant find it anywhere so thats why i havent used that one.

Thank you my little star :)