help before I order an optoma HD200x from Play.com

tom_0787

I have been looking at what projector to get for a few weeks now.

The audio side now is fully sorted so all that's left is a projector and screen.

Play are offering up the optoma HD200x with a free 84in pull down screen for £649 with a dispatch time of one to two weeks.

The screen would only be used to get us going as we need to replaster and decorate the living room at which point we will be going for a 100"ish screen.

Is there anything else worth considering over the hd200x in this price range?

Has anyone else bought one from play? Why the 2 week dispatch time and what are play like for aftersales service?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
There's a used 200x in the classifieds now for £400 + shipping if not already sold still got 3 months warranty left.

winzentween

Novice Member
or go to tesco and collect the next day for £600 and if you dont like it u can return it within like 14-24 days! i bought one and am checking it out then if not 100% happy will return it no probs.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
He who hesitates is lost:devil:

winzentween

Novice Member
Noooooooo! oh im so pleased i bought it last week at £600! even the refurb version is £500 so that was a real steal and it works great but at £700 id get an epson 3200 used instead...? good luck

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Get it ordered quick then.

tom_0787

Ordered for delivery Tuesday!

Just hope the mount I've ordered from eBay gets here before the weekend so I can mount it and size up for an mdf screen.

I've seen your thread on your DIY screen, what gray paint do you reccomend as I will have to make do with the light walls for now.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I used Dulux clouded slate 3 which is now a discontinued colour but you can get it mixed up at any B&Q by quoting 00NN 72/000.

tom_0787

Brilliant, thanks for that.

So am I right in thinking that the way to do this is to-

Mount projector
Project image onto wall and measure
Add a couple of inches to allow for border and have wood cut to size.

Using the screen size calculators I should be able to achieve about 100"

And am I correct in thinking you used the loop side if velcro from dunelm as a border?

I'm thinking of mounting it slightly off the wall and backlighting it for a bit of a feature.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Yes sir mount pj point at wall get size required and either use full 8 x 4 sheet or cut to size allowing extra for the border.

Looped side is correct for velcro.

I would not have the screen backlit other than for effect when you are NOT playing a movie it will spoil your image.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom