1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP - Buzz problem in Tosh 32ZP18Q

Discussion in 'TVs' started by lavalente, Jun 7, 2002.

1. lavalente

lavalente

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could any people help me...

I bought my new 32ZP18Q (at 4 of June) and i was especting a perfect TV, but the problem is that the TV as a great performance in colors but that buuzzzz in a low frequency is killing me, especially in CINEMA mode - the buzz from the TV is high is that mode and in Subtitle.

What could i do?

Exchange with other TV? Call the Toshiba people?

Live with that buzzzz in my life?

Could any one give me some advice? I payed 50% of the TV already could i make a complain about this problem to return the TV to the dealer?

Lavalente

2. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first 32ZP18P buzzed a little in Cinema/Subtitle and to soem extent in 14:9 but it was only really noticeable close up or with your head around the back of the set. My new 32ZP18Q is much better - almost no increase in buzz in these modes and you can only hear when around the back.

If you feel you can't live with it (just try watching more programmes at your normal viewing distance - it is the quiest scenes where you may be able to hear it) then get it replaced.

One other thing, both of my sets have had an annoying hum through the speakers when a high contrast scene comes on. So for example during the adverts there is a black pause between each and everything is silent, then when a bright (ish) advert comes on you can hear the change in hum. Also happens during normal viewing especially during quiet scenes. I found this quite annoying myself.

3. lavalente

lavalente

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jasongreiffin i'm going to talk today with my dealer to see what he says about a possible change to the other model the 32ZD09G what do you think about this TV? Is there any buzzz our humming in that TV also????

Lavalente

4. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no comment on the ZD09 other than I think it is ugly - not the finesse of the picture frame. I personally doubt there will be any difference in buzz or hum as they are the same tubes and probably sound circuitry, just a different box really (except no internal subwoofer in the ZD09).

Personally I would try another ZP18 first if the buzz/hum does annoy you on your exisitng one. Again try watching more programmes to see it this really does annoy you as there is a tendancy to look for problems when you first get a new TV and make a big deal about them even though during normal viewing you won't notice most of them (or learn to live with them).

5. lavalente

lavalente

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jason, the problem isn't the buzz anoying me, but there are maybe other TV with less huming and buzzing with the sound low to buy??? I spend a lot of money with this set and to be sincerely i love this TV but that buzz is a problem or a feature to this models of toshiba, and i'm thinking to choose other Manufacture of TV because of that buzz.

Could you give me some advice about what could i choose?

1- Stay with this lovely TV with great quality of picture
    or
    2- Return and choose other great TV from another Manufacture (not Toshiba)?

Lavalente

6. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the buzz doesn't annoy you then what is the problem? Most TVs out there seem to buzz to some extent and each individual set is different. If it doesn't annoy you then keep it. If it does annoy you then get it replaced with another ZP18 and compare. Failing that then I don't know what to go for as I had the same problem myself.

Personally I'm going for a Loewe with separate surround system which I've been forced into due to problems with my Tosh and the published problems of other sets.

7. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    lavalente,
    Have to say the same, if the buzz isn't annoying you, and you are otherwise happy with your set, keep it and enjoy it.
    You may end up worse after a swap.
    It's been said many times, but there really isn't a totally problem free model or brand, all televisions have "characteristics".

8. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, you should consider that you can get the tv replaced/fixed so the buzz goes away. I have no buzz on mine.

9. orange

orange

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first 32ZP18P buzzed like an alarm clock, got it changed and now have a 32ZP18Q and it is fine.

If get close to the back of the set you can still hear a buzz but then all TV's buzz to some extend. My first was was so loud you could hear it over the TV in the evenings when it was quite, like some kind of knacked fridge would make.

Otherwise the set is fantastic!

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interestingly enough I have had 3 Philips 32PW9515 sets that had the buzz that changed whenever bright/high contrast pictures displayed! All these were changed for a new one within the first month of buying (Comet guarantee xchange within first month if bought from web site and the month starts from when you receive the xchange set). So yes I did pay xtra for the TV but glad I did due to the problems I have had.

So , eventually I changed to Tosh z18P and all was well for 3 months. Fantastic picture, good looking even when switched off in the living room and I was happy..... until last week!

Yes, you have guessed it, this set has now developed a really nasty loud buzz that started at the back but now can be heard at normal viewing distance even during normal dialog and not just quiet spots in the audio!

So, out came the engineer who agreed about the noise and he took the back off and found it to be the scan coils .... buzzing like a chainsaw. So, I started having visons of losing the set for weeks while being repaired..during the world cup of all times...and it coming back without the noise but with crap geometry!!!

How surpirsed and happy was I when he phoned his boss and they agreed to replace the set with a new one as a new tube would be same cost as the whole TV!!!

So, xchange unit coming Sunday and with a little luck this will be an end to this sorry saga...although reading the forum would suggest I may get another buzzer as it still seems to affect this model even now.