HELP ! Booked a holiday to Iceland in October but will have to isolate !

SyStemDeMoN

My wife and I stupidly booked a holiday in October half term to Iceland. She has always wanted to go and so with the dropping or restrictions at that time we book a 4 night holiday in Iceland.

A few weeks ago we checked about what would happen when we land.

We would have to isolate for 14 days OR pay for a test on landing an isolate for 5 days and then be tested again.

I have had a quick look on loveholidays to cancel this but they say we would loose everything.

Is there anything I can do ?

rousetafarian

My wife and I stupidly booked a holiday in October half term to Iceland. She has always wanted to go and so with the dropping or restrictions at that time we book a 4 night holiday in Iceland.

A few weeks ago we checked about what would happen when we land.

We would have to isolate for 14 days OR pay for a test on landing an isolate for 5 days and then be tested again.

I have had a quick look on loveholidays to cancel this but they say we would loose everything.

Is there anything I can do ?
Yes, you would have to isolate for 14 days OR pay for a test on landing an isolate for 5 days and then be tested again.

brodders1979

We are in the exact same position as you, booked 4 nights from 16th October and been holding out till now to see if anything changed for the better. Have you spoken directly to Loveholidays regarding cancelling the trip? Ours is booked with them too.

Have you checked if your accommodation allows for self isolation? Will try to find the link but not all hotels are allowing it, or even the Icelandic government are specifically saying whether they are allowed to or not (based on the size and ability to perform this at each individual hotel. If your hotel is not specified as allowing it then it gives you a stronger argument.

Loveholidays customers complain of refund hell – what you can try this link might be able to give you some advice/guidance.

Have you got Travel insurance, that might be the solution to getting your money back.

SyStemDeMoN

We are in the exact same position as you, booked 4 nights from 16th October and been holding out till now to see if anything changed for the better. Have you spoken directly to Loveholidays regarding cancelling the trip? Ours is booked with them too.

Have you checked if your accommodation allows for self isolation? Will try to find the link but not all hotels are allowing it, or even the Icelandic government are specifically saying whether they are allowed to or not (based on the size and ability to perform this at each individual hotel. If your hotel is not specified as allowing it then it gives you a stronger argument.

Loveholidays customers complain of refund hell – what you can try this link might be able to give you some advice/guidance.

Have you got Travel insurance, that might be the solution to getting your money back.
Hi thanks.
No I have not called them yet just checked online and I would loose everything. I will call them though.
I don't think our accomodation is suitable for isolation either.
Travel insurance was going to be my last step and like you we have been waiting to see if someone happens and its cancelled for us.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Eek. 5 days before the next test is a pain.

I’m booked (Flights only) for 7 days in March.

Seriously hope Iceland will have a better system by then.

As for the OP. I’m guessing his holiday company will say tough so travel insurance as others have said. Best case bump the holiday but that would need some friendly assistance from who he booked with.

SyStemDeMoN

Eek. 5 days before the next test is a pain.

I’m booked (Flights only) for 7 days in March.

Seriously hope Iceland will have a better system by then.

As for the OP. I’m guessing his holiday company will say tough so travel insurance as others have said. Best case bump the holiday but that would need some friendly assistance from who he booked with.
What do you mean by bump the holiday ?

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Change the date.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
Aye crazy.

I’ll be chatting to my friends next month about our March trip.

Luckily only flights paid for. Was about to book Airbnb but that can wait till post Xmas.

SyStemDeMoN

I have tried to cancel or change my booking through live chat and no go.
We picked a non refundable room so that is going against us.
My travel insurance said that they will only pay out if my wife or I get covid19 and will be infectious in the 14 day window that the holiday would take place.

Gutted.com

brodders1979

I have tried to cancel or change my booking through live chat and no go.
We picked a non refundable room so that is going against us.
My travel insurance said that they will only pay out if my wife or I get covid19 and will be infectious in the 14 day window that the holiday would take place.

Gutted.com

Who is your insurance with? Did you pay for the insurance when you booked the flights or like me have cover via your bank. Have you seen that Iceland has been added to the FCO list of Countries it now advises against all non-essential travel. Have a read of this....

Even though you're flights and accommodation are separate providers they have been compiled into a package holiday by LoveHoliday if you booked them together.

With package holidays, under the Package Travel Regulations you SHOULD be able to get a refund within 14 days even if the trip's not cancelled – see What if my package hol's not cancelled?

I wouldn't give up just yet, when were you due to fly? Likelihood with the current spread of this second wave your flight will get cancelled and that makes the refund process much easier.

If you paid by Credit Card then you could go through them to get the money back and by Direct Debit then just claim it back.

SyStemDeMoN

Who is your insurance with? Did you pay for the insurance when you booked the flights or like me have cover via your bank. Have you seen that Iceland has been added to the FCO list of Countries it now advises against all non-essential travel. Have a read of this....

Even though you're flights and accommodation are separate providers they have been compiled into a package holiday by LoveHoliday if you booked them together.

With package holidays, under the Package Travel Regulations you SHOULD be able to get a refund within 14 days even if the trip's not cancelled – see What if my package hol's not cancelled?

I wouldn't give up just yet, when were you due to fly? Likelihood with the current spread of this second wave your flight will get cancelled and that makes the refund process much easier.

If you paid by Credit Card then you could go through them to get the money back and by Direct Debit then just claim it back.
We got our travel insurance from Staysure as they were saying they covered for covid19.
We are due to fly on 27th October
Loveholidays are not taking calls so its all being handled through online chat but thanks I will look through the links you have shared.

What would I tell me Credit Card company to get a refund ?

brodders1979

Here's some information from the FCA

The main takeaway is below, looks like it is dependant on the flight being cancelled though.

What if the FCO has advised against travel to the area that I am travelling to?
If the airline or tour operator is still able to provide your flight or package holiday but you decide not to travel in these circumstances, you would not be automatically entitled to a refund from your flight operator or tour operator. You would therefore have no automatic right to make a chargeback or Section 75 claim. However, you should speak to the airline or tour operator to see if they can assist you further.

If the FCO advice is not to travel, you may have a chargeback or Section 75 claim if you cancel your booking in line with the provider’s terms and conditions but do not receive a refund when you are entitled to something back.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
My take is the foreign office is not saying don’t travel. Just recommending not to go. So airlines can and will still fly there If there is demand.

Disgusting behaviour from the foreign office (aka government) clamping down on holidays, when many a destination you visit will be safer than a trip to the local supermarket.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
My take is the foreign office is not saying don’t travel. Just recommending not to go. So airlines can and will still fly there If there is demand.

Disgusting behaviour from the foreign office (aka government) clamping down on holidays, when many a destination you visit will be safer than a trip to the local supermarket.
Huh? That is what they always have done when issues arise in countries. They recommend not going. What do you want them to say? If you go we will behead you?
But by recommending not going your are entitled to a refund from the holiday provifer

domtheone

Distinguished Member

SyStemDeMoN

Called the insurance and they wont pay up unless we get ill in the 14 days leading up to the date.

Loveholidays just keep saying that they are waiting until closer to the date. I could get a refund if I was going up to the 3rd October. They wont let me change date because the accommodation is non refundable.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
If you do some reasearch, you’ll see that there’s nothing to stop me from going to Iceland, bar the hassle of the Covid tests/quarantine on arrival.

Fine if it were for a month but when it’s only a week.....

My airline aint goiing to reinburse me just because the 2 countries have changed their QT rules.

Delvey

Distinguished Member
If you do some reasearch, you’ll see that there’s nothing to stop me from going to Iceland, bar the hassle of the Covid tests/quarantine on arrival.

Fine if it were for a month but when it’s only a week.....

My airline aint goiing to reinburse me just because the 2 countries have changed their QT rules.
There is. The FCO advises against travel. That is a completely different matter the quarantine rules.
I suggest you do some research, as I've been in the situation with both Tunisia and Egypt, the FCO dictates whether or not a country is safe to travel. If it advises against all but essential travel, they have deemed it unsafe.
This also allows you to claim back your right unter EU law 261.

brodders1979

We received this today about our trip to Iceland for 16th October. Hopefully you will get the same sometime soon if your trip is a few days after ours was planned for.
20200930_211133.jpg

You might want to log in and check the manage your booking section to see if it gives you the same options as ours which is a holiday voucher or request full refund.

SyStemDeMoN

It does no
We received this today about our trip to Iceland for 16th October. Hopefully you will get the same sometime soon if your trip is a few days after ours was planned for.
View attachment 1374281

You might want to log in and check the manage your booking section to see if it gives you the same options as ours which is a holiday voucher or request full refund.
It hasn't given any options like that at the moment. But good to know that it may still happen.

SyStemDeMoN

Obviously with love holidays leaving ABTA we have gone with the refund option.
When I booked my holiday it was still in ABTA. I have the email with certificate so hopefully will honour.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020

Latest News

Denon, Marantz and Yamaha AV receivers hit by HDMI 2.1 bug
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
McIntosh launches MX100 AV processor and MI347 power amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung updates and expands access to Samsung TV Plus
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published