1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP... Best 36" CRT

Discussion in 'TVs' started by neilldavies, Mar 12, 2005.

1. neilldavies

neilldavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dad and I are looking for a good 36" CRT to replace our much-loved Panasonic TX-28LD1 (4:3, 50Hz) which has just expired. We're considering models like the Panasonic 36PD50 and Toshiba 36ZP48 and want to know which is best. I realise the Tosh probably has better sound, but what about picture? I have been put off by some posts complaining of motion/blocking/smearing artefacts, 100Hz issues and convergence errors. I'm not expecting perfection, but I'd rather this be the fault of the source (eg. Sky Digital compression) rather than fancy over-processing. My dad watches a lot of fast-moving sports. I have also looked at the Sony 36HQ100, but even on the web this seems expensive; any idea why?? One final but important point: will it be possible to get HDTV via the component inputs, using an adapter? Can't find any CRTs with an HDMI input. Some help would be appreciated.

2. geese

geese

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I own the pd50 and its one amazing tv.I hear good things about the others too you mentioned, mostly the toshiba though.

3. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Both you mention(panny+tosh) are goot CRT TV's, plus you can get the Tosh cheap now in Currys @ £899 iirc.

High Def - still a gray area im afraid, check the High-Def forum for all the info you need, but from what i know only sets that have HDMI will be fully compatible with HD TV, but there was something i read about sky offering something hd-like for component inputs. IIRC JVC make a crt tv that has hdmi, can't remember model number but someone on these forums has one so i'd recommend a search. Oh and Sony, avoid its way way overpriced just because it's made by sony and it looks good(can't argue) but other than that the panny and toshiba trounce it.

4. del3917

del3917
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a Toshiba 36zp48 today, ordered it thursday from Totaldigital. It cost £795 + £40 for the stand and £20 delivery. It's huge but the picture and the sound are awesome.

5. billystevo

billystevo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive got a Panny tx 36 pl32 and find it brilliant if the digital bitrate is high, the picture is almost perfect. If you get a digital source where the bitrate is low you get shimmering and artifacts etc. I think most of the bad pictures on tv are caused by the source of the signal and not the tv.

6. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Spot on!

That's the downside of a big display, particularly with fancy digital processing.

Let's hope the broadcasters don't compromise the potential of Hi-Def.

7. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Neil I spent a long time pondering LCDs, Plasmas & CRTs.

For PQ it ended up with two choices for comp PAL PS. Toshibas 36ZP48P & Panasonics 32"PD30 or 36PD50, Well @ £1095 from JLs the Toshiba won, quite simply its an astonishing set, I was worried about the PQ from Digital TV but its on the whole quite stunning, on PAL PS mode from my SD-9500 its frankly one of the best pictures Ive ever seen on any screen. £1095 seem quite cheap when I consider the PQ from the TV. PS sound in DD 5.1 is also grin inducing. The cheapest I was getting the 32"PD30 was £1200. The Toshiba is a bargain IMHO.

HTHs

8. fdxd

fdxd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Remember none of the Toshiba's support 60Hz. For those who use 60HZ.

9. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43

What do you mean?

A friend of mine has the 32ZP48 and I was playing a NTSC game (60Hz) at his house via RGB scart and it definately looked like a RGB picture with no problems.

10. SJGIL

SJGIL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the Toshiba 36ZP48 and have no problems supporting 60Hz when using my PS2 via RGB scart.

11. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    FYI Dudes

Hmmmmmm :(

A rather sad turn of events last night with my 36ZP48P, towards the end of Minority Report noticed a tinny rattling / buzzing (quite noticable) from the TVs inetgrated left hand speaker, got gradually worse and worse (coming and going), at end of film tried a few different DVDs all exhibitsed same problem, switched over to anlg TV and problem there too. Had a good nights kip then tried again this morning :

One goosed Left speaker, constant ringing and rattling, sounds like a blown tweeter or something rattling about inside the speaker. Never played TV that loud even the whole weekend.

John Lewis are replacing the set on Friday. 1 problem with this new set on I will be invoking the 28 day return of good clause for a full refund, not JLs fault but QC at Toshiba seems a little awry, PQ perfect FWIW.

Drat horseplops, anyone had a similar problem or could point me towards a thread with the Toshs speakers giving up the ghost.

12. neilldavies

neilldavies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, had wondered about reliability issues with different brands - it's a big purchase after all. Shame nothing is built like a tank these days; you can be lucky or unlucky! Hope you get a good set next time, CJ. Obviously both the Tosh & Panny are great TVs. The Tosh is tremendous value at around £885 (inc. delivery) from various outlets. The best offer I found on the Panny is £1175 from Digital Direct with DVD/VCR combo thrown in, which I don't want but could re-sell unopened. Haven't yet decided which telly to buy; gonna try to find shops that have them on display (not that easy). At the moment I'm slightly drawn to the Panasonic, based on past experience and compatibility with my same brand DVD and VCR. It's also a newer model with (I think) nicer aesthetics. Could always add a quality surround system at some point.

13. zaphod99

zaphod99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been looking at getting the 32ZP48. Seen a 36ZP48 in the shops however am not quite convinced about the picture quality. For example, footballer being interviewed after a match. Picture quality of head and flesh tones truly excellent. However surrounding brownish curtains didn't look so good in places. In particular one quite large area which had noticeable boundaries between the various curtain shades, which would then flick from one shade to another when the curtain moved. It looked like depth information was being lost. Like when the colour depth for a bitmap is reduced. Is this caused by:

1) The result of digitally processing the image.
    2) The settings for the TV not being optimally configured.
    3) The quality of the signal entering the TV being poor.

Or a combination of all three. The TV will mostly be used with analogue or freeview and DVD. No Sky. Otherwise, the safe option is the 32DX51 which seems to offer a pretty good 50Hz picture.

Also seen that the PD50 has fallen in price, although the current package deal at unbeatable looks a bit suspect.