1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP !!! Can anyone tell me whats wrong with my TV ??????

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by PrivatePile76, Dec 1, 2004.

1. PrivatePile76

PrivatePile76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hello all,

Still a newbie on here.... :eek:

I have a 26" panansonic 4:3 tv in my bedroom with RF link for Sky....can#t live without it...

But.....my TV now when turned on after 1 minute the picture slowly fades away to nothing...

Initally it was one of the colours that went (green I think), but now it just fades to nothing.

It is around 7 years old...

Is it worth me paying £29.99 for my local shop to look at it ??

any help appreciated.

thanks

Bob

2. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you are saying "when you first switch the picture on it is ok, but after a while (which can be any length of time) the picture gradually fades away to nothing, ie black" then it sounds to me as though the crt heater volts are going open circuit. In simple terms the crt has a heater element inside it - sometimes if the room lighting is dim you can look through the ventilation holes in the back of the tv and actually see the back of the crt 'glowing' - it won't be very bright but will be obvious. See if you can adjust the tv so that you can see this 'glow'. Now, when the picture gradually fades away IF my long distance theory is correct then you should see that the back of the crt is no longer glowing. This means that the voltage feed to the heater has gone open circuit - this is quite a common fault on older TV's. It is usually caused by one of 2 things. Either the heater element inside the crt has gone open circuit (but MAY become ok again once the heater has cooled down) in which case it is not worth spending the money on a new crt - chuck the tv away, or, the electrical feed to the heater has become open circuit somewhere on the feed from the eht transformer to the heater - sometimes this can be caused by what is called a 'dry solder joint' or a faulty pcb connector or even the eht transformer itself etc - this too is a common fault on older TVs. YOU will not be able to determine which of these two common faults it is - it would take the services of an engineer who would need to witness the fault and make a few simple measurements. I cannot advise you as to whether it is worth spending any money on getting it looked at - however, you are NOT to take off the back of the tv under any circumstances on your own since I presume from your original post that you are not qualified to do so and may cause harm to yourself. MY POST IS FOR INFORMATION ONLY. Regards, yt.

3. PrivatePile76

PrivatePile76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    cheers for info.....

and yeah I'm not qualified..

I'll probs pay the £30 cause I can#t afford a new TV at moment.

cheers

Bob