HELP! Broken plasma, will scaler help??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by propofolboy, Jul 30, 2012.

1. propofolboy

propofolboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've never used a scaler so don't even know really how they work, but I get the feeling they might be useful for me..

I have a 65" panasonic plasma. Unfortunatley it has developed a half height vertical bar in the lower left corner. Makes it very hard to watch. The upside is that to the right of this I have a huge viewing area if I could just move the entire picture into that area.

Could a scaler do this? If I input a signal from my cable box into a scaler with a horizontal adjustment, could I essentially shift the picture over to the area of the screen beside the vertical bar?
    If so, are there certain scalers that anyone would recommend. The input would be either composite or component, and the output would be hdmi, or component, or even a PC-RGB.
    Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Welcome to the Forum. :)

For such a wonderful tv, isn't it better (and possibly cheaper) to get it repaired properly, rather than what can only be a bodge?

3. Quaddy

Quaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    i know that the lumagen radiance xe can do what you want in terms of shifting a picture on screen with very fine increment control, unfortunately the cheaper mini wouldnt as it only has hdmi inputs, the bigger units deal with more input types, but am not 100% on whether the scaler will manipulate via a composite input - the dvdo scalers may also do this, i truly can't remember if the edge i used to have allowed image boundary/size control - if not, maybe the duo or higher end dvdo units may.

you would need to look at the online guff/manuals of each scaler to check

but ultimately TG is right, its an unfortunate workaround, a costly one, and unless there is some cheapish, inline box, other than a scaler that will allow image repositioning - then it may well indeed be worth thinking about another aproach to your issue.

4. bow79

bow79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Try and post in some computer forums. Software that can change how something looks for a moniter may be able to do it. To some extent it exsits within windows in that you can change the output resolution for different moniters. So hopefully its not too complicated. You can also allready magnify the screen and then move round it if you have bad eye sight. So there may be some combination of these 2 existing software options that could do something.

5. propofolboy

propofolboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all your help

yes it totally sucks, and unfortunately it is not repairable. I thought there was a hope it was the C4 bufferboard. I replaced that and the problem persisted, so the only other possibility is that the IC ribbon is damaged to that area of the screen, which is connected directly to the the plasma display and not fixable.

I was hoping there was something relatively cheap to do it... My plan was to move this tv from my media room to my workout room, and get a new one for my media room.

Anyway, thanks and maybe someone else has an idea too.

6. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,108
    A much cheaper option would be to find an older Lumagen HDQ or HDP video processor: They have the possiblity to rescale or simply crop the image to do what you want. They are available used for under £200 in the classifieds last time I saw one for sale.

They do have some limitations though: They can accept 1080/24p (with the later firmware) but only 1080/60i (and 1080/50i) so your PC would need to be set to output at this resolution or at 720/60p. They have DVI inputs, so you need DVI to HDMI cables for inputs and outputs. Also you can connect some analogue sources as well. They have lots of very detailed controls as well as an 11 band greyscale/gamma calibration control and a more basic control for the primaries on the colour gamut.

It took me quite a few days of fiddling about with a HDQ to get it sorted as they were really designed to be setup by a professional, so the controls are a bit cryptic. As said though they are cheap, so it depends on how much you are willing to persevere. FWIW I upgraded to a Mini3D in the end so I've probably forgotten some of the finer details of the HDQ/HDP, but as a work around it might get you out of a hole. :smashin:

7. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    which model is it some of the panasonic professional models have an display size option or you can reduce the screen size in the service menu

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
  8. propofolboy

propofolboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its the TH-65PX600U.
    I did go through the serviceman's menu, and there did not appear any way to change any of the screen positioning.

9. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    have you tried page 29 of the user manual option called hd size which will reduce size of picture from 100% to 97%
    when using PC normally you can adjust
    Adjust the horizontal position

p27 of user manual

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
  10. propofolboy

propofolboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Vinny41 yes the HD size does reduce the size slightly, but not even close to enough to move the pictures out of the area that has the vertical bar.
    As for your second point, that is why I'm writing in this forum. The TV has a VGA input, but my cable box doesn't have a VGA output, so I need something that converts from composite/component/hdmi to VGA to use that horizontal adjustment feature. I assumed that if i'm converting from something to VGA I'd need a scaler that would also be able to adjust the output to some degree.

11. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
    are you planning to watch HD as some cable boxes will limit the output of ccomponent to an anlogue port for copywright protection

12. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +311
  13. propofolboy

propofolboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think its realistic to expect to watch a HD 16:9 image, when I'm shifting things over 8 inches. I think i'd be happy with a 480 image with 4:3 sidebars, and then shifting it over so the left sidebar is moved off the left edge of the screen.