• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Help! Best Camcorder???

• Thread starter latinoman231982
  • Start date
L

latinoman231982

Hye there

Im planning on going on holiday soon to South America and im lookin to buy a good camcorder for general amateur use.

As i havent got a clue could someone please advice me on whether its dv or mini dv as i havent got a clue. Im lookin in the region of 200-250 pounds to spend. PLEASE HELP

L

latinoman231982

So what do u guys think is the best camcorder i can get for that money??

beachy

Established Member
yes most definately mini dv, as thats the general concensus on here,if your just looking for general use ie holidays days out then take a look at some of the reviews for the panasonic,sony,canon in that price range,look for a decent optical zoom with image stabiliser don't bother to much about digital zoom as in that price range they are pretty much a waste of time,i have a panasonic nv-gs17 which you can pick up for about £190 it's very very basic but it does have a 24x optical zoom an image stabiliser plus a few different scene modes on it, and for what i want (mainly holidays) i am very happy with the picture quality, i'm certainly no expert but i'm sure there will be someone on here who can point you in the right direction. :smashin:

HansImGluck

Standard Member
Oiga Latinoman!
I am not an expert either (currently looking to buy a camcorder myself – see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312387
but from all the research I have done I would recommend a Sony, the HC-19 for example. Entry-level Sony cams have established a reputation for being the most user-friendly with excellent automatic settings and very good spec for the price.
If you are on a budget you should also consider other manufacturers: JVC, Samsung, Sharp, Hitachi. And look at the second-hand market. From what I have heard the camcorder market at the moment is fairly slow which is having a downward effect on 2nd hand camcorder prices as well as new ones.
One more question: are you going to edit your footage on a computer? You sound like you might not. In which case I would recommend looking at DVD camcorders as they allow you to edit the material using the cam and, voila, you end up with a neat DVD – no PC required.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom