1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help buying a tv

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by mattygg, Oct 17, 2005.

1. mattygg

mattygg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have had a look through the forums but i could not find anything specifically for me :)

Anyway,

I have just bought a house and i have about £1000 to spend on a tv. Originally i was looking at buying a Rear projection tv, there are two at comet which seemed ok to me.

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/648.html

I was looking at the samsung SP42Q2HDX one (I have found it for £650 online). I have a couple of questions about this, firstly, i was worried about the bulb life, and how long are they really expected to last for. Also how much does a new bulb cost, and lastly how easy are they to replace. I was then wondering how good the picture will be compared to a plasma or lcd tv.

This is because i have found a plasma tv at powerhouse for £999.99.

http://www.powerhouse.co.uk/pws/Pro...AT_FLATPANELTVS&navCategoryID=DEPT_TELEVISION

Is this tv going to be £350 better than the samsung one. I will mostly be watching tv on it, with a playstation connected up every now and again. I have read reports of something called burn out which happens on plasma tv's. My question is, how long do you have to leave your tv on something for it to burn out. I mean would 30 mins do it, or are we talking about leaving it for hours and hours.

If anyone has any ideas of other tv's which are good for in my price range then please let me know.

Thanks for any help you can give

Matt

2. mattygg

mattygg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in essex (england) if that helps anyone.

3. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't recommend either of those TVs to be honest. In fact if its bang for your buck that you want then I suggest a traditional CRT screen. Especially considering your budget.

Ok they aren't bigger than 36" but they have much better image quality than normal Rear Projection TVs and low-end Plasmas. In fact I'd say they have better image quality than almost all Plasmas (the only points in favour of Plasmas are High Definition and size).

If you're dead-set on something slim then I guess I'd recommend the Sony KDFE50A12. Which is a 50" LCD rear-projection set. It has pretty good image quality apparently, handles High-Def and is much slimmer than CRTs. However it's slightly out of your budget at about £1300.

Considering you want to watch normal TV a lot though then I'd put CRT a lot higher on your list than anything else. I recommend the Toshiba 36ZP48 and the Panasonic (both are praised in the CRT forum of this site). Forget the size, you're not moving it everyday and if High-Def isn't on your priority list then it's a definite thumbs up.

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    ....unless things like Geometry, Convergence, Stability, Colour Purity are a factor. Large CRTs rarely get any of these right.

5. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well I hate to disagree, but I got my Samsung Rear projection at Comet (CRT projection - see my sig for model). And the picture quality is stunning. Especially through my 575 dvd player and component. It's self focusing and I've never had any issue with geometry.

Plasma was no-where near my price bracket and this fit the bill perfectly. It is HDTV ready (supports 1080 resolution) but to be fair does not have a dvi or hdmi connection so not sure what's gonna happen about that.

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Oh, I meant, as cooleo_no1 did, a large direct view CRT.
    (these phrases give the game away: a traditional CRT screen and Ok they aren't bigger than 36").
    CRT rear pro's are quite different. And like absolutely every technology, are not free of their own issues.

7. The Jayler

The Jayler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    A CRT rear pro cant be HD ready as it wont output a 720p picture i'm affraid. That will be why the nessesary connections are missing i.e. a hdcp HDMI port
    Please correct me if im wrong.

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    This is not a HD ready set - far from it. It certainly does not support 1080. It doesn't even support 720.

If you check the spec on the Comet website there is a clue; next to "HD Ready?" it says "No".

9. mattygg

mattygg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi again, thanks very much so far for all your help.

I was wondering, could i connect my laptop to the samsung tv then?

Sorry im quite a newbie at this.

Matt

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Matty - the Samsung set you are refering to is not very good, picture wise. The new generation of Samsung DLPs outperform this set by a wide margin.

To be honest if I were you I'd save your money until you could afford one of these. Round about another £300 0r so could buy you a Samsung 46" DLP that will be HD ready and will beat their existing CRT or LCD models hands-down.

It also has a dedicated VGA input that you can hook your laptop to.