Help! Blu-Ray on an Asus M3N78-EMH

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by chris081271, May 28, 2008.

1. chris081271

chris081271
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, i've just purchased a new mobo for my HTPC (Asus M3N78) which uses the new GeForce 8200 chipset which supports hardware decoding for blu-ray discs.

Anyway I built up my PC Windows Vista 32, all the latest drivers installed (Nvidia 175.16), My CPU is an AMD 64 X2 BE-2350 and 2gig of RAM installed.
    Installed and updated PowerDVD 7.3 and BluRay is unwatchable pausing and skipping everywhere, CPU is almost maxed at 90%+ I checked powerDVD settings and Hardware acceleration is ticked.

I then put my old ATI 2400 graphics card in the same machine installed the ATI drivers and tried the same movie again, this time the movie played perfectly with the CPU steady at around 40%

Has anyone else got a 8200 mobo and can get satisfactory playback of BluRay discs with minimal CPU usage?
    Any ideas where i'm going wrong on my install?

any help is much appreciated.

2. chris081271

chris081271
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No one with any experience with Nvidia 8200 cards and HD playback?

I also found out that BBC HD recordings I made previously also result in high CPU use and very choppy playback at 1080P. (All play fine using the ATI2400 on the same mobo).

I thought that these new chipsets should of been better at HD playback than my old ATI 2400 was at 1080P. So far it does not look good.

Maybe I would be better off RMA'ing this mobo and going for an ATI 780G chipset.

3. ollielou

ollielou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    i see on avs forums that pple are upping the ram for the integrated graphics in the bios to 128 mb or higher and it seems to do the trick:hiya:

4. chris081271

chris081271
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks ollielou, I gave that a try and still no joy, even tried 256mb with no luck :(

5. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Where did you get this board from. I thought they weren't around yet in the UK. Everywhere I look keep putting back stock dates. Latest is end of this week but they've been saying this for months. Many people having problems with HDMI sound and choppy video from these over in the states but its not just this board, also the Biostar and ECS which use the 8200. I would love one and I probably will get one to try as some people put them in and they work a treat. Having invested in a Dual Core 5600+ AMD I don't want to go the G35 route to get LPCM over HDMI so this is the best option for me when its released.

6. Wo0zy

Wo0zy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Do you see a difference in CPU utilisation between having HA enabled and disabled when playing SD video (DVD) through PowerDVD (even a small difference)?

Also, are you running at 1080P. Try dropping the resolution to 720P and see if that makes a difference (just for testing ;)).

Wo0zy

7. chris081271

chris081271
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1

Hi got mine from awd-it still shows stock and I received mine within 2 days.

WoOzy, i'll try your suggestions later when I get back from work.

Cheers

8. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Why did you have to tell me that. I've gone and bought one now. You'll have to let me know how you get on. I can see days of frustration coming my way. Not only with getting smooth 24hz 1080p video that I have come to expect from my ATI 2600xt but also with 7.1 LPCM over HDMI which I am gagging for.

I'll keep you updated.

9. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,585
    not with the same board, but i have an asus m2v-hdmi in my htpc. it was advertised as playing blu-ray no problem via the onboard graphics, with something like an 3700+. i put an x2 5000+ in there, could play 1080p mkv files no problem, but couldn't play blu-ray, stuttered everywhere. added a 2600xt and blu-ray is as smooth as silk. i don't trust on-board graphics for blu-ray playback

10. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I would be happy to use my 2600xp which plays blu-ray no problem but that will mean that I don't get the 7.1 LPCM through HDMI so I'm going to have to persevere and get this stuttering sorted (not that I have it yet :rolleyes: ). I will be putting in my 5600+ with 2gb Ram so there is no excuse as it says it plays 1080p blu-ray so it had better do. We'll see. Hopefully the OP will do some more tests tonight. :smashin:

11. Wo0zy

Wo0zy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    What CPU will you be plugging in?

I've been following the AVS thread with a good deal of interest to see how the 8200 chipset performs in "real" terms compared to Intel's G35 solution and it seems that renethx is fairly sure that the stuttering is caused by a HT bottleneck. Soooo in theory if you're coupling it with a Phenom you might be OK but if you're using an Athlon you may well have problems.

I don't think this fully explains the OPs problem though. That really does sound like completely broken HA but it could well be related.

Wo0zy

12. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    I've got a AMD 64 5600+ to put in it. I suppose I could always trade it and get a Phenom (whatever that may be - I'm a little out of touch).

If I start from a fresh blank drive. Do you think I'm better trying XP or Vista???

13. chris081271

chris081271
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone for the help and pointing me towards the avs thread, I had a good look through that and today someone else appeared to have the same issue as me today but stated that its smooth when set at 1080p 24hz.

Now mine has been running set at 60hz, so I tried it at 24hz and 'bam' blu-ray playback is perfect, and CPU utilisation is 50-60% :smashin:

Not sure why 50hz and 60hz causes such a mess to the system, probably either a driver issue or bios, but everything is good at 24hz so that suits me :D

Hope everything goes well with your set up as5606

Chris.

14. Wo0zy

Wo0zy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Sounds like pulldown (Inverse Telecine) is screwed again:rolleyes:

Glad it works for you. 24Hz is ideal for BD playback but anyone without a 24Hz capable display is going to be pis.. um upset.

Wo0zy

15. Wo0zy

Wo0zy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69

Phenom is the name of the latest gen AMD CPU's. They are what AM2+ was designed for. As you probably know AMD use integrated memory controllers (no North Bridge). Instead HT "Hyper Transport" controls accesss to RAM for all system components. With a Phenom the HT bus provides significantly greater bandwidth than the HT bus offered by Athlon CPU's. As IGP's share system RAM the performance of the HT bus is significant.

I can't believe I'm saying this but go Vista. For all the issues XP has no future.:suicide:

Wo0zy

16. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,585
    yeah, but don't you only want 24Hz for blu-ray?

everything else won't want it, anythign captured from tv for example

17. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks Wo0zy. Vista it is. As long as it plays 24hz 1080p, I'll be happy. Good luck with your new system Chris. Are you going to be utilizing the 7.1 LPCM over HDMI feature of your board?

18. Wo0zy

Wo0zy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Quick update for those not following the AVS thread.

It looks like the latest build of PowerDVD may have fixed the issue on Athlon CPUs without the need to OC the HT bus.

It may be time for me to finally bite the bullet and get one of these :rolleyes:

Wo0zy

19. Wo0zy

Wo0zy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Very true but I don't think the stuttering effects SD content running at 50Hz (or 60 if you must).

I guess there might be an issue if you use a DVB-S(2) card to watch HD broadcasts but I don't know.

Wo0zy

20. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Is this likely to help Chris with the stuttering on 50/60hz? Also, the trouble with PDVD is the damn removal of playing ripped BD's. Having to make ISO's of my films is a right PITA. Probably still will use it as its the most stable of all the others I've tried (Nero 8 / TMT) :rolleyes:

21. Wo0zy

Wo0zy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    It would certainly be worth ensuring that he is "up-to-date" on the PDVD build levels.

Going forward, I don't see you'll have such choice but to look at ISO conversion. The "men in black" at AACS were pretty pis..d at Slysoft and any player that supports playback of a standard "folder" rip will be under pressure to remove the feature (I suspect).

I think TMT shows great promise. What are the main issues you've had with it?

Wo0zy

22. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    TMT has just been a little unreliable. I tend to try on films that don't work on PowerDVD. I use 7.2 of powerdvd and that works on 95% of films. I've tried to use 7.3 (the latest one up until the HDD playback was removed) and it doesn't work for me. Most films don't play although the most annoying thing is the conflict it has with my logitec RF kb & touch pad device. It scrolls everything when I use my mouse pad. As soon as I go back to 7.2 it stops. Really weird.

TMT worked on 3-10 to Yuma and PowerDVD couldn't select the PLAY from the menu. I've recently got the new Rambo and strangly, that plays on my mates POwerDVD but not mine and not on TMT either. Funny freezing and no menu but sounds okay.

I'd love to find a Software player that works for everything. I also want to hear HD audio as having spend the best part of 10k on my system, I think it deserves it. My PS3 is the best at everything but I can only play region free or region A discs and I like the HTPC's ability to store films in one place for ease of watching.

I am a glutton for punishement though having to change hardware bits in my PC to get the best I can. Takes me a age each time I do it and I can see some major headaches coming on from this new Mobo :suicide:

23. Wo0zy

Wo0zy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    If audio is your "thing" check out http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=3324 before making a decision. Notice that it's bundled with a custom version of TMT which is probably not ideal for you but isn't totally unexpected.

I think ultimately you're going to have to "bite-the-bullet" with regard to ISO conversion so you can update your player software. PDVD8 recently released the BD profile 2 update and now TMT working with a PAP/AACS hardware solution is going to make it hard to resist ;)

I was an die-hard NVIDIA fan for years but the Vista driver fiasco has driven me into the arms of AMD/ATI and Intel over the past couple of years.

ATI for high-end and real low-end systems and Intel covering most of the middle ground. HD audio has been the missing link with ATI's solutions but the 4xxx series Radeons are set to change this and now with the option I linked to "just around the corner" and Intel's G45 in Q3 I may well not bother with this MoBo/Chipset at all based on the the problems that have been reported so far. I'm still undecided about it TBH. A few really positive reports would probably help sway me ;)

Wo0zy

24. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Thanks Wo0zy, yes I saw that link earlier this morning. Although its likely to be VERY expensive, It might just be the saving grace. There's even a chance I might light up my 905's bitstream light :eek:

I will let you know how my install goes. I was hoping for the new Mobo today but it looks like its not going to turn up so maybe tomorrow. I have a drive ready and waiting for vista and a long weekend of tweaking so I will report back my findings. :smashin:

25. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Sorry to hijack this thread somewhat Chris but Wo0zy, I wonder if you can tell me what I am doing wrong. Im waiting for my new board today and whilst I am waiting, I thought I would try Vista on my existing board and get powerDVD8 installed and an ISO of my films playing.

Trouble is, when I mount my ISO in deamon tools and then play them with Power DVD, all I get is "There is a disc with an unsupportive format in drive F:"

I've I've tried to play them with PowerDVD with AnyDVD running and not but still the same message.

I use IMGBurn to make the ISO's. It told me that it recognised them as Blu-Ray files so set UDF2.5 or whatever and the ISO file when opened has two folders BDMV and Certificate. I tried on two films. One used to play with no problems in 7.2 (Cars) and the other was 3.10 to Yuma which never worked on 7.2 but I was hoping it would in version 8.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

26. mossym

mossym
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,585
    didn't i read somewhere that the newest version of pdvd disabled playing back of locally stored images?

27. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    :eek:

28. Mr Ess

Mr Ess

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Just been playing a bit more. The ISO I created of Cars works in Nero8 Blu-Ray Player. 3-10 to Yuma doesn't. I suppose at least that proves my ISO for cars is Okay in some respect.

I uninstalled PowerDVD8 and installed it again without doing the 1730 latest update and it still says the same error about unsupported format.

I can't see anyone talking about the ISO option going from 1730 version on any other forums. I'm sure everyone would be shouting about it by now. Me included as I've just invested in a new board and wanted to use PowerDVD8.

Still no M3N78-EMH turning up yet either :(

29. chris081271

chris081271
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Right allthough Blu-Rays now appear to be working ok with low cpu utilisation. Watching BBCHD max's out the cpu (Using DVBViewer with PowerDVD selected for h264) again this works fine if using my ATI2400. Also tried 24,50 and 60 Hz with no effect :( hopefully this is just a graphics driver issue and will be fixed soon......hopefully.

as5606, no unfortunately I won't be utilising the 7.1playback i'm afraid i'm still stuck in the 5.1ch era :(

30. Blu4KHD

Blu4KHD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +417
    guy's am i right in thinking that this board outputs blu ray at 1080p with 7.1 lpcm audio through its onboard HDMI connector. if ti does this is the PS3 beater i have been waiting for.

Just a question if you play a blu ray through powerdvd and PDVD is outputting say either TrueHD 5.1 or DTS-HD MA 5.1 will this M\B with its HDMI connector convert that audio so that it is output as PCM to my amp.

thanks