Help! Buying new 42" Plasma this week (2k) (Plamsa > LCD > Plasma again)

glen8

Hello,

Not sure if anyone has been reading my posts over on the LCD section but I think I have decided on getting another Plasma.

Here's the short story.....

I bought a panny series 6 42" SD plasma two years ago. It was an excellent machine and I couldn't fault it one bit. It was great for standard Sky and DVDs but obviously I was unable to get the extra quality from HighDef due to it's resolution. I really did love this screen!

I decided to upgrade as I wanted HDMI ports and HD ready for SkyHD and playing HD content from my laptop.

for some reason I decided on getting an LCD and bought the 42" Toshiba 1920x1080i

I thought this was a good idea due to the resolution and the guarantee of no screen burn. My laptop has windows mce on it so it seemed like a good choice.

I hate it!!!! It suffers from really bad motion blur that gives me headaches and my eyes really dry up. I was watching Star Wars Episode 3 TS 1080i lastnight and switched it off after about 20mins. I wasn't enjoying it. Standard Sky also looks dreadful. Very pixellated and again has bad motion blur.

anyway...... I think I'm right in saying a plasma is what I need.

I am phoning the shop later today and asking them to take this one back (its actually faulty anyway). So what do I buy?

I wan't something which will be a good upgrade from my series 6 panny and has NO MOTION BLUR!!!!
2 x HDMI would help me out a bit too

so.......

Sony Bravia (I know its another LCD but it does get some good reviews)
Hitachi 9700 Alis plasma
Philips Alis plasma (I love the ambilight gimmick)
something else?

Thanks very much for putting up with me moaning over the last week. I am grateful for your comments :) You can understand me not wanting to waste 2k as it's ALOT of money for me and taken ages to save up.

david_lee

i had the new panasonic TH42PX600 for about a month now and i like the quality of picture and sound, thats one option or else pioneer is another option...

PlasmaVirgin

The Pioneers are very good products and you'll get a 43" for under £2K (if you really need that extra inch ;) )

However, the problem is that whilst half of the owners are ecstatic with it, the other half have had some serious retention issues, and you'll have to run it on component with Sky HD rather than HDMI as there is a possible complication.

glen8

in order of price, but the models I am thinking about

Philips 42PF7521D Plasma
Sony 40v2000 LCD
Pioneer PDP436RXE Plasma
Pioneer PDP436SXE Plasma
Hitachi 42PD9700 Plasma

My viewing distance is about 6ft-7ft I guess

I will be running Sky+ RGB Scart (till I get SkyHD)
Pioneer DVD HDMI Compatible and a Laptop (VGA or DVI>HDMI)

CFC1

Distinguished Member
Mate, the choice offered by tv and video direct is limited without the Panasonics. IMO your best bet from them would be the Hitachi 9700, but you would be paying over the odds. Their price for this, is at least a couple of hundred quid too much, if you price around. Also, what kind of warranty will you get? Are they in a position (authorised retailer) to offer Hitachi's current 4 year warranty? All things considered, you will probably be better off looking elsewhere (JL perhaps, pricematch & 5 year warranty) or indeed looking at the Panasonics as an alternative to the Hitachi.

Hope this helps. :smashin:

PlasmaVirgin

Agree with the Panasonic comments. I might be able to get my hands on a brand spanking new Panasonic PHD8 with HD ready Component/HDMI inputs in a few days if your interested.

It would be a fair bit cheaper than the models you mentioned, and I think almost anyone will agree that the picture quality would put the others to shame... :thumbsup:

Of course in accordance to forum rules, I am not touting for business but merely offering help to fellow forum members! :smashin:

gpa

Banned
glen8 said:
Hello,

Not sure if anyone has been reading my posts over on the LCD section but I think I have decided on getting another Plasma.

Here's the short story.....

I bought a panny series 6 42" SD plasma two years ago. It was an excellent machine and I couldn't fault it one bit. It was great for standard Sky and DVDs but obviously I was unable to get the extra quality from HighDef due to it's resolution. I really did love this screen!

I decided to upgrade as I wanted HDMI ports and HD ready for SkyHD and playing HD content from my laptop.

for some reason I decided on getting an LCD and bought the 42" Toshiba 1920x1080i

I thought this was a good idea due to the resolution and the guarantee of no screen burn. My laptop has windows mce on it so it seemed like a good choice.

I hate it!!!! It suffers from really bad motion blur that gives me headaches and my eyes really dry up. I was watching Star Wars Episode 3 TS 1080i lastnight and switched it off after about 20mins. I wasn't enjoying it. Standard Sky also looks dreadful. Very pixellated and again has bad motion blur.

anyway...... I think I'm right in saying a plasma is what I need.

I am phoning the shop later today and asking them to take this one back (its actually faulty anyway). So what do I buy?

I wan't something which will be a good upgrade from my series 6 panny and has NO MOTION BLUR!!!!
2 x HDMI would help me out a bit too

so.......

Sony Bravia (I know its another LCD but it does get some good reviews)
Hitachi 9700 Alis plasma
Philips Alis plasma (I love the ambilight gimmick)
something else?

Thanks very much for putting up with me moaning over the last week. I am grateful for your comments :) You can understand me not wanting to waste 2k as it's ALOT of money for me and taken ages to save up.

I had the same pw6 and upgraded to pw8hd, poss you need to look again at this panel, after all it is after up there with the very best avalible:smashin:

ash

Why do you have to stick tot hat company? There are other companies, like RGB Direct who also offer 9 months interest free and they sell the Panasonics. From what I see/hear int he forum, the Panasonic PX60/600 is one of the best plasmas and big fan base. The Philips uses same Hitachi panel, but is as not as good as the Hitachi, only better thing being the AmbiLight from reports, the Hitachi is better. And I think the Pioneer is plauged with retention/screen burn problems so I am staying away from them. Really think about the Panasonics, they are great!

LFCRules

PlasmaVirgin said:
Of course in accordance to forum rules, I am not touting for business but merely offering help to fellow forum members! :smashin:

Which of course means you would be posting in the classifieds for a product you want to sell, and you are not a retailers :smashin:

Cheers

Andy

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom