Help buying a new AVR (£600)

mattsk

Standard Member
Hi all - hoping I can get some advice as I'm going around in circles right now

I currently have a Samsung Q60t and Sonos Arc with back surrounds.

I have lots of issues with intermittent sound on the Arc (sound of 1 second, off for 5 seconds). To stop this I need to restart the Arc. I'm using the cable they supplied and this happens no matter what I'm playing.

I'm finding that frustrating, but I'd also like the front to sound wider anyway so I'm sending it back and looking at a 5.1 system with capabilities to go up to 7.2

I'm not a gamer, and mainly use the in built TV apps, and a Virgin V6 tivo box, but also like to play music through it.

One thing I really love about the Arc, is the Nightmode and how easy it is to turn it off and on, without messing around with on screen menus - this is important to me.

So for my budget, it looks like

Sony
str-dn1080

Denon
avr-x2700h

Yamaha
RX-V6A

I've read far too many threads about this now! No one has anything good to say about the Apps apart from Yamaha seems better and have a web ui. Although I think this is OK as long as there is a quick way to select night mode on the remote and it's as effective as the Sonos

The Yamaha is seriously tempting, but whenever I read about it it sounds like it's full of bugs - I'm not bothered about the 8k / 120 issue, but last thing I want is to be unplugging it like I do on the Arc.

I'm also most tempted by this as to me it looks the best. I could possibly put any of these in a ventilated cupboard and using an IR repeater, but I'd still like to know what format it currently being played, so this would involve the app being decent enough.

So any advice would be appreciated (never had an AVR before). Maybe there's something else I should get?

Would also love to hear form anyone who has the Yamaha and also my TV set up.

Thanks!!

dion 6

Hi all - hoping I can get some advice as I'm going around in circles right now

I currently have a Samsung Q60t and Sonos Arc with back surrounds.

I have lots of issues with intermittent sound on the Arc (sound of 1 second, off for 5 seconds). To stop this I need to restart the Arc. I'm using the cable they supplied and this happens no matter what I'm playing.

I'm finding that frustrating, but I'd also like the front to sound wider anyway so I'm sending it back and looking at a 5.1 system with capabilities to go up to 7.2

I'm not a gamer, and mainly use the in built TV apps, and a Virgin V6 tivo box, but also like to play music through it.

One thing I really love about the Arc, is the Nightmode and how easy it is to turn it off and on, without messing around with on screen menus - this is important to me.

So for my budget, it looks like

Sony
str-dn1080

Denon
avr-x2700h

Yamaha
RX-V6A

I've read far too many threads about this now! No one has anything good to say about the Apps apart from Yamaha seems better and have a web ui. Although I think this is OK as long as there is a quick way to select night mode on the remote and it's as effective as the Sonos

The Yamaha is seriously tempting, but whenever I read about it it sounds like it's full of bugs - I'm not bothered about the 8k / 120 issue, but last thing I want is to be unplugging it like I do on the Arc.

I'm also most tempted by this as to me it looks the best. I could possibly put any of these in a ventilated cupboard and using an IR repeater, but I'd still like to know what format it currently being played, so this would involve the app being decent enough.

So any advice would be appreciated (never had an AVR before). Maybe there's something else I should get?

Would also love to hear form anyone who has the Yamaha and also my TV set up.

Thanks!!
What about the outgoing denon X2600 and save yourself some money and it comes with a 6 year warranty the only advantage the new denon 2700 has is for gamers with the 2.1 port as I can see

mattsk

Standard Member
What about the outgoing denon X2600 and save yourself some money and it comes with a 6 year warranty the only advantage the new denon 2700 has is for gamers with the 2.1 port as I can see

Thanks - do you (or anyone else) have a Denon? Any thoughts on the ability to control noise at night and how easy it is to get to this setting?

dion 6

Thanks - do you (or anyone else) have a Denon? Any thoughts on the ability to control noise at night and how easy it is to get to this setting?
Sorry I've got a Sony 1080 but I'd go for the Denon if I was buying one now there's loads of Denon owners on the forum I'm sure they'll give you some good advice

gibbsy

All Denons have the ability to use at night by Dynamic Volume. The set up assistant will walk you through all the set up options. It's popular with owners that have young children or neighbours. It is very easy to set up. Luckily I have no need to use it.

mattsk

Standard Member
Thanks. Could you confirm that it’s just a simple button I can press or can assign to a button
All Denons have the ability to use at night by Dynamic Volume. The set up assistant will walk you through all the set up options. It's popular with owners that have young children or neighbours. It is very easy to set up. Luckily I have no need to use it.
Thanks - do I need to go through on screen menus to get to it?

gibbsy

It's a menu setting.

mattsk

Standard Member
1606490551015.png

these are the differences between the 2 models. Might be stupid question but if I’m always using the tv apps does any of this matter? Thanks again

mattsk

Standard Member
was also thinking that if Yamaha is good for Apps the maybe there is a 2019 model that isn’t full of bugs. Would like to hear from anyone who has experience of them.

The yamaha rx-v685 sounds interesting

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom