HELP! Bluetooth audio transmitter from Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by AcidOverride, Feb 20, 2013.

1. AcidOverride

AcidOverride
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post on the forum so I apologise if this is in the totally wrong place. A friend pointed me here with the reassurance that you guys hold the knowledge to my problems!

I'm planning on setting up a music zone with one of my RPi's in the kitchen/dining room/conservatory so they will have to be portable. I will hook the RPi up to a 19inch LCD in the dining room so I have some form of display (the RPi is running XBMC btw). Now here's my problem; I have no clue what bluetooth devices to use to make my speakers portable. I have seen the Logitech Bluetooth reciever Logitech Wireless Speaker Adaptor for Bluetooth Audio Devices: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics which I would connect directly to the speakers. I have also come across the Nolan TX 3.5mm bluetooth transmitter Nolan Tx 3.5 mm Generic Bluetooth Wireless Stereo Music: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics which would be perfect to stick in the audio jack on the RPi..... But how the hell do you pair them?! When I look at all other examples of the Logitech receiver it instructs you to use the device you want to pair with it to find it in the device list. So if you want to play music off your iPhone for example just locate the receiver via the bluetooth device list! But seen as I'll be pairing it with a 3.5mm BT transmitter I wont have a device list to search with! MIND=BLOWN!

I hope someone can help me with is or come up with a better way of achieving what I want to achieve cos I'm stumped! Thanks in advance!!!

2. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    Confused but why can you not just connect the Pi to your speakers using the audio out on the Pi to whatever amp or powered speakers you are using. Pi also supports audio over HDMI so the TV could receive audio. Bluetooth is very low quality sound unless it uses the AptX codec which those two devices do not use.

Beyond that I would ask on the Raspberry Pi forums because you will need a bluetooth transmitter that is supported by the OS on the Pi

3. AcidOverride

AcidOverride
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They need to be wireless so I can take them in the garden or conservatory. If it was just for the kitchen/dining room I would wire them. I just need a way where I can play my music via the RPi (controllable using the XBMCRemote app) but take my speakers with me. I've looked into the mini BT dongles for the RPi and found compatible ones but then you have to mess with the config and set your USB as the main audio output, or so I've read. I just thought a BT transmitter and receiver would be a lot simpler. That Nolan Tx transmitter has decent reviews and people have said it pairs with their BT headphones and sounds fine! I've just seen this...... PMR Bluetooth Stereo TX + Rx Transmitter and Receiver Nolan which has both the transmitter and receiver. Maybe this would be better than using the Logitech mains powered receiver?!

4. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    Would it not be easier then to enable your Pi with wireless and use that that to stream to and plug that into the speakers as you will need power for the amp anyway wherever you take them. Info here Set up your Raspberry Pi wireless network

5. AcidOverride

AcidOverride
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I did think of doing it this way but thought it would be cool to have a display, meaning the RPi will need to be connected to the 19inch LED in the dining room. Maybe I'll just have to compromise on coolness for functionality :(

6. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,321
    My experience of buetooth audio is that it's not much cop over more than around 10 feet of free air. Start introducing walls & it struggles even more. I doubt it's a viable solution to what you want to do.

7. AcidOverride

AcidOverride
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Crocodile. I'm starting to think the same thing :( Maybe Ill just wire the lot n just run the speakers to where you can hear them from anywhere haha.

8. delback

delback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Be warned that the audio out on the Pi is pretty poor quality, with a fair amount of noise. I use a cheap USB->SPDIF converter and external DAC with mine. Others use various USB DACs. However, my understanding is that the Pi's USB implementation is quite flakey and whether it works is device-dependent. (Don't know about the HDMI out, never tried it).

9. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
  10. AcidOverride

AcidOverride
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you have to mess with your Pi's config file to get the audio out of the USB or did it plug straight in and work?!

Not seen them before, similar to an AirPort express right? Looks good for streaming music from a handheld device or PC but how would you play your music off a NAS?

11. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    Connect the NAS to your router and use a PC/iOS/Android/RPi to control the streaming to the receiving unit.

12. AcidOverride

AcidOverride
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm, so what we saying here? music comes from the NAS, through the router, to the RPi where it will play in XBMC, then out the RPi via USB to the Netgear extender, then through the air via WiFi to the receiver where the speakers will be plugged in? That make sense?

13. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    music comes from the NAS, through the router, to the RPi where it will play in XBMC,

Yes

then out the RPi via USB to the Netgear extender, then through the air via WiFi to the receiver where the speakers will be plugged in?

No - connect one Netgear to the router one end and at the external location connect the other Netgear to whatever amp you have, control whatever server software you have on the NAS using whatever remote control program you like on the Pi, ios, android, pc.

The review has all the info and a link to manufacturer's site.

14. AcidOverride

AcidOverride
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aahh so both the netgear transmitter and the RPi are connected directly to the router via ethernet? You'll have to bare with me, Im a total nub at this kind of thing ha! Hows this look.....

[​IMG]

... and I'll be able to control the music Im listening to with the XBMC Remote yeah? I dont see how this will work but like I said I'm no pro. On the review it says you can only control what is playing via iOS, an Android app or the netgear utility installed on a computer!!! I want to be able to control everything through XBMC!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  15. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    Best if you read this as that should answer most of those questions.

XAUB2511

Not sure if you will be able to control it using XBMC - ask on the RPi forums

16. AcidOverride

AcidOverride
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I looked on there too. Ive been scannin the web for 3 days now trying to figure this out haha. Its blowin my mind! I just need a way of getting sound out the RPi to some speakers without them been directly plugged into it!! You think it'd be simple!

17. delback

delback

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    In my case I was lucky and it worked by just plugging it in. The USB->SPDIF converter I use is one of those PCM2704-based cheapies you can get on eBay from Hong Kong for about 10 quid. (NB: this using the hard-float Raspbian "wheezy" image).

18. limegreenzx

limegreenzx
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +337
    I'm confused why the RPi can't be directly connected to your amp/speakers. The RPi can easily be made completely wireless with a WiFi dongle and a battery extender. IMO xbmc is not a good choice for a music player and you'd be better off using squeezeplug. You can run the Squeezebox LMS server on your NAS or an RPi. The RPi is able to run both the server and player software. The remote control apps for Squeezebox on android and ios are far better for music than the xbmc apps. I use Yatse for xbmc, but the Squeezecommander is better for music.

19. AcidOverride

AcidOverride
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This could be the way to go! I'll have to have a look at some different ones n weigh up my options. Thanks man.

Right I'll try explain. My original thought was to have the RPi hooked up to a little 19inch LED in the dining room, that way I could also watch video if I wanted. Music would probably be the primary use of this Pi but least the option would be there. The idea of having the speakers wireless is so I can move them into the conservatory, or even the garden. I've also looked at Squeezeplug and yeah your probably right but if I have all my Pis running XBMC saves me swapping between remote apps for each one. I like everything in one place haha.

20. AustinByrne

AustinByrne
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, did you have any luck with this? I want to do something very similar and had little success searching for a solution. Cheers.