1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help building a slim-line media pc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by simg, Jul 1, 2005.

1. simg

simg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After using this forum to help me buy a plasma, im now turning my attention to rehousing my home built PC in a slim-line case. Ive just moved home and found I have nowhere to keep my pc(from 2 bed flat 2 3 bed house??!!??) My compromise with my wife is that I can hopefully get rid of the tower and to hopefully fit it in my new gale hifi rack. I am still abit of a newb when it comes to building a pc although loved it last time out and enjoyed getting my feet wet but I was very lucky it turned on first time or id have been stuck!! :confused: I will probably need alot of help so hopefully u will be patient with me and all help would be great. I currently have an athlon64 3200+, asus k8v se deluxe motherboard, radeon 9600xt and 512 ram. I would like to use as much, if not all of this hardware to keep the cost down as ive just spunked 2grand on a plasma and the wifes only just starting to calm down. Can I buy a case that will 1) house the motherboard etc that I already have, 2) look nice pref. white or silver and fit in my rack, and it will need a 400w power supply. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated and thanx in advance for listening. :smashin:
    Just 2 add( Ihave rambled!) I will use it for films maybe hooking it up2 plasma for some hi-def and playing some games like cs-source. :D

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a slim-line case look at the Silverstone-LC11 or CTL / mediaPC.tv case. (effectivly the same case with different fascia).
    These are nice and relativly slim at 424 mm (W) x 96 mm (H) x 430 mm (D)

To be slimline these cases use risers, these are geared towards uATX boards, but ATX boards will fit but there'll be some jiggery pokery with flexi-PCI risers (the AGP riser supplied will be fine however). Other than that you should be able to keep all your current hardware for now...

PSU wise they come with a 250/300W PSU which is uATX format (smaller than std PSU's) - this is more than enough for the sort of system that you will be able to fit in this case.

If you really insist on a 400W PSU then you'll have to look at full height cases....