1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help - Buying New TV

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Theriomophic, Aug 9, 2004.

1. Theriomophic

Theriomophic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi, first off I apologise if I have posted in the wrong Forum. :blush:

I need help in choosing which TV to buy!

I have a budget of £2000 - £2500.

I would like to get a Slim Rear projection TV and do not know which one to look at.

I would like to be able to watch movies like the Fast and the Furious and play Xbox games with having any blurring or jaggedness or is this just wishful thinking in the age of 100mhz sets?

I have thought about the new Samsung SP-50L7HX / SP-50L3HX or the new Sony KF-42SX300.

You thoughts and suggestion are most welcome.

Thanks

Trevor

2. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Howdy Trevor,

I too was in the same situation as you with the same budget. I looked around and bought the sony kf 42sx300 but had no end of problems with it. Mainly being the juddering and ghosting effect from fast moving objects. This was especially bad through sky.In the end I had to get rid of it cause it annoyed me so much. I returned it and got the sagem axium and I was sooo glad I did. The Sagem, although about a grand more expensive, is a DLP rear projection T.v and in my opinion a much better set. I can hardly fault it. In fact the only fault I have found, are that "whites" are too white, if you know what I mean by that, as if there is too much contrast in the set. I have played around with the settings endlessly and have almost got it right but other than that I love the T.v. It is also HDTV compliant so when HD arrives in the U.K there will be no need to rush out and buy one that is.

I also hear the samsung is a good set and that Thomson will soon be bringing out a DLP set. In fact, I dont think you can go wrong with just about any of the DLP sets in that price range, cause so far I have'nt heard a bad word about any of them. But no doubt that will soon change with other replies to this thread...........anyone????

Also the DLP sets don't give any screen burn like plasma so playing your x-box wont be a problem and they dont work on 100hz so no problems there either, but I'm sure someone more technically minded can explain this better than me.

Do yourself a favour and get DLP.

3. C.Wolf

C.Wolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Why not use a DLP front projection system? You can then truly have the cinema experience at home for around half the price. ;)