1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! Bought VSX811, don't like it!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by davidwatsonok, Jul 6, 2003.

1. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    On several recommendations from here I bought a Pioneer VSX811, but although the sound on movies (separation, depth, range) is awsome (Dolby Digital-EX(don't like the 7.1)), I think it sounds flat with music. The unit it replaced was a Yamaha DSPA2070, which for movies is obviously old hat (ProLogic Enhanced), but on music I loved the soundfield processing (Church for classics, JazzClub for blues etc.) with the seven speakers (extra front surrounds).

I haven't had chance to speak to the supplier yet (sunday, humph!) but they do have a Yamaha DSP-A1 (£350 more, eek!) on their website, which retains the 7 speaker setup and all the soundfield processing, but only lists Dolby Digital, DTS and ProLogic not DD-EX, DTS-ES(EX?) or ProLogic2.

With the DSP-A1, will I still get vastly improved movie sound over my old 2070 and will it be a near match for the 811 ?
    Also, will DVD-A/SACD from my Pioneer 656A be adequately catered for ?
    Would I be better off looking at the Yamaha RXV 5/6/740 (DD-EX, DTS-ES Matrix/Discrete 6.1, DTS Neo6) and ditching the idea of 7 speakers ?

P.S. On the 811, I can't seem to get sound from the rear speakers on DVD-A or SACD, any idea why ?

2. hindutimes

hindutimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same prolem as you are with my 2011. I hardly hear my surround sounds. Good thing there's an option to adjust the channel level for individual channels. So i've added 2.5dB for my surround after doing the auto set-up and it works alright.

You might want to go for VSX912 instead

3. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're not supposed to constantly hear surround speakers. When i was about 12 I was hellbent on far too much volume from my rears/centre rears. But in direct comparisons (pretty much) between my own system and a cinema you'll realise that almost all the action in a cinema comes from the front speakers - with the surrounds only very occasionally coming into play for effects.

Have you tried playing your music through the VSXD811 through Pro Logic II Music Mode? I found that most budget receivers perform better with music like this as it permits them to realise more of the detail & rhythm on a disc.

The reason you're not hearing your centre-rear with DVD-A/SACD is simply because they haven't been mixed for 6.1 playback. They're entering your receiver via a Six Channel Input which means your receiver doesn't apply and post-processing or decoding to them - it just amplifies the signal it receives, so it's not possible to hear any of these discs on centre-rear speakers anyway.

If you must replace the receiver try the Marantz SR range (not the SRX300 - as it's imminently due for replacement with a slew of far superior SRX400 products), or if you're willing to spend £350 more you're nudging into Sony STRVA555ES and Pioneer VSXD2011 territory (aswell as the Denon AVR3803) - which will provide you with far more musicality and a little more muscle & smoothness with movies.

4. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Dimmy, it's not the centre rear I can't hear as I haven't got one. It's the rear L&R surrounds.
    Given it another go today and I prefer music just in stereo with no processing. TV is very good using AdvSurround+Loudness. Movies still great but I miss the soundfield processing for music greatly.
    Gonna speak to supplier tomorrow to see what we can arrange. Any other views, particularly from Yammy owners.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that you are in a minority as most people view digital processing of music to be the spawn of the devil. Whenever I buy a new amp I have a quick flick through the soundfields to say if there have been any improvements then they are switched off again permanently.

If you can't hear sound from your rear speakers on DVDA or SACD you are very lucky. I don't like the way that these discs are mixed as I feel that there is too much from the rears so I tend to play them in stereo instead.

The Yamaha DSP-A1 was a £1,600 flagship in it's day but in the fast moving world of Home Cinema it is considered old fashioned as it doesn't have Pro Logic 2 or support for extended rears. It does have an input for external decoders so you can use it with your Pioneer 656 and it will play films to a high standard and has as many soundfields as you could shake a stick at.

Don't pay too much though

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yamaha DSP modes are rubbish (and yes I have owned a Yamaha) Too much echo and reverb. I only used straight stereo, even then the Yamaha wasn't anything brilliant in stereo- so got a stereo integrated amp.

If you want decide multi-channel sound from any source (CD) checkout Lexicon processors.. the music Logic mode is VERY good. I'm using the Music Logic mode more, rather my Hi-Fi stereo system.

Have you used a SPL meter to get the channels at the correct level?

7. davidwatsonok

davidwatsonok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I know where you guys are coming from, I also run a Cyrus amp/CDP set-up for music. I just like the choice. Sometimes on stuff like Enya/Clannad/McKennit or some classics the church setting is hauntingly entertaining. Its a fun thing, not a HiFi thing. Most of the others don't get used except Jazz/Rock clubs. I always liked the way Yamahas "Enhanced" ProLogic opened up the sound on movies, and it's this that's kept it running so long as it was ahead of everything else in its day. I'm gonna speak to the supplier tomorrow and see if he has a RXV5/6/740, but I dont hold much hope, I think they've dropped Yamaha as they've only got a few old topline ones in their clearance section of their site. I can only beg for a refund I think.

PS-The Cult "She sells sanctuary" on Church setting is awsome, but my neighbours disagree.
    PPS-I only paid £150 for the DSPA2070 2nd hand from a m8. A bargain for all the hours of fun.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You may be expecting a bit much from the Pioneer,David.....very few integrated AV amps/receivers do as well on music as a pure stereo system of comparable cost or less even....maybe keep the Pioneer for the AV stuff and use the Cyrus for CD?

9. Malice

Malice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you buy mail order/internet? If so don't your statutory rights allow you to return it within a given timeframe and claim a refund (less handling charge if appropriate)?

10. Tenex

Tenex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,066
    Distance Selling Directive - 7 days.